Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-03-15T14:52:38Z by dpdeveloper
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
6772 Posts

Pinned topic HTTP Proxy Server setup

‏2008-07-31T20:21:38Z |
I can access the internal host names from the device. I'm not able to ping the external host names that are outside the external firewall. Do we need to HTTP Proxy Server setup?
Updated on 2013-03-15T14:52:38Z at 2013-03-15T14:52:38Z by dpdeveloper
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

Re: HTTP Proxy Server setup

‏2008-08-01T18:58:36Z  
    Maybe?? Maybe your routing setup does not allow resolution of external addresses. Maybe your DNS server is local domain only. There are a thousand reasons (with this level of information) as to why you can't resolve extranet hosts. I recommend that you dig into this with your local network team - I am sure they will be able to pinpoint the issue very quickly.

Corey
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2008-08-01T19:05:00Z  
    Maybe?? Maybe your routing setup does not allow resolution of external addresses. Maybe your DNS server is local domain only. There are a thousand reasons (with this level of information) as to why you can't resolve extranet hosts. I recommend that you dig into this with your local network team - I am sure they will be able to pinpoint the issue very quickly.

Corey
    The Datapower device is inside the company firewall. The pinging host will not happen unless the proxy server setup.
    I can access to the external URL from the browser with proxy server setup. Is there anything in the DataPower HTTP proxy config?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2008-08-01T19:19:03Z  
    The Datapower device is inside the company firewall. The pinging host will not happen unless the proxy server setup.
    I can access to the external URL from the browser with proxy server setup. Is there anything in the DataPower HTTP proxy config?
    Please check page 731 in the XI-3.6.1-WebGUIGuide.pdf product manual for more information on configuring an external HTTP proxy via the Default (or other) User Agent settings.

You can find the corresponding screens in the WebGUI at Network > User Agent.

Corey
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2008-08-01T22:19:04Z  
    Please check page 731 in the XI-3.6.1-WebGUIGuide.pdf product manual for more information on configuring an external HTTP proxy via the Default (or other) User Agent settings.

You can find the corresponding screens in the WebGUI at Network > User Agent.

Corey
    I have followed the webgui doc with both new user agent and default one. I can not ping external hostname.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    6772 Posts

‏2008-08-01T22:46:01Z  
    I have followed the webgui doc with both new user agent and default one. I can not ping external hostname.
    HTTP proxies have no effect on Ping. Ping uses ICMP which is a completely different protocol altogether. If this is your network configuration you will likely never be able to Ping external hosts - but with an HTTP proxy properly configured in the user agent you can probably connect to the desired external hosts via HTTP.

Corey
  • jw@dw
    jw@dw
    48 Posts

‏2013-03-14T21:02:39Z  
    HTTP proxies have no effect on Ping. Ping uses ICMP which is a completely different protocol altogether. If this is your network configuration you will likely never be able to Ping external hosts - but with an HTTP proxy properly configured in the user agent you can probably connect to the desired external hosts via HTTP.

Corey
    Corey, is there a way to forward the traffic through using url-open without setting up the user agent? I am having a use case where a single service is proxies while rest are not. I would like to make the proxy explicit. Thanks!

JW
  • dpdeveloper
    dpdeveloper
    111 Posts

‏2013-03-15T14:52:38Z  
    • jw@dw
    • ‏2013-03-14T21:02:39Z
    Corey, is there a way to forward the traffic through using url-open without setting up the user agent? I am having a use case where a single service is proxies while rest are not. I would like to make the proxy explicit. Thanks!

JW
    If you look at the Useragent--> Proxy Policy, you can define url matching expression.

so add two rules in proxy policy

1. url matching expression= service url which needs proxy, skip=off, remote host= proxy ip and port
    2. url matching expression = *, skip = on, which makes all other connection not use the proxy.