Topic
  • 17 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-10-26T02:06:48Z by SystemAdmin
juicee
juicee
42 Posts

Pinned topic Who wants DB2 Express-C 9.5.2?

‏2008-09-29T21:07:49Z |
Hi folks,
this is an informal survey to check if anyone is interested in an updated version of DB2 Express-C. Since there are no fixpacks for the free version of DB2 Express-C, if IBM were to release an update, it would be in the form of a full refresh of the install images. (Note that fixpacks are only available to customers who have purchased DB2 support/subscription).

These refreshed product images would be at DB2 V9.5.2 level that is DB2 9.5 GA level plus all of the enhancements, bug fixes (APARs) and security patches included with DB2 V9.5 fixpack 1 and the recently released fixpack 2. (The currently available DB2 Express-C images are at V9.5.0 i.e GA level from Nov 2007).

Another option is to wait until a future DB2 V9.5 fixpack is released and refresh DB2 Express-C product images at that stage.

If you want to see DB2 Express-C refreshed sooner, or don't really care (e.g. because thing are running smoothly for you), or can wait till later in the year or next year, please respond to this thread with your preference and of course feel free to chime in with additional comments:

A. Yes, update free DB2 Express-C to 9.5.2 at the earliest
B. Hold of refreshing DB2 Express-C until a later time
C. Don't care

Here are some links to stuff that would get included if DB2 Express-C is to be updated to the 9.5.2 level (option A) however note that some stuff (e.g. High Availability, partitioning, etc.) would not apply to the free version of DB2 Express-C:

Product enhancements/changes:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.db2.luw.wn.doc/doc/c0053323.html

Defect fixes (APARs):
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&uid=swg21293566

Security Patches:
http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=71&uid=swg21318189
-Rav Ahuja, Product Manager
Updated on 2008-10-26T02:06:48Z at 2008-10-26T02:06:48Z by SystemAdmin
  • dugal
    dugal
    26 Posts

Re: Who wants DB2 Express-C 9.5.2?

‏2008-09-29T23:06:36Z  
    Hello

We are absolutely desparate for an updated release of DB2 express-c.

There are critical issues in the fix packs that we really, really, really need.

Not having the latest fix packs is causing us major business issues.

Please bring out an updated express-c as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks

Andrew
  • dugal
    dugal
    26 Posts

‏2008-09-29T23:23:52Z  
    As an aside - although I understand IBM's policy on not making fix packs available for express-c users, it concerns me that this leaves security vulnerabilities open.

I wonder if IBM should release express-c fixpacks that address security vulnerabilities?

Andrew
  • PaulColby
    PaulColby
    43 Posts

‏2008-09-29T23:43:56Z  

As I've posted several times on this and other forums, for me, DB2 Net Search Extender is the single worst aspect of using DB2. So I would be extremely keen to get access to a new Express-C release even if no other reason than it should include the DB2 Text Search feature that was added in Fix Pack 1.

BTW, I know that the Fix Pack 1 (not sure about Fix Pack 2) version of DB2 Text Search is in its initial stage of integration, and as such does not include all of the functionality that DB2 Net Search Extender provides. However, the current DB2 Text Search does include all of the functionality that we use from DB2 Net Search Extender, so I would strongly prefer an immediate release, instead of delaying a possible release until DB2 Text Search has been extended further.

So, in short: Yes, I would love to get a new DB2 Express-C 9.5.2 release as soon as possible! Please! Please! Please!!? ;)

Paul.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2008-10-01T13:37:17Z  
    Hello
    I would like to vote for option "A. Yes, update free DB2 Express-C to 9.5.2 at the earliest".

We could benefit from the fix packs. There are a couple issues that we encounter on the base product that are resolve when we installed fix pack 2.

This will keep development and production environments at the same fix pack level.

Thanks
    James
  • nivanov1
    nivanov1
    53 Posts

‏2008-10-01T16:48:56Z  
    I vote for option A.

www.datori.org
  • scotdb
    scotdb
    31 Posts

‏2008-10-03T19:56:11Z  
    I'd vote for having an updated Express-C image as soon as possible.

There are critical pureXML bugs fixed in Fixpack 2, including some which I discovered and am currently having to work around for Express-C customers.

I'd also vote for every fixpack to be made available as an Express-C refresh.

I'd further vote for the ability to apply fixpacks to Express-C : not doing so makes it more difficult for me to roll this out for customers. Fixpack 1 Universal could be applied to Express-C, even although it wasn't supposed to; they "fixed" that "bug" with Fixpack 2 !!!

I'm delighted that there are Ubuntu packages available of Express-C and indeed have just deployed this for a customer. I'm hopeful that whoever packages this will do a good job of making the upgrade easy.

