SystemAdmin
37422 Posts

Pinned topic Web Application Server won't start

‏2008-08-26T16:36:05Z |
I configured WAS v6.1.0.17 and everything seems to be working fine,
when I am trying to start the server. In the console everything looks OK,
last line indicates:
Server server1 open for e-business...
But in the workbench it is indicated "starting..." as it does not start.
Then I get this pop-up message:

>>Canceling Server Start
>>
>>The server start was interrupted... If the server console reported the
>>"Server <server name> open for e-business" but the server was not
>>detected as started in the workbench, consult the folowing Technote for
>>information on why this may have occurred:
>>
>>http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swq21266028

Which is exactly what is wrong, but I can not open the link provided by that message.

Anybody knows what's going on??

Thanks in advance!
Jernej
Updated on 2012-05-04T19:20:50Z at 2012-05-04T19:20:50Z by SystemAdmin
  • infyniti
    infyniti
    215 Posts

Re: Web Application Server won't start

‏2008-08-26T17:00:42Z  
    > IBMfreaksMeOut wrote:
    > >>http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swq21266028
    Here is the correct url (remove any spaces or %20 for the url)

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21266028

Looks like there is a typo in that url.

Anant
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2008-08-26T23:57:23Z  
    • infyniti
    • ‏2008-08-26T17:00:42Z
    > IBMfreaksMeOut wrote:
    > >>http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swq21266028
    Here is the correct url (remove any spaces or %20 for the url)

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21266028

Looks like there is a typo in that url.

Anant
    > infyniti wrote:
    > > IBMfreaksMeOut wrote:
    > > >>http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swq21266028
    >
    >
    > Here is the correct url (remove any spaces or %20 for the url)
    >
    > http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21266028
    >
    > Looks like there is a typo in that url.
    >
    > Anant

Non of the suggested worked... Maybe some other resolutions, ideas, experiences? Anybody?!

Tnx!
    Jernej
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2008-08-27T02:38:02Z  
    > infyniti wrote:
    > > IBMfreaksMeOut wrote:
    > > >>http://www.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swq21266028
    >
    >
    > Here is the correct url (remove any spaces or %20 for the url)
    >
    > http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21266028
    >
    > Looks like there is a typo in that url.
    >
    > Anant

Non of the suggested worked... Maybe some other resolutions, ideas, experiences? Anybody?!

Tnx!
    Jernej
    Is there a SystemOut.log or startServer.log file for server1 that you can attach or look through for errors? That would be helpful ...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2008-08-27T11:14:22Z  
    Is there a SystemOut.log or startServer.log file for server1 that you can attach or look through for errors? That would be helpful ...
    > JimJLLB wrote:
    > Is there a SystemOut.log or startServer.log file for server1 that you can attach or look through for errors? That > would be helpful ...

Good idea!

I am attaching last sections (last launch of server1) from StartServer.log and SystemOut.log.
    As I went through this two files, everything seems OK, but it still stays "starting" (no final "started") in the workbanch of RAD.

Hope it will give you some ideas...

Thanks!
    Jernej
  • pitku
    pitku
    2 Posts

‏2008-08-28T13:08:16Z  
    > JimJLLB wrote:
    > Is there a SystemOut.log or startServer.log file for server1 that you can attach or look through for errors? That > would be helpful ...

Good idea!

I am attaching last sections (last launch of server1) from StartServer.log and SystemOut.log.
    As I went through this two files, everything seems OK, but it still stays "starting" (no final "started") in the workbanch of RAD.

Thanks!
    Jernej
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg1PK23998
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2008-08-28T14:50:33Z  
    > JimJLLB wrote:

Good idea!

