2 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-10-23T10:59:21Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5837 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DB2 Administrator

‏2008-10-23T10:01:23Z |
Hi guys,

I'm sorry if it sounds off topic but please help m, because your replies will really effect on my decision:

I have been in touch with DB2 and its administrations tasks, and i want to extend my abilities on administration part. meanwhile I have a offer for being a DB2 administrator for a company. I am interested to take the opportunity and take the risk and go for it. I know I can improve very soon and i can learn many things in a short period of time and i can handle it. but what do you think? do you think I can handle this? how much knowledge a database administrator must have ?

currently I am a system engineer and a java developer and have been in touch with Oracle and DB2 for a bout a year. I am interested to be a DB2 Administrator and I would like to know i any of you is a DB2 Administrator and want to know how difficult this job is? should i go for this job with this kind of knowledge? should I just start it off as this is my favorite field? consider this that I am fast learner...

please help me :) i really need your replies..
Updated on 2008-10-23T10:59:21Z at 2008-10-23T10:59:21Z by SystemAdmin
  • igorM
    igorM
    265 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DB2 Administrator

‏2008-10-23T10:51:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,
    it depends on how big the DB2 system is (how many databases, how many servers etc...) and depends on operating system. For example DB2 for Linux/Unix/Windows is not the same database as DB2 for zOS.
    Regards,
    IgorM
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      5837 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DB2 Administrator

‏2008-10-23T10:59:21Z  in response to igorM
      Hi,

Thank you for replying.

Actually yes, you are right. let me check on that and I will let you know, do you have any other comments? anything regarding the DBA tasks or something like that :). does it look like scary? (Being a DBA)

If you want to name the "must know" things what would you name? (I know DB2 and the admin tasks, there are still things i need to know, i just want to synchronize my knowledge with the experts and other DBAs, with those who are currently DBA and support Production Databases)

I appreciate if others could share their ideas. I have no body around me for the time being and need to consult with you guys :)

Regards,
      /Meisam