Topic
  • 12 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-08-07T13:56:31Z by Guillermo
Guillermo
Guillermo
13 Posts

Pinned topic WASCE 2.1 Eclipse Plugin (probably) not working as supposed

‏2008-07-31T17:09:42Z |
Hello. I've upgraded to WASCE 2.1, Eclipse plugin for WASCE 2.1. My Eclipse level is 3.3.2. However, when creating a Dynamic Web Project and specifying WASCE Deployment project facet, the created project does not include the geronimo-web.xml file under /WEB-INF/ directory. Is this a bug? If not, what do I have to specify in order to get Eclipse to create this file? I'm attaching an exported Eclipse project file, for if you would like to test it.
Updated on 2008-08-07T13:56:31Z at 2008-08-07T13:56:31Z by Guillermo
  • Ashish_Jain
    Ashish_Jain
    274 Posts

Re: WASCE 2.1 Eclipse Plugin (probably) not working as supposed

‏2008-08-01T07:35:52Z  
    Hi Guillermo,
    It just worked fine for me. Can you check if we both have the same environment setup? I am using Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers (126 MB) from the following link http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/europa/winter. As the eclipse update site for 2.1 suggests The Eclipse platform is required: specifically the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, the Europa Winter version, 3.3.2.

Thanks
    Ashish
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-01T21:25:12Z  
    Hi Guillermo,
    It just worked fine for me. Can you check if we both have the same environment setup? I am using Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers (126 MB) from the following link http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/europa/winter. As the eclipse update site for 2.1 suggests The Eclipse platform is required: specifically the Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers, the Europa Winter version, 3.3.2.

Thanks
    Ashish
    Hello Ashish. Unfortunately, even though I followed your instructions by heart, downloading Eclipse 3.3.2 winter version from the link you pointed, installing WASCE 2.1 plugin using the WASCE Update Manager and not applying any fix from Eclipse, the result was the same. When defining a Dynamic Web Project using WASCE as the runtime, it won't generate geronimo-web.xml file under /WEB/INF/ directory.

What I didn't tell you is my OS environment is Windows XP. perhaps you're under Linux and there it works. If this is the case, please give it a try under Windows.

Have my best regards, Guillermo
  • Ashish_Jain
    Ashish_Jain
    274 Posts

‏2008-08-04T18:05:59Z  
    • Guillermo
    • ‏2008-08-01T21:25:12Z
    Hello Ashish. Unfortunately, even though I followed your instructions by heart, downloading Eclipse 3.3.2 winter version from the link you pointed, installing WASCE 2.1 plugin using the WASCE Update Manager and not applying any fix from Eclipse, the result was the same. When defining a Dynamic Web Project using WASCE as the runtime, it won't generate geronimo-web.xml file under /WEB/INF/ directory.

What I didn't tell you is my OS environment is Windows XP. perhaps you're under Linux and there it works. If this is the case, please give it a try under Windows.

Have my best regards, Guillermo
    Hi Guillermo,
    It works fine for me on windows too. What is the plugin you have selected while installing the Adapter? Is it
    *WAS CE V2.1 Server Adapter 2.1.1*?

Thanks
    Ashish
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-04T18:41:01Z  
    Hi Guillermo,
    It works fine for me on windows too. What is the plugin you have selected while installing the Adapter? Is it
    *WAS CE V2.1 Server Adapter 2.1.1*?

Thanks
    Ashish
    Hello Ashish. Unfortunately I have no other choice than not agreeing with you. Yes, I installed the WASCE 2.1.1 server adapter. I tried installing it in my current Eclipse platform (3.2.2). Then, I downloaded the Eclipse winter maintenance version, installed ONLY the WASCE plugin. I did this in two different computers, both with Windows XP service pack 2. None of the installations showed geronimo-web.xml under the /WEB-INF/ directory when creating a Dynamic Web Project in Eclipse.

Is there something I've been missing or else has changed in the way of defining projects? Maybe the XML Schemas for WASCE? Because I have had the plugin installed since WASCE 1.0 and it always has worked, so I don't believe I'm doing something wrong when installing it...I even discarded the XML Schemas for Geronimo in the XML Catalog option under Preferences (Window -> Preferences -> XML and Web -> XML Catalog), just in case they were outdated, but the result was the same.

What's next to check?
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-05T21:52:42Z  
    • Guillermo
    • ‏2008-08-04T18:41:01Z
    Hello Ashish. Unfortunately I have no other choice than not agreeing with you. Yes, I installed the WASCE 2.1.1 server adapter. I tried installing it in my current Eclipse platform (3.2.2). Then, I downloaded the Eclipse winter maintenance version, installed ONLY the WASCE plugin. I did this in two different computers, both with Windows XP service pack 2. None of the installations showed geronimo-web.xml under the /WEB-INF/ directory when creating a Dynamic Web Project in Eclipse.

Is there something I've been missing or else has changed in the way of defining projects? Maybe the XML Schemas for WASCE? Because I have had the plugin installed since WASCE 1.0 and it always has worked, so I don't believe I'm doing something wrong when installing it...I even discarded the XML Schemas for Geronimo in the XML Catalog option under Preferences (Window -> Preferences -> XML and Web -> XML Catalog), just in case they were outdated, but the result was the same.

What's next to check?
    Hello Ashish. More evidence follows. I've reinstalled Eclipse 3.3.2-winter four times. To try a different scenario, I downloaded the WASCE plugin as a zipped file, to be applied through Eclipse Update as an archived site. All went the same: the installed plugin didn´t generate the geronimo-web.xml file when defining a Dynamic Web Project with WASCE as its runtime. No further debugging done, since all looks like a BIG BUG.

