IC5Notice: We have upgraded developerWorks Community to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
Topic
  • 17 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-30T14:22:22Z by SystemAdmin
msiegel
msiegel
7 Posts

Pinned topic additional DOORS forums?

‏2008-11-03T19:22:47Z |
Hello dpechacek , kbmurphy,
Thanks for your comments in the welcome thread. I moved it to a new thread to keep the further discussion from clogging up a welcome note.

I'm Marc and I help manage online communities for Rational. Welcome to the new world of IBM. I can sympathize with your situation because I too came here via two successive acquisitions and was dumped into the developerWorks Jive forum world. I consider it my job to help make your transition to developerWorks forums and community as smooth as possible.

You'll find I don't know a thing about DOORS but I do have experience in helping build online customer communities and making the best of transitions. I/dW/IBM believe that ownership of these forums is a shared responsibility between IBM and our customers. Responsibility brings authority. So if ya'll insist that you need six distinct forums for different categories (general, admin, change mgmt, defect tracking, DXL, enterprise ops), I'll help make it so.

But let's please consider the options rather than blindly replicating what was.

What is the level of activity in the various subjects? If there is high activity (30+ messages per week),then I agree that going in it makes sense to segregate traffic. But if it is a relatively small number (< 15/wk), then avoiding splits until traffic increases may be preferable.

Unfortunately, the current forums on developerWorks do not support sub-forum groupings. But there is an option besides 6 separate forums. Consider combining some of the six topics (low volume) into one forum and sorting my using short code in the subjects. For example, a DXL messages subject might read
"DXL: sharing a pointer…" while an admin would be
"ADMIN: Configuring a Linux printer…"

In this way, various things (like searching) are simplified, but people can sort messages at a high level. It does take some community discipline to enforce this workaround, but given the vigor of messages so far, I'm guessing this group could make voluntary subject labeling work.

If traffic increases to the point where the community decides it is time to split off a topic into a completely separate forum, it is easy to do that down the road.

One final option: if a shared wiki repository is helpful (do you have docs/info to share in a group way), we can provide one of these for the DOORs community.

I'd be interested to hear from other folks on desirability of six separate DOORS forums.
Yours, Marc
Marc Siegel
IBM Rational developerWorks Community Manager
408.705.0666 (personal cell), email: marcsiegel at us.ibm.com
Updated on 2009-04-30T14:22:22Z at 2009-04-30T14:22:22Z by SystemAdmin
  • dpechacek
    dpechacek
    8 Posts

Re: additional DOORS forums?

‏2008-11-03T20:17:44Z  
    www.phpbb.com.

No some of the other subforums on the Telelogic site aren't as active as the DXL or general ones but its nice to be able to go to one group knowing that topics there will be along the topic you're looking for.
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    165 Posts

‏2008-11-03T21:53:18Z  
    Marc,

The DOORS forums aren't the most active places on the Internet. I'd say there are probably between 10-15 new posts a day, on average.

Some of the old forum categories definitely did not get used much. Some haven't had a post since 2007.

I don't think prepending the category to the subject line is a good idea because we have many people who come online just to post one message and I can't see them following protocol. We also have a few people whose first language isn't english and you'd just be introducing a hurdle to them and annoying the avid posters.

If you split the forums into different categories, I'd like to see:

DOORS DXL
    DOORS Administration
    DOORS General Discussion
    DOORS Integrations

One final question, Marc--are these dW forums indexed by Google and the like? If not, that's another big advantage to posting elsewhere, aside from the fact that I'd do as David suggests and implement a PHPbb solution, thus ensuring that the forums could be located anywhere.

We've just been burned before.
  • msiegel
    msiegel
    7 Posts

‏2008-11-06T00:43:42Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2008-11-03T21:53:18Z
    Marc,

The DOORS forums aren't the most active places on the Internet. I'd say there are probably between 10-15 new posts a day, on average.

Some of the old forum categories definitely did not get used much. Some haven't had a post since 2007.

I don't think prepending the category to the subject line is a good idea because we have many people who come online just to post one message and I can't see them following protocol. We also have a few people whose first language isn't english and you'd just be introducing a hurdle to them and annoying the avid posters.

DOORS DXL
    DOORS Administration
    DOORS General Discussion
    DOORS Integrations

One final question, Marc--are these dW forums indexed by Google and the like? If not, that's another big advantage to posting elsewhere, aside from the fact that I'd do as David suggests and implement a PHPbb solution, thus ensuring that the forums could be located anywhere.

