• 2 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-10-23T10:59:21Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5837 Posts

Pinned topic DB2 Administrator

‏2008-10-23T10:01:23Z |
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if it sounds off topic but please help m, because your replies will really effect on my decision:

I have been in touch with DB2 and its administrations tasks, and i want to extend my abilities on administration part. meanwhile I have a offer for being a DB2 administrator for a company. I am interested to take the opportunity and take the risk and go for it. I know I can improve very soon and i can learn many things in a short period of time and i can handle it. but what do you think? do you think I can handle this? how much knowledge a database administrator must have ?

currently I am a system engineer and a java developer and have been in touch with Oracle and DB2 for a bout a year. I am interested to be a DB2 Administrator and I would like to know i any of you is a DB2 Administrator and want to know how difficult this job is? should i go for this job with this kind of knowledge? should I just start it off as this is my favorite field? consider this that I am fast learner...

please help me :) i really need your replies..
Updated on 2008-10-23T10:59:21Z at 2008-10-23T10:59:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • igorM
    igorM
    265 Posts

Re: DB2 Administrator

‏2008-10-23T10:51:23Z  
    Hi,
    it depends on how big the DB2 system is (how many databases, how many servers etc...) and depends on operating system. For example DB2 for Linux/Unix/Windows is not the same database as DB2 for zOS.
    Regards,
    IgorM
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

Re: DB2 Administrator

‏2008-10-23T10:59:21Z  
    • igorM
    • ‏2008-10-23T10:51:23Z
    Hi,
    it depends on how big the DB2 system is (how many databases, how many servers etc...) and depends on operating system. For example DB2 for Linux/Unix/Windows is not the same database as DB2 for zOS.
    Regards,
    IgorM
    Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Actually yes, you are right. let me check on that and I will let you know, do you have any other comments? anything regarding the DBA tasks or something like that :). does it look like scary? (Being a DBA)

If you want to name the "must know" things what would you name? (I know DB2 and the admin tasks, there are still things i need to know, i just want to synchronize my knowledge with the experts and other DBAs, with those who are currently DBA and support Production Databases)

I appreciate if others could share their ideas. I have no body around me for the time being and need to consult with you guys :)

Regards,
    /Meisam