No one else has had this problem?
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-05T21:57:05Z  
    P.S. I forgot to tell you that installing Geronimo 2.1.1 plugin (through the Geronimo website) in a fresh Eclipse (winter, spring, summer or fall edition) gives EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS, say, it won't generate the geronimo-web.xml file under /WEB-INF/ directory. So, it looks as if Geronimo plugin is who has the problem (and, of course, this spreads to WASCE).
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2233 Posts

‏2008-08-06T12:15:03Z  
    • Guillermo
    • ‏2008-08-05T21:57:05Z
    P.S. I forgot to tell you that installing Geronimo 2.1.1 plugin (through the Geronimo website) in a fresh Eclipse (winter, spring, summer or fall edition) gives EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS, say, it won't generate the geronimo-web.xml file under /WEB-INF/ directory. So, it looks as if Geronimo plugin is who has the problem (and, of course, this spreads to WASCE).
    Can you look for errors in your eclipse workspace log, in the .metadata/.log file from your eclipse workspace? Please attach or post entries from that log covering the time of the test of creating the dynamic web project.
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-06T13:48:55Z  
    Can you look for errors in your eclipse workspace log, in the .metadata/.log file from your eclipse workspace? Please attach or post entries from that log covering the time of the test of creating the dynamic web project.
    Hello Ashish. Thanks for your patience. What I am attaching is the logfile you requested, but only logging the creation of a dynamic web project involving WASCE project facet (this means, renaming the old logfile and letting Eclipse create a new one containing only this operation). I hope this works. This has been done using my old Eclipse version, but the same happens when installing Eclipse 3.3 winter edition (perhaps the log for this one may say a different thing, but the result is the same).
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-06T14:27:01Z  
    • Guillermo
    • ‏2008-08-06T13:48:55Z
    Hello Ashish. Thanks for your patience. What I am attaching is the logfile you requested, but only logging the creation of a dynamic web project involving WASCE project facet (this means, renaming the old logfile and letting Eclipse create a new one containing only this operation). I hope this works. This has been done using my old Eclipse version, but the same happens when installing Eclipse 3.3 winter edition (perhaps the log for this one may say a different thing, but the result is the same).
    Hello Ashish. I finally found what's going on (for your records). What happened was that I had Eclipse configured to use Java 1.6.0_07 JVM and under this configuration it won't generate geronimo-web.xml. I switched to Java 1.5.0_15 JVM and now Eclipse is generating the file.

Just for information, I started Eclipse through the command: D:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\jre\bin\javaw.exe", given that I have configured my JAVA_HOME variable to point to Java 1.6 and under this configuration it works erroneously.

A minor bug is that the icon displayed is that of Geronimo instead of WASCE's for the file in the /WEB-INF/ directory.

However, I suggest you to review this problem, because we are all shifting to Java 1.6 and if it doesn't work, we will have to stick to outdated versions.

Thanks for your help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2233 Posts

‏2008-08-07T09:28:55Z  
    • Guillermo
    • ‏2008-08-06T14:27:01Z
    Hello Ashish. I finally found what's going on (for your records). What happened was that I had Eclipse configured to use Java 1.6.0_07 JVM and under this configuration it won't generate geronimo-web.xml. I switched to Java 1.5.0_15 JVM and now Eclipse is generating the file.

Just for information, I started Eclipse through the command: D:\eclipse\eclipse.exe -vm "C:\Archivos de programa\Java\jdk1.5.0_15\jre\bin\javaw.exe", given that I have configured my JAVA_HOME variable to point to Java 1.6 and under this configuration it works erroneously.

A minor bug is that the icon displayed is that of Geronimo instead of WASCE's for the file in the /WEB-INF/ directory.

However, I suggest you to review this problem, because we are all shifting to Java 1.6 and if it doesn't work, we will have to stick to outdated versions.

Thanks for your help.
    I was fighting the same problem, thanks for your solution.

Everything installed fine, but when you try to run an application, you will get the following error in Eclipse:

Could not publish to the server.
    java.lang.NullPointerException

Took a while for me to find out that the geronimo-web.xml was missing.
    I tried a dozen different manually created geronimo-web.xml files, but with no avail.
    Also the plan editor does not work with Java 1.6, looks like there is something really screwed up inside the plugin.
    Tried both, WASCE 2.1 plugin and the Geronimo plugin.

Switched to Java 1.5, and everything works perfect now.
  • Ashish_Jain
    Ashish_Jain
    274 Posts

‏2008-08-07T09:52:03Z  

Everything installed fine, but when you try to run an application, you will get the following error in Eclipse:

I tried a dozen different manually created geronimo-web.xml files, but with no avail.
    Also the plan editor does not work with Java 1.6, looks like there is something really screwed up inside the plugin.

Thanks Guillermo for posting the solution to this problem. Java 1.6 support will be included in the upcoming release of WAS CE server adapter. Some more info on the version 2.1 of server adapter.
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2359&context=SS6JMN&dc=D600&uid=swg21314752&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

Thanks
    Ashish
  • Guillermo
    Guillermo
    13 Posts

‏2008-08-07T13:56:31Z  

Hello UdoK. This happens because geronimo-web.xml is not found. Right click over the server definition under "Servers" and select the "Clean" option, so you may eliminate the wrong definitions. I'm closing this question now since there's no more to add. Regards, Guillermo