Hello kbmurphy
    Thanks for the data on the traffic. 70-100 posts per week is a lot. I'm glad to learn that the DOORS community is so vibrant. Party on! If ya'll want 4 separate forums (DXL, Admin, Integration, general), I'm personally fine with that but I do not believe it is the wisest choice. I need to ask a bit around IBM so see if there are any dissenters but I doubt there will be. I'm also really hoping for a few more opinions from additional customers. Anybody, anybody?

But let me make one last pitch for something less than 4 forums for 70-100 posts/week. Additional forums make for various hardships: multiple places to browse, segemented searches, etc. Prepending subject codes do work. Please take a look at the Rational Quality Management forum
    Sorting messages by tags mainly works. Even as a casual browser, you can see something is up with the subjects. With a little upfront effort by the community, it isn't hard to make it work. (By the way, this example is 95% RQM because the forum just transitioned from a 4-prodtc beta to GA release, so many of the RPT and RFT threads have already been moved to their respective operational forums.) It works. Consider giving it a try to simplify forum logistics.

That points out one more consideration. It is easy to split from 2 forums to 3 or 4 as increased demand calls for it.

The forums are certainly searched by Google and the like. In fact, I personally find that the search engine there is way better than dW's (don't tell certain BigBluers I said that).
    Do the search on Google and constrain the results to only dW forum pages. To do that, use this format in the search box on google.com:
    "XXsearch termXX" site:http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums

I'll have more to say on the other issues later. I gotta go play "soccer Mom" just now. Just two weeks left in the season.
    Yours, Marc

Marc Siegel
    Updated on 2008-11-06T00:43:42Z at 2008-11-06T00:43:42Z by msiegel
  • msiegel
    msiegel
    7 Posts

‏2008-11-06T11:41:17Z  
    • dpechacek
    • ‏2008-11-03T20:17:44Z
    www.phpbb.com.

No some of the other subforums on the Telelogic site aren't as active as the DXL or general ones but its nice to be able to go to one group knowing that topics there will be along the topic you're looking for.
    Hello David,
    Thanks for the response, but I'm not sure what you were suggesting with phpbb. I'm guessing it may be because that forum software supports sub-forums and perhaps you were hoping we'd install and run it?

If so, sorry, but it can't happen in IBM. That might have been possible at my earlier 100-person startup, but IBM has a whole lot of different considerations. For example, scale. Presently we run 1500 forums and that'll likely grow a lot over the next few years. There are business/political issues since Lotus (an IBM brand) plays in this space. We have to deal with corporate rules about server hosting environments, 508 compliance. legal rulings on name formatting, look and feel, integration with IBM single sign on, etc, etc. There are good things about being part of IBM, but with that comes a lot of loss of flexibility.

Besides, I doubt phpbb will make it so that forums can be hosted anywhere, at least it wont' do any better than our Jive or prior solutions. The issue with migration isn't just simply hosting but more complex issues like user IDs, fragile links from earlier migrations, bluewashing material, etc.

So for better or worse, we are stuck with our present forum solution until we migrate again in the second half of 2009.
    Yours, Marc

Marc Siegel
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2008-11-07T00:30:33Z  
    • kbmurphy
    Marc,

DOORS DXL
    DOORS Administration
    DOORS General Discussion
    DOORS Integrations

Hi,

I would like to add my support for the 4 DOORS forum categories that Kevin Murphy listed in his post.

Even though there may only be a relatively small number of posts in the current DOORS forums, the number of people who view these posts I believe is very large. So maintaining seperate forums for DXL, Admin, General Discussion and Integrations I think is essential and would go a long way towards easing the transition to the IBM DW Forums by providing Telelogic forum users with a reasonably familiar environment. A single DOORS forum risks being perceived as a retrograde step.

Whilst most of my experience has been with DOORS, I'm currently working with a client that uses RequisitePro and have been using the IBM DW Forum area to watch the "Requirements Management & Reqpro" Forum. What I don't like about this forum is that it is not sub-categorised , so I highly recommend that sub-categorisation is retained for DOORS.

The Telelogic Forums also have a daily digest option which is a highly convenient way to view and stay in touch with posts on a daily basis. Does the DW Forums have this feature?

Paul Miller
    EuroCyber
    Melbourne, Australia
  • kkusman
    kkusman
    1 Post

‏2008-11-10T23:18:32Z  
    Hi,

I would like to add my support for the 4 DOORS forum categories that Kevin Murphy listed in his post.

