Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-12-11T01:11:29Z by SystemAdmin
ek1975
ek1975
1 Post
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Silent PDF printing in Batch on the mainframe

‏2008-09-17T13:37:25Z |
Hello, I have created PDF files on the mainframe using Java/iText. Now I need to print them directly to network printers dynamically controlled by the application without opening the PDF (silent printing).

I can't print the PDF (using Java/JCL/Any other way) to the printers directly (unless it's some sort of "Level 3 printers"), I tried to convert the PDF to Postscript file and print it using a JCL. That didn't work either. Although I don't know how to convert the PDF file to a PCL on the mainframe, will converting the PDF to PCL and printing it using a Java program or a JCL help?

Has anybody had any luck with ghostscript or xpdf or XSL-FO?

I would really appreciate your suggestions/input. Thanks for your time.
Updated on 2012-12-11T01:11:29Z at 2012-12-11T01:11:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • venkatsalem
    venkatsalem
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Silent PDF printing in Batch on the mainframe

‏2008-11-03T23:57:17Z  in response to ek1975
    Now it is possible to print PDF document from pure java API using PDF Renderer open source.

You can find sample code in the below link.
    http://venkatsadasivam.wordpress.com/2008/11/03/java-print-pdf/
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      4447 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-11-20T12:53:48Z  in response to venkatsalem
      Did you try acroread ? I heard acroread helps to print pdfs somehow.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    4447 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Best J2EE frameworks?!

‏2008-12-04T23:23:01Z  in response to ek1975
    Hello! I'm a jdev who always try to use the best frameworks & technologies to deploy my projects. Sth like: Struts, hibernate, Ajax & etc. Although I always search throw the new technologies & frameworks because likely some of them are better than the famous ones.

A few days ago I was searching throw the eoslist.com which introduced the 84 best J2EE frameworks, tools & technologies. I found a new framework named Shine-app. Reading its description encouraged me to test it. So I downloaded it. It was really interesting!

Shine seems so nice but I can't trust on it yet because I don’t know it very much if you have any information about it please let me know about it more.

Thanks,
    Shoko
    _
  • SueSims
    SueSims
    4 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-06T15:16:12Z  in response to ek1975
    jPDFPrint from Qoppa Software is a 100% Java library and can do this.
    • MpcSmits
      MpcSmits
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-01-19T16:16:03Z  in response to SueSims
      On an iSeries, how can I get jPDFPrint to use a certain printer. We have device descriptions and outqeueus. When I query for printers with PrinterJob().lookupPrintServices, I get an empty array. So how do I specify a printer for jPDFPrint to use ?
      • SueSims
        SueSims
        4 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-03-07T19:44:36Z  in response to MpcSmits
        In response to mpcSmith question:

This link explains how to setup printers in an iSeries system so that Java can see the print services:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/index.jsp?topic=/rzaha/jvprtsrv.htm

and there is a good technical note here as well:

http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/march06/technicalcorner/7239p1.aspx

Once you can see printers in java, you can use jPDFPrint to print to a specific printer by using the print method that takes the printer name as a parameter:
        PDFPrint.print(fileName, "printer name", printSettings, pwdHandler);
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          4447 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-12-11T01:11:29Z  in response to SueSims
          IBM has subscribed to ActiveTree SmartJPrint to silent print PDF located any where in world from browser as well as server. Explore the http://www.activetree.com to know this product at ActiveTree site or search SmartJPrint in IBM website.

High performance and simple to use in few line of code with ability to track the printing as it is printing with a document listener.