Topic
  • 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-11-11T21:33:14Z by Luciano Torpedo
JohnKnutson
JohnKnutson
126 Posts

Pinned topic Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

‏2008-10-01T15:30:07Z |

What is the CICS Explorer?

The CICS Explorer is:
  • A common, intuitive Eclipse RCP-based environment for architects, developers, system administrators, system programmers, and operators.
  • An integration point for the CICS runtime environment, providing a rich set of CICS views, data, methods, and widgets.
  • Extensible by IBM, other vendors, and customers, to deliver integrated solutions to key CICS users.
  • A Software Development Kit (SDK), which can be used by clients and business partners to construct and integrate their own plug-ins.
  • Initially available as a SupportPac, from November 5th 2008.

-----------------------------------------------------

Why use CICS Explorer?

Managing CICS systems currently requires staff with experience of legacy systems. Using CICS Explorer removes the learning curve for staff with little or no legacy system skills, and reduces the number of user interfaces required.

What is the CICS Explorer SupportPac?

The CICS Explorer SupportPac:
    • Is the first GA delivery of Explorer.
    • Supports CICS TS V3, using CICSPlex SM Data Interface.
    • Provides concurrent releases of plugins for existing CICS tools - CICS CM, CICS IA, and CICS PA.
    • Enables some of its components to be exploited by Rational Developer for System z

Are the CICS Explorer and the SupportPac the same thing?

Yes. The SupportPac mechanism will be used to deliver the CICS Explorer until the next major CICS delivery is available. As additional function is added to base or tooling, plugins will be enhanced to provide support.

Do I need to have all the CICS Tools to exploit the CICS Explorer?

No. You can use the CICS Explorer on its own, without any product plugins. However, you benefit from a more complete experience and greater value when you have more tools.
      ----------------------------------------------------

Do I need to deploy CICSPlex SM to use it?

The Explorer SupportPac uses the CICSPlex SM API to access CICS resources; However, you do not have to use CICSPlex SM to manage your configuration. All that is required is to have a WUI server, with one or more managed regions.

Do I have to buy it?

No. The SupportPac is available without charge, if you have a CICS TS license. The CICS Explorer will be a part of the next major delivery of CICS and also part of CICS TS V3.2
      Existing CICS Tools licensees can download plugins that will work with the current releases.
      Updated tool-specific plugins will be shipped with future releases.

Does the CICS Explorer replace the CICSPlex SM WUI?

The CICSPlex SM WUI provides browser-based access to all CICSPlex SM function, and will continue to do so.
      The CICS Explorer provides an Eclipse Rich Client Platform (RCP) installed client providing a light weight but rich, integrated user experience.

Where should I put future investment - Explorer or WUI? How do I choose which interface to use? Do my staff have to learn both?

Use the interface that best meets the needs of the end user and installation concerned.

Can you connect to multiple WUI servers?

The question relates to displaying information from multiple connections of the same type; for example, if I have a connection to WUIServerA and another to WUIServerB, can I have both connections active at the same time?

Currently, you can define multiple connections of the same type, but only one of each type can be active at one time. However, it's straightforward to reconnect. You can also open a second instance of the CICS Explorer, and point that at the other WUI server.

Management of connections isn't obvious. Can we have a connection menu item like operations and administration to connect and manage connections?

tba

I seem to have to switch between connecting to a system and establishing the correct perspective for that type of data. Will there be an application tab on the navigation pane, like Business Application scoping in CICSPlex SM?

tba

How do I open a new tabular view?

To open a new operations view, click Operations on the CICS Explorer menu bar, and, in the list provided in the pop-up menu, select the view you want to open. If you want to open an administration view, click Administration on the CICS Explorer menu bar.

How do you deal with overlap of function from different tools, when more than one product provides similar function?

tba

How do I know which plug-in I'm using and how do I configure which I want to use?

tba

How long does it take to configure

Not long at all, probably less than a minute per configuration, as long as you have the IP port data available. When configuring for a large installation, you can create a configuration file and use the Eclipse update facility to propagate the configuration to all users, making a standard configuration available for the whole user community.

If Operations use the same PC for multiple users, how will they gain access to the views they need?

tba

Can I import, export, and share views and where are they kept, so that I can back them up?

tba

Is Explorer a replacement for the WUI?

tba

When I open a view, what is displayed?

This question relates to WUI tabular and detail views compared with LOCTRAN pane and attributes pane.

WUI tabular views have a specific subset of a resource table content. There can be multiple detail views; for example, partitioned to types of data (like CICSRGN)

How do I get the equivalent of a hyperlink, providing contextual navigation between data in the WUI (tabs and details, for example)?

These are not available in the SupportPac.

What are the default layouts shipped for each resource?

Default views shipped should match the WUI views that are shipped.

Will there be containment views?

The CICS CM plug-in shows definitions in groups. The SM plug-in has tabs showing each resource type.

Can I sort on columns, as I can with a spreadsheet?

You can sort on columns with the CICS PA plug-in, because the data for CICS PA Explorer is provided locally. For CICS IA, CICS CM, and the SM plug-in, data is accessed remotely using a lazy access mechanism to improve performance; in this case sorting would require that all data is pulled at once. We are currently looking into how we can meet both of these needs.

Can I do multiple filters on columns?

Not in the SupportPac.

Can I do searches?

Yes, for the CICS IA and CICS SM plug-ins. Other search capabilities are being investigated.

How do we customize attributes and placement?

You can drag and drop columns, and you can customize views using attribute selection pull-down menus.

Can I have multiple (different) views of same resource table up at same time?

Yes, with the CICS PA plugin.

How do I launch the CICS Explorer?

tba

How do I customise the CICS Explorer?

tba

What help facilities are available?

Help is available in the Help menu.
      Context available help is available using the F1 key.
      Hover help is also available.

Can I export a tabular view to a spreadsheet for reporting or further analysis?

tba

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 7, 2008 9:08 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 7, 2008 9:16 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 7, 2008 9:22 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 7, 2008 9:29 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 9:29 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 10:16 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 10:34 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 10:35 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 10:36 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 10:37 AM

Edited by: NickPB on Nov 11, 2008 10:48 AM
Updated on 2009-11-11T21:33:14Z at 2009-11-11T21:33:14Z by Luciano Torpedo
  • JohnKnutson
    JohnKnutson
    126 Posts

Questions raised on Nov 5 web cast

‏2008-11-18T18:23:52Z  
    We received over 100 questions on the recent CICS Explorer web cast, so it has taken us much longer than we'd hoped to respond to them all. Many questions related to common subjects, so we've consolidated some of them and responded accordingly. We've also grouped the questions, and will post them and the answers as sub-threads to this one.

If you feel that your question has not been fully answered, or if you have supplementary questions, please post a reply to the relevant sub-thread.

John Knutson - CICS Tools Marketing - IBM
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    270 Posts

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

‏2009-09-22T15:28:37Z  
    Thank You,

This Faq it's very helpful

Torpedo
    Torpedo Gratis
  • Luciano Torpedo
    Luciano Torpedo
    1 Post

Re: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

‏2009-11-11T21:33:14Z  
    I belive that feature was called by "explore" because in a certain way it can be compared to a browser. Very good!
    Construção e Reforma Torpedo