14 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-05-26T18:56:10Z by RSDDS
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
106 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Why choose Ruby on Rails?

‏2008-10-08T19:35:55Z |
Why choose Ruby on Rails?

What are the reasons to choose Ruby on Rails over other programming languages?

As a matter of fact Ruby language was created much earlier than even PHP, but it was used for the most part in Japan. The situation remained like this until Rails came in, owing to David Heinemeier Hansson. Combined Ruby language and Rails framework, or simply Ruby on Rails, have become a powerful and highly effective tool in developing web applications, used by programmers all around the globe. Moreover, Ruby has a great future as it's quite possible that in a few years other even better frameworks designed for it will appear.

Of course one couldn't claim that Ruby is the best programming language ever and is a solution to everything. There are people who criticize it telling that it's slower that other programming languages already available. It all depends on the purposes and the skills of the programmers. Apart from objective advantages and disadvantages there are also preferences.

The major advantages of Ruby on Rails:
* Ruby has a simple syntax, close to the natural language

* Ruby code is easy to read and understand, as well as to maintain

* It is best suited for beginner programmers as the language is much easier than PHP or Java for example

* It is a fully object oriented programming language

* Ruby on Rails is open source. This means that it can be used for free, easily improved and modified

However, in order to be unbiased, let us specify some negative sides or it's better to say some imperfections of Ruby on Rails:
* Since Ruby and Rails framework are still relatively new to the programming world, it would be better to refrain from building large scale business-critical applications on it. There is still no general backup plan in case your servers crash

* For the moment Ruby is truly slower than PHP or Java. This could also result in the necessity of adding more resources to your system than in the case of other wide spread programming languages

As far as you can see, there are a lot more advantages than disadvantages on why to choose Ruby. Moreover, it is extremely difficult to surpass Ruby's major virtue. This language has turned programming from a complicated time-consuming process into a simple and quick task. Ruby on Rails - a programming language truly worth mastering. ruby programming
Updated on 2012-07-05T12:41:09Z at 2012-07-05T12:41:09Z by annaharris
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    106 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Why choose Ruby on Rails?

‏2009-08-10T18:50:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Rails is like Agorism. Big on hype, short on documentation. Just kidding. Well, kinda.

I toyed around with RoR two years ago. I ended up sticking with PHP. People who think they can jump feet first into RoR without knowing Ruby are asking for trouble. Especially on a project where the existing system is already in production.

When the majority of articles you find on the software are opinions of good or bad and not tutorials, you may be in for some trouble.

Dallas divorce lawyer
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      106 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-28T14:52:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring,

I'm a Perl developer and, over the past few years, have developed a database-driven web application from the ground up. I've felt the pain of trying to keep my database, application and presentation layers in sync.

I'm just getting my feet wet with Ruby on Rails and I've been blown away at how straightforward it is to get a DB-drive site on its feet in an extremely short space of time, allowing you to focus on your specific needs, instead of building your own framework.

I think hangglider7 makes a good point; no matter how simple Rails makes things, you're still dealing with Ruby, so you'll need to spend some time getting to grips with that. However, I think (hope?) that a seasoned developer should be able to figure Ruby out with a small amount of effort and anyone who has written web apps from scratch will most definitely find Rails a joy to start with.

It remains to be seen, for me, whether Rails lives up to it's promise. I'll keep you posted :)
      • GeneXus
        GeneXus
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-10T18:25:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Ruby vs. .Net vs. Java vs. Perl, etc? GeneXus supports, generates the code, for multiple languages, as well as creates the database, such as DB2, SQL Server, Informix, Oracle, etc. It is a very productive IDE & framework for Ruby development, the language. It offers much more to the developer than what RoR, the framework offers.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    106 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-06-22T14:56:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I think Ruby on Rails is for the advance users. The basic web developers still prefer to stick with PHP.
  • appscomputer
    appscomputer
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-21T13:10:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I really liked this thread. Very informative. If you need any help cleaning infected files from your computer visit a site called [url=http://www.computer-answers.com]http://www.computer-answers.com[/url]. It has really helped to get rid of virus and spyware from my systems. I like what i watched.
  • melanie14
    melanie14
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-03-11T02:00:34Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    From what i have read in articles though there is a lot of praise for Ruby on Rails in a lot of situations developers are better served with PHP as it is more mature and scales better with large applications there is also more work for PHP developers and a much larger collection of tutorials, sample code, and open-source classes for you to learn from.

[url=http://jesussite.com/articles/choose-hot-tubs.html]steve barbarich[/url], [url=http://choosehottubsdirectcharity.org/m]steven barbarich[/url]
  • melanie14
    melanie14
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-03-11T02:05:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    From what i have read in articles though there is a lot of praise for Ruby on Rails in a lot of situations developers are better served with PHP as it is more mature and scales better with large applications there is also more work for PHP developers and a much larger collection of tutorials, sample code, and open-source classes for you to learn from.
    steve barbarich, steven barbarich
    • kaile12
      kaile12
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-29T05:29:54Z  in response to melanie14
      Yes, this is completely right, I am to agree with this that Rails is like Agorism. and I think this is a big reason to choose this one,
  • gwv2
    gwv2
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-29T10:15:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Ruby on Rails has been popular for the past couple of years, but it seems to me that developers never really moved there- all the big up and coming web applications are being built in PHP.

http://www.goworkit.com
  • gwv2
    gwv2
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-05-29T10:15:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Ruby on Rails has been popular for the past couple of years, but it seems to me that developers never really moved there- all the big up and coming web applications are being built in PHP.

http://www.goworkit.com
  • zabalex
    zabalex
    6 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-10T16:18:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    My development team is involved and has been involved in many implementations of website design and development services using Rails (Ruby on Rails).
    End result is for medium to large size websites, Rails offers better ROI due to:
    Quicker Launch (sometimes in less than 50% of time)
    Easier Changes (easier to add new features or change back end structure - data model)
    Cost Effective (without compromising the quality get better and quicker results)

We often use Ruby on Rails for:
    eCommerce
    Membership Sites
    CMS
    Custom Solutions

Website Design San Francisco
  • annawatson12
    annawatson12
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-10-31T11:55:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I really like this thread.very informative.

Laptop Screen Repair
  • annaharris
    annaharris
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-07-05T12:41:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The benefits of Ruby on Rails:
    • Quicker launch
    • Easier changes
    • More cost-effective
    Ideal solution of the following categories:
    • E-commerce
    • Membership sites
    • Content management
    • Custom database solutions
  • RSDDS
    RSDDS
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-05-26T18:56:10Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hello Zabalex,

I'm wondering if you were to save time developing such website as ours using Ruby on Rails http://www.richardschmotterdds.com:

We have MySQL driven website with Joomla 3.

What kind of improvements should we expect?

Updated on 2013-05-26T18:56:51Z at 2013-05-26T18:56:51Z by RSDDS