Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-10-31T16:49:58Z by GKeller
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
47283 Posts

Pinned topic to change the regustry server and region names on control panel applet

‏2008-10-29T12:28:26Z |
Hi all,

recently I have migrated all my vobs to new server. There i have changed My registry server name & registry region tags. Now Migration part everything succeded but we have around 500 clients. i need to change in all the clients machines.

Is there any mechanism that i can give it to users by changing it with one script.

ALL kind of suggetions which will reduce my work is heartly accepted.

regards,
  • martina
    martina
    1025 Posts

Re: [cciug] to change the regustry server and region names on control panel applet

‏2008-10-29T17:41:52Z  
    what OS? *nix or Win?
    solutions differ depending on that

Martina
    Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    http://www.releaseteam.com
    IBM Rational Certified Consultants
    IBM Business Partner

On 10/29/08, Rational ClearCase <disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    >
    >
    > recently I have migrated all my vobs to new server. There i have changed My
    > registry server name & registry region tags. Now Migration part
    > everything succeded but we have around 500 clients. i need to change in all
    > the clients machines.
    >
    >
    >
    > Is there any mechanism that i can give it to users by changing it with one
    > script.
    >
    >
    >
    > ALL kind of suggetions which will reduce my work is heartly accepted.
    >
    >
    >
    > regards,
    >
    > 137542
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > cciug mailing list
    > cciug@lists.ca.ibm.com
    > Unsubscribe:cciug-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com<Unsubscribe%3Acciug-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com>
    >
    >
    what OS? *nix or Win?
    solutions differ depending on that

--
    Martina
       Don't Postpone Joy - Have Fun

ReleaseTEAM Inc
    http://www.releaseteam.com
    IBM Rational Certified Consultants
    IBM Business Partner

On 10/29/08, Rational ClearCase <disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:
    Hi all,

recently I have migrated all my vobs to new server. There i have changed My registry server name &#38; registry region tags. Now Migration part everything succeded but we have around 500 clients. i need to change in all the clients machines.

Is there any mechanism that i can give it to users by changing it with one script.

ALL kind of suggetions which will reduce my work is heartly accepted.

regards,

• GKeller
    GKeller
    38 Posts

Re: to change the regustry server and region names on control panel applet

‏2008-10-29T22:39:54Z  
    Since you mention control panel we will assume Windows.

The following registry keys can be updated on Windows to change those values. Below are the keys for ClearCase 2003.06. You will want to verify if running another version. Update these with your new host names.

If you have access to local DNS, a handy tip would be to create DNS CNAME aliases for these and use the aliases.
    Then when you want to move things around in the future just change the DNS aliases in one place to avoid updating all the clients.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Atria\ClearCase\CurrentVersion
    "SmtpServerHost"="my-smtp-server"
    "AtriaRegy"="my-registry-server"
    "LicenseHost"="my-license-server"

If Linux, look at ways to update the file:
    /var/adm/atria/rgy/rgy_hosts.conf

Hope this helps.
    Greg
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2008-10-30T05:36:57Z  
    • GKeller
    • ‏2008-10-29T22:39:54Z
    Since you mention control panel we will assume Windows.

The following registry keys can be updated on Windows to change those values. Below are the keys for ClearCase 2003.06. You will want to verify if running another version. Update these with your new host names.

If you have access to local DNS, a handy tip would be to create DNS CNAME aliases for these and use the aliases.
    Then when you want to move things around in the future just change the DNS aliases in one place to avoid updating all the clients.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Atria\ClearCase\CurrentVersion
    "SmtpServerHost"="my-smtp-server"
    "AtriaRegy"="my-registry-server"
    "LicenseHost"="my-license-server"

If Linux, look at ways to update the file:
    /var/adm/atria/rgy/rgy_hosts.conf

Hope this helps.
    Greg
    Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. In *nix i can write a shell script by manually changing the registry information.

But i am completely new to windows to handle this situation. As you said i have tried and able to change the details properly.As you told about DNS aliases i dont have idea on those.

could you plese give me a step by step perlscript to modify the details automatically if i run it from my command prompt.

I am really feel so happy if you provide little more information on DNS aliases...i would like to try it.
    /137542
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    47283 Posts

‏2008-10-31T03:33:26Z  
    I had exact requirement last month. i collected all Clearcase users email ID from my Active Directory (based on their primary group subscription) as it was tied with my LDAP server. Sent notification to all the users to change their setting by mentioning steps.

then i started monitoring on my new server's registry for the region. It was increasing... The whole process took 2hrs to complete for the 400 users. You may want to try this if it is flexible for your setup.

Thanks
    Bala
  • GKeller
    GKeller
    38 Posts

‏2008-10-31T16:47:02Z  
    Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. In *nix i can write a shell script by manually changing the registry information.

But i am completely new to windows to handle this situation. As you said i have tried and able to change the details properly.As you told about DNS aliases i dont have idea on those.

could you plese give me a step by step perlscript to modify the details automatically if i run it from my command prompt.

I am really feel so happy if you provide little more information on DNS aliases...i would like to try it.
    /137542
    Deployment of the registry changes can be done many ways. First create a file with the desired registry changes. This can be done via regedt32, file->export to .reg file. The resulting .reg file can be supplied to regedt32 to update the remote registry. Deployment method will differ depending on your environment. If the systems are all in a AD domain, a login script could be used. Alternately something like the psexec tool can execute the regedt32 on many systems.

On the DNS trick, you would need access to your local DNS server or request the alias from the network admin.
    Example, my real registry server is named "host44", my real license server is named "host45"

Create a DNS alias called "CCReg" that points to "host44" Update clients to use registry server "CCReg".
    Create a DNS alias called "CCLic" that points to "host45" Update clients to use license server named "CCLic".

In the future if I need to move the registry server to "host50", change the alias "CCReg" to point to "host50" and all clients will start using the new registry server without any client changes required. Hope that helps.
  • GKeller
    GKeller
    38 Posts

‏2008-10-31T16:49:58Z  
    Hi Greg,

/137542
    Deployment of the windows registry changes can be done many ways. First create a file with the desired registry changes. This can be done via regedt32, file->export to .reg file. The resulting .reg file can be supplied to regedt32 to update the remote registry. Deployment method will differ depending on your environment. If the systems are all in a AD domain, a login script could be used. Alternately something like the psexec tool could be used to execute the regedt32 on many systems.

On the DNS trick, you would need access to your local DNS server or request the alias(es) from your network admin.
    An example, lets say my real ClearCase registry server is named "host44", my real license server is named "host45"

Create a DNS alias called "CCReg" that points to "host44" Update all clients to use the registry server "CCReg".
    Create a DNS alias called "CCLic" that points to "host45" Update all clients to use the license server named "CCLic".

In the future if I need to move the registry server to "host50", I just change the DNS alias "CCReg" to point to "host50" and all clients will start using the new registry server without any client changes required. Hope that helps.
    Greg