Even though there may only be a relatively small number of posts in the current DOORS forums, the number of people who view these posts I believe is very large. So maintaining seperate forums for DXL, Admin, General Discussion and Integrations I think is essential and would go a long way towards easing the transition to the IBM DW Forums by providing Telelogic forum users with a reasonably familiar environment. A single DOORS forum risks being perceived as a retrograde step.

Whilst most of my experience has been with DOORS, I'm currently working with a client that uses RequisitePro and have been using the IBM DW Forum area to watch the "Requirements Management & Reqpro" Forum. What I don't like about this forum is that it is not sub-categorised , so I highly recommend that sub-categorisation is retained for DOORS.

The Telelogic Forums also have a daily digest option which is a highly convenient way to view and stay in touch with posts on a daily basis. Does the DW Forums have this feature?

Paul Miller
    EuroCyber
    Melbourne, Australia
    I would also like to add my support for the 4 categories.

I don't believe including the category in the subject line will be effective in the long run. Often times, the subjects are misleading, but having posts organized within forum categories provides additional context.

Also, if I'm interested in reading Administration-type posts, I don't necessarily want to traverse posts about DXL or anything else, so, it would be nice to keep the topics separate.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2008-11-11T10:21:54Z  
    I also agree that we'd need a couple of sub-forums, at the very least General and DXL Exchange as topic areas. The old forum presented you with a very straightforward front-end and allowed you to jump to the topic of interest. Personally, I can't see people prefixing questions with DXL: or General:, because they will forget to do it. Tagging is useful, but a decent search facility would be far better, especially as users can and do use all sorts of phrases to describe a problem.

Also, does anyone else find this forum slow to open a thread? I get a long delay before the thread opens or if I jump back to the previous page.
    Simon Haydn BSc (Hons)

Requirements Controller
    Marshall Aerospace (UK)
  • Craig_Cordrey
    Craig_Cordrey
    70 Posts

‏2008-11-11T10:29:22Z  
    I also agree that we'd need a couple of sub-forums, at the very least General and DXL Exchange as topic areas. The old forum presented you with a very straightforward front-end and allowed you to jump to the topic of interest. Personally, I can't see people prefixing questions with DXL: or General:, because they will forget to do it. Tagging is useful, but a decent search facility would be far better, especially as users can and do use all sorts of phrases to describe a problem.

Also, does anyone else find this forum slow to open a thread? I get a long delay before the thread opens or if I jump back to the previous page.
    Simon Haydn BSc (Hons)

Requirements Controller
    Marshall Aerospace (UK)
    I'm not sure I ever posted to the Telelogic Forum, but I did view it often and the segregated forusm helped tremendously. So another vote for 4 separate forums.
  • Dartguru
    Dartguru
    22 Posts

‏2008-11-11T15:17:43Z  
    I'm not sure I ever posted to the Telelogic Forum, but I did view it often and the segregated forusm helped tremendously. So another vote for 4 separate forums.
    I "do" post on the Telelogic forums and second Craigs comment.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2008-11-11T22:29:16Z  

Simon Haydn BSc (Hons)

Requirements Controller
    Marshall Aerospace (UK)
    > Simon_Haydn wrote:
    > Also, does anyone else find this forum slow to open a thread? I get a long delay before the thread opens or if I jump back to the previous page.

Yes, I also find the performance of the DW forums to be slower than the Telelogic forums.
    Paul Miller
    EuroCyber
    Melbourne, Australia
  • Bob_Swan
    Bob_Swan
    36 Posts

‏2008-11-12T08:48:39Z  
    Casting my vote for the 4 categories.
    Though I admit that I don't know what the 'integrations' part covers, (interfacing with other tools?)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2008-11-12T12:50:22Z  
    • Bob_Swan
    • ‏2008-11-12T08:48:39Z
    Though I admit that I don't know what the 'integrations' part covers, (interfacing with other tools?)
    I would also like to cast my vote for the 4 forums. It would also be very helpful for the contibuted dxl scripts to be captured and organized for easy access - with no implied warranty of course. Here is a suggestion for how to organize the repository which is based on the old kitchen categories. At our office dxl scripts are stored in a DOORS module that also has attributes for Detailed Description, Source (where did you get it/ who created it), Licence Required?(yes/no),License (to store the license if needed) and then an attribute to store the script itself. There are simple and complex scripts in our collection which have been acquired from the forums, UGCs, and other websites. (Try googling DXL DOORS)