Thanks!
    Jernej
    > IBMfreaksMeOut wrote:
    > > JimJLLB wrote:
    > > Is there a SystemOut.log or startServer.log file for server1 that you can attach or look through for errors? That > would be helpful ...
    >
    > Good idea!
    >
    > I am attaching last sections (last launch of server1) from StartServer.log and SystemOut.log.
    > As I went through this two files, everything seems OK, but it still stays "starting" (no final "started") in the workbanch of RAD.
    >
    > Hope it will give you some ideas...
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Jernej

Miracle! :)

It started working... What I did?! I just deinstalled it and reinstalled and it started like a baby in the middle of the night. :)
    But what I suggest it was wrong... Probably the problem was, because I installed my system from an image, where IBM-WAS was already installed (so it was already "installed" when I was done with the system -windows- installation from image).

that's it...

Enjoy!
    Jernej
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2008-10-29T16:56:14Z  
    In my case, was the unchecked stupid Security checkbox. It has to be checked, with admin/admin user and server starts as it should.

Regards
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2010-03-17T15:44:54Z  
    In my case, was the unchecked stupid Security checkbox. It has to be checked, with admin/admin user and server starts as it should.

Regards
    Hi,
    Old post but I'm having the same problem. Checking the security checkbox didn't help.

Attached the console contents. There is an exception stack trace about logging stuff, but it was working today even with this exception.

Any ideas?
  • Sunit
    Sunit
    201 Posts

‏2010-03-17T18:28:24Z  
    Hi,
    Old post but I'm having the same problem. Checking the security checkbox didn't help.

Attached the console contents. There is an exception stack trace about logging stuff, but it was working today even with this exception.

Any ideas?
    17.03.2010 17:37:40:403 EET 0000000a WrappingFileO E archiveCurrentFile TRAS0016E: An unexpected exception while trying to archive log file D:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\SystemOut.log Exception is java.io.IOException: Unable to rename file D:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\SystemOut.log to D:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\SystemOut_10.03.17_17.37.40.log. Logging continues

Indicates that either the ID that is starting the server does not have right permissions OR

more likely, when you stopped the server last time the java process associated with it did not terminate and is holding locks on some resources.

• Sunit
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2010-03-18T08:01:44Z  
    • Sunit
    • ‏2010-03-17T18:28:24Z
    17.03.2010 17:37:40:403 EET 0000000a WrappingFileO E archiveCurrentFile TRAS0016E: An unexpected exception while trying to archive log file D:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\SystemOut.log Exception is java.io.IOException: Unable to rename file D:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\SystemOut.log to D:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\logs\server1\SystemOut_10.03.17_17.37.40.log. Logging continues

Indicates that either the ID that is starting the server does not have right permissions OR

more likely, when you stopped the server last time the java process associated with it did not terminate and is holding locks on some resources.

• Sunit
    Thanks for your interest :)

I still see the same exception in the console, but now my server instance is indicated as started! What I did was to select SOAP as the server connection type, in server definition in my workspace.

There is no firewall as I'm running WebSphere App server 6.1 at localhost.

So the problem is solved for now, but I don't know the reason..
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2010-03-18T08:04:07Z  
    • Sunit
    • ‏2010-03-17T18:28:24Z

• Sunit
    And for the file lock, I restarted my PC but I still see the same exception in the log. I suppose that any locks would be released after restart.
  • HarryGops
    HarryGops
    1 Post

‏2010-04-11T16:49:06Z  
    And for the file lock, I restarted my PC but I still see the same exception in the log. I suppose that any locks would be released after restart.
    Hey thanks a lot folks, the last option worked for m e, using SOPA port instead of ORB port. But am puzzled as to why is this so.

And I too get the excpetion of not able to rename systemout.log file. but havn't got a soulution though. May be the file has become too big could be the reason. Will keep posted on that.

Thanks once again :-)
    -Harry
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37422 Posts

‏2012-05-04T19:20:50Z  
    • HarryGops
    • ‏2010-04-11T16:49:06Z
    Hey thanks a lot folks, the last option worked for m e, using SOPA port instead of ORB port. But am puzzled as to why is this so.

And I too get the excpetion of not able to rename systemout.log file. but havn't got a soulution though. May be the file has become too big could be the reason. Will keep posted on that.

Thanks once again :-)
    -Harry
    Checked all the above options and did not solve my problem. Restarted my RAD instance and now its working! Got to love RAD...