Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-08-20T22:12:32Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1130 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Condition in sequence diagram

‏2008-08-19T08:26:47Z |
I have an actor which can click on for example save or cancel and I have a class which define my form how should I connect this actor to the class? How should I show that that actor has a choice between clicking on save or cancel button?(events in programming)

Best regards:

Kianoosh Akhavan Karbassi
Updated on 2008-08-20T22:12:32Z at 2008-08-20T22:12:32Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: [uml] Condition in sequence diagram

‏2008-08-19T15:43:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Kianoosh
    UML sequence diagrams offer the concepts of optional and alternative
    sequences. They are each represented by a box around a sequence. Alternative
    is sort of like if...elseif...else logic. Optional logic is sort of like if
    this condition is true then do this stuff with out the else condition.
    Scott Fleming
    On 8/19/08, uml <disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:
    >
    > I have an actor which can click on for example save or cancel and I have a
    > class which define my form how should I connect this actor to the class? How
    > should I show that that actor has a choice between clicking on save or
    > cancel button?(events in programming)
    >
    >
    >
    > Best regards:
    >
    >
    >
    > Kianoosh Akhavan Karbassi
    >
    > _______________________________________________
    > uml mailing list
    > uml@lists.ca.ibm.com
    > Unsubscribe:uml-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com<Unsubscribe%3Auml-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com>
    >
    >
    Kianoosh
    UML  sequence diagrams offer the concepts of optional and alternative sequences. They are each represented by a box around a sequence. Alternative is sort of like if...elseif...else logic. Optional logic is sort of like if this condition is true then do this stuff with out the else condition.
    Scott Fleming

I have an actor which can click on for example save or cancel and I have a class which define my form how should I connect this actor to the class? How should I show that that actor has a choice between clicking on save or cancel button?(events in programming)

Best regards:

• SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1130 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

RE: [uml] Condition in sequence diagram

‏2008-08-19T18:47:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      There are three ideas to consider:

1. Combined Fragments
      This is the optional/alternative box that Scott recommended. They are
      called combined fragments. They look like a set of rectangles joined top to
      bottom, each rectangle representing a different alternative. This URL shows
      you what they look like:
      http://oldresources.visual-paradigm.com/uml_diagrams/sequence_diagram/sequen
      ce_diagram_notation.html?s=interaction+occurrence (scroll down to
      alternative combined fragment)
      http://oldresources.visual-paradigm.com/uml_diagrams/sequence_diagram/using_
      alternative_combined_fragments_in_sequence_diagram.html

2. Interaction Occurrence / Interaction Use
      Now, if the messages in each fragment are a small set with few objects, you
      can include them right in the rectangle. But if there are a lot of messages
      and plenty of objects, many of which are only used inside of the fragment,
      you may want to put them on a separate diagram. To link the new diagram to
      the old, you will use an Interaction Occurrence. The same URL above shows
      you an Interaction Use.

3. Use a note
      If the messages are a single message each, some people just plop a note
      down, anchor it to each message and say Alternate Flows.

Hope this helps!

--ant

_____

From: uml-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com mailto:uml-bounces@lists.ca.ibm.com On
      Behalf Of Scott Fleming
      Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:43 AM
      To: uml@lists.ca.ibm.com
      Subject: Re: uml Condition in sequence diagram
      Kianoosh
      UML sequence diagrams offer the concepts of optional and alternative
      sequences. They are each represented by a box around a sequence. Alternative
      is sort of like if...elseif...else logic. Optional logic is sort of like if
      this condition is true then do this stuff with out the else condition.
      Scott Fleming

I have an actor which can click on for example save or cancel and I have a
      class which define my form how should I connect this actor to the class? How
      should I show that that actor has a choice between clicking on save or
      cancel button?(events in programming)

Best regards:

<mailto:Unsubscribe%3Auml-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com>
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        1130 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RE: [uml] Condition in sequence diagram

‏2008-08-20T03:35:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Dear Scott and ant thank you for your help. I know about alt but the problem is there is no if in my sequence these classes should be connected to the actor directly and I don't have any if in my actor! as I said before these are buttons on my form and the actor can click on any button which have their own functions so when I connect my actor to these classes for example "Main Form" an actor have two choice click on save which has the btnSave_Click() function and Cancel button which has the btnCancel_Click() and notice that and actor is directly connected to the "Main Form" class
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1130 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RE: [uml] Condition in sequence diagram

‏2008-08-20T22:12:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          alt does not require an if. It can be used for a switch-case scenario as
          well. However, this is only part of the problem. It sounds like you need to
          show that you could click on any of the following buttons. Then, as a
          separate issue, what happens if you click on a particular button.

I would diagram at a high level, which button clicks are available using a
          communication diagram. I would not go into detail on that diagram.
          I would then diagram separately, the sequence for each particular button
          click using either a sequence diagram or a communication diagram depending
          on which ever makes more sense to me under the current situation.
          Scott Fleming
          On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM, uml <disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Dear Scott and ant thank you for your help. I know about alt but the
          > problem is there is no if in my sequence these classes should be connected
          > to the actor directly and I don't have any if in my actor! as I said before
          > these are buttons on my form and the actor can click on any button which
          > have their own functions so when I connect my actor to these classes for
          > example "Main Form" an actor have two choice click on save which has the
          > btnSave_Click() function and Cancel button which has the btnCancel_Click()
          > and notice that and actor is directly connected to the "Main Form" class
          >
          > _______________________________________________
          > uml mailing list
          > uml@lists.ca.ibm.com
          > Unsubscribe:uml-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com<Unsubscribe%3Auml-leave@lists.ca.ibm.com>
          >
          >
          alt does not require an if. It can be used for a switch-case scenario as well. However, this is only part of the problem. It sounds like you need to show that you could click on any of the following buttons. Then, as a separate issue, what happens if you click on a particular button.

I would diagram at a high level, which button clicks are available using a communication diagram. I would not go into detail on that diagram.
          I would then diagram separately, the sequence for each particular button click using either a sequence diagram or a communication diagram depending on which ever makes more sense to me under the current situation.

Scott Fleming

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM, uml <disadmin@us.ibm.com> wrote:
          Dear Scott and ant thank you for your help. I know about alt but the problem is there is no if in my sequence these classes should be connected to the actor directly and I don't have any if in my actor! as I said before these are buttons on my form and the actor can click on any button which have their own functions so when I connect my actor to these classes for example "Main Form" an actor have two choice click on save which has the btnSave_Click() function and Cancel button which has the btnCancel_Click() and notice that and actor is directly connected to the "Main Form" class