1 Access Rights
    2 Attributes
    3 Columns
    4 Change Proposals
    5 Counting, Calculations
    6 Export
    7 Filters
    8 History
    9 Import
    10 Links
    11 Modules
    12 Objects
    13 Projects
    14 Rich Text
    15 Status Transition
    16 Triggers
    18 Miscellaneous
    19 WEXP
    20 Kitchen
  • msiegel
    msiegel
    7 Posts

‏2008-11-13T05:40:38Z  
    • kbmurphy
    Marc,

DOORS DXL
    DOORS Administration
    DOORS General Discussion
    DOORS Integrations

Hello,
    Okey doke. I hear ya'll loud and clear about wanting the 4 forums. Andy and I planned to leave this thread open for about a week to let lots of people chime in. But, at this point, there are about a half dozen unanimous opinions asking for 4 forums and soundly rejecting my proposal of subject prefixes. In addition, we've heard privately from another 4 influential folks. Okay, okay, we do listen and learn from our fellow community owners. Even if a few folks felt like the multi-forum path was not best, it seem inconceivable at this point that the overall opinion of the community would shift so drastically. So without further ado, we're creating the extra forums.

Within about an hour, you'll find four forums as follows:
    Telelogic DOORS general discussion (this one): http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=1499

Telelogic DOORS Administration: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=1503

Telelogic DOORS Integrations
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=1504

Telelogic DOORS DXL
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=1527

Henceforth, please start posting using these categories.

I took a quick shot at the forum descriptions. If you have improvements suggestions, please do share them publicly or privately.
    Yours, Marc
    Marc Siegel
  • kbmurphy
    kbmurphy
    165 Posts

‏2008-11-18T14:55:24Z  
    • Bob_Swan
    • ‏2008-11-12T08:48:39Z
    Integrations covers integrating DOORS with other tools. IBM/Telelogic feature integrations for ClearQuest, Quality Center, and other tools. There are also other vendors that have developed 3rd-party integrations.

There is surprisingly little documentation out there about how these integrations work. The old forums had no place to discuss these, so it was kind of a chicken/egg problem. Having this forum area will likely result in a nice knowledgebase in a year or two.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2008-11-20T15:01:42Z  
    • kbmurphy
    • ‏2008-11-18T14:55:24Z
    Integrations covers integrating DOORS with other tools. IBM/Telelogic feature integrations for ClearQuest, Quality Center, and other tools. There are also other vendors that have developed 3rd-party integrations.

There is surprisingly little documentation out there about how these integrations work. The old forums had no place to discuss these, so it was kind of a chicken/egg problem. Having this forum area will likely result in a nice knowledgebase in a year or two.
    Good news on the split of the forums, I'm looking forward to the integrations forum a lot.
    Nice to see many of the old stalwarts here already.
  • karringordon
    karringordon
    9 Posts

‏2009-04-01T15:12:54Z  
    Is it possible to search all DOORS forums simultaneously? I have not found a way to do this, and instead, must initiate separate searches of each forum for the same string. This is annoying and time consuming.

Also, I saw that someone previously mentioned the need/usefulness of a "daily digest" which would show all recent postings, regardless of specific forum category. Is this available somewhere? I agree, this feature would be very useful, I used it a lot on the old Telelogic forum.

Finally, a deficiency I find on both the new and old forums, is discussion of DOORS/Analyst. This could certainly be more a lack of contributions versus a forum infrastructure problem, but I have found it very difficult to glean any forum input regarding DOORS/Analyst, and usually must resort to opening a support case. Am I the only customer out there trying to use DOORS/Analyst? Or just the only Analyst customer looking for guidance?!

Thanks,
    Karrin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1084 Posts

‏2009-04-30T14:22:22Z  
    I'm just so thankful I finally refound my lost DOORS forum, I'll probably not be able to tell you how difficult this site was to find. If anything, put in a glossary somewhere on IBM's home page so we DOORS users can learn how to translate your corporate-Speak, which obfuscates more than it clarifies.

I come with one purpose: to easily find links to specific DOORS forum topics. Right now, it's "How do I do a DXL coding exercise to make 'ABsolute Number' a default in 'FIND' along with Object Text? (I could care less about the current default 'Object Heading', as we want our requirements to stand alone.)

Having lost some excellent tools in the past due to corporate acquisitions such as CADRE's set of tools, I am afraid that DOORS will go the same way, as the effort in development is watered down. That's what I've seen in the past. Plus, IBM a marketing genius, makes life intolerable by charging for every comma added after the original sale (they ruined Rational in this manner).

Cheers,
    Alice Brown