Phil Nelson
    ScotDB Limited
  • Z-Company
    Z-Company
    310 Posts

‏2008-10-04T21:07:08Z  

I would like to see fixed windows db2expc installer instead of just refreshing included db2 image. Refreshing just included db2 image only does not help us much.

current windows db2expc installer has 2 major problems:

installation fails with weird error message in unsupported languages
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=222053&tstart=45

complains about DEBU0000.CAB missing. For example repair function from installer do not work.
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14024945&#14024945

It would be great to improve check during installation under windows Vista if installer really runs with superuser rights.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2008-10-06T17:50:47Z  
    I also vote for option A.

Just out of curiosity, there is a support option for DB2 Express-C called DB2 Express-C Subscription. How does IBM address Fixpack related issues for those customers that pay for support on the Express-C product?

Thanks,
    Todd
  • juicee
    juicee
    42 Posts

‏2008-10-07T05:35:38Z  
    I also vote for option A.

Just out of curiosity, there is a support option for DB2 Express-C called DB2 Express-C Subscription. How does IBM address Fixpack related issues for those customers that pay for support on the Express-C product?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Thanks for the feedback so far ... keep your input coming.

Wrt the question about customers who have purchased the Subscription (aka FTL) for DB2 Express-C, they have access to DB2 fixpacks, security patches, and sometimes special fixes as soon as they are made available. And they can open tickets (called PMRs) to get support (electronic and voice) with issues they may encounter with DB2. So if the free version of DB2 Express-C is updated, it doesn't really impact the paying customers, however if you want to upgrade from the free version, just purchase the subscription and install the license key.
  • juicee
    juicee
    42 Posts

‏2008-10-07T05:36:57Z  
    • Z-Company
    • ‏2008-10-04T21:07:08Z

I would like to see fixed windows db2expc installer instead of just refreshing included db2 image. Refreshing just included db2 image only does not help us much.

current windows db2expc installer has 2 major problems:

installation fails with weird error message in unsupported languages
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=222053&tstart=45

complains about DEBU0000.CAB missing. For example repair function from installer do not work.
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14024945&#14024945

It would be great to improve check during installation under windows Vista if installer really runs with superuser rights.
    Z-company - if the issues you mention were to be fixed in the refresh, would you still vote for B?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2008-10-08T05:41:00Z  
    Definitely a refreshed update is in order (option A)

For the future of DB2 it is important that DB2 Express-C be consistent with the supported/paid versions.

It would be great if DB2-Express-C free versions had the same fix packs or refresh images issued on the same or slightly delayed schedules as the paid version. IMHO, there is quite a bit that the DB2 team can learn from the success of the Red Hat model.

And please be consistent with your message on hardware and memory restrictions. We understand you need to keep the lights on, but consistency is key.
  • Z-Company
    Z-Company
    310 Posts

‏2008-10-08T17:22:11Z  
    • juicee
    • ‏2008-10-07T05:36:57Z
    Z-company - if the issues you mention were to be fixed in the refresh, would you still vote for B?
    Yes i do. Issues with db2 installer are just annoying to our new customers, nothing hard to deal with (they call our support). Our largest tables in production on db2 expc have about 1,5*10^9 rows and we have no problems with about ~60 db2expc installations in production.

From comments here i think most users see 'A' as 'get db2 fixpack without paying for FTL' option. They needs learn to pay for software maintenance.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2008-10-09T13:59:41Z  
    I very strongly prefer option A. And hope 9.5.2 becomes available in October 2008 so it can be selected as the default/bundled DBMS for a new product.

Having 9.5.2 available would eliminate the "not likely to ever be refreshed and therefore unreliable" argument.

I'm having trouble convincing others to make DB2 Express-C the default database for a new product because 9.5 has been out for almost a year and the Express-C version didn't get refreshed at all. The strongest competitor is PostgreSQL 8.3.4 which has a much smaller installer while having all the features needed (and it gets updated quickly if a security bug is found).

Please help me counter the "DB2 Express-C 9.5 is not likely to be refreshed and therefore unreliable, lets just use PostgreSQL" argument in an upcoming SMB product.

I want DB2 Express-C to be selected because I love the free training videos and the installation response file. The response file feature is really fantastic and would make bundling this DBMS much easier (and more flexible) than others.
  • misho
    misho
    17 Posts

‏2008-10-09T23:41:50Z  
    I vote

Misho
  • juicee
    juicee
    42 Posts

‏2008-10-20T22:46:31Z  
    • misho
    • ‏2008-10-09T23:41:50Z
    I vote

Misho
    Ok, we hear you.

Looks like most of you think its about time for an updated refresh of DB2 Express-C, so we will be putting out a beta of DB2 Express-C 9.5.2. Windows 32-bit should be out soon. Other platforms, Linux, Solaris, Mac, and 64-bit versions will follow in the coming weeks.

In addition to general feedback for the beta, one thing we need specific input for is the change in download size. I'll start a new thread to get your input.
    Updated on 2008-10-20T22:46:31Z at 2008-10-20T22:46:31Z by juicee
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts

‏2008-10-21T08:52:37Z  
    Hello,

I vote for A.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5837 Posts