Topic
IC4NOTICE: developerWorks Community will be offline May 29-30, 2015 while we upgrade to the latest version of IBM Connections. For more information, read our upgrade FAQ.
10 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-12-08T20:00:05Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1382 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic OEM Tivoli CDP won't start

‏2008-06-18T11:42:12Z |
I am trying to get an OEM version of Tivoli CDP (3.1.1.10) to work on a Windows XP Pro machine.

It all seems to install fine although the settings wizard doesn't appear.

I get the CDP icon in the system tray but as soon as I roll the mouse across it it disappears.

If I try and use CDPforFilesSvc in the startup folder nothing happens and I don't have FilepathSrv.exe running in Task Manager.

If I try accessing CDP via "Start/All Programs/Tivoli/CDP for Files/IBM Tivoli Contiuous Data Protection for Files" my browser starts but I get a Page Load Error with "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9003."

I've also seen that there is an update to version 3.1.3.0 but when I download it it will not install as it detects that I have an OEM version, is there a similar update for the OEM version?
Updated on 2011-12-08T20:00:05Z at 2011-12-08T20:00:05Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1382 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: OEM Tivoli CDP won't start

‏2008-06-18T11:47:03Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Where did you download/get the OEM version?

Did you have another version of CDP installed previously?

Thanks,
    Erik
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1382 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-06-18T12:23:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Purchased via Digital River - download email as below.

<hr />
    Original Message<hr />
    To: Alan Parry <alan.w.parry@btinternet.com>
    Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 2:20 PM
    Subject: Your Order for IBM Tivoli Continuous Data Protection for Files

IBM Tivoli Continuous Data Protection for Files (14237-1) Support E-Mail: kschmotz@us.ibm.com

The product may be downloaded from:
    Click here <http://wgt.digitalriver.com/wgt/9ae15daa864bfb4c/3679f8e8ed9c91134d79444590
    655f392fba3b8a03a5e5dd819146e24ad9d2c0b01f45748d095153/rn_v14237/TivoliCDP_C
    DPForFiles_OEM_3.1.1.10_windows.exe>

I have not had any version of CDP installed previously.

Many Thanks
    Bob Jeffries
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1382 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-07-07T18:45:54Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I had this problem but i was working on a windows server 2003. The problem could be that the port number that tivoli is supposed to use is being used by another program. Try this:

Cause
      Default port 9003 that CDP listens on is already in use.
      Answer
      If the Tivoli CDP for Files service does not start with the following error, or similar errors, in the event viewer:
      EVENT ID: 6008 During socket bind operation, failed; Reason: There are no more files.
      This maybe caused by the default port 9003 in use by another application. To display all the current connections and listening ports:
      Click Start->Run, type cmd and click OK
      Enter the netstat -a -b > out.txt
      When the command finishes look through the out.txt file to determine if 9003 is in use.

To change the port that the CDP daemon uses, the Windows registry will need to be modified:
      To start the Registry Editor, select Start->Run, type regedit, and click OK
      On the left hand side locate:
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\FilePathsrv\

Right-click on FpPort, a DWORD value, and select Modify.
      Select Decimal and enter an unused port number( for example 9005) which can easily be verified in the out.txt from the netstat command above.

After making the change , open the Task Manager and kill the filepathsrv.exe process if it is running then
      go to Start->All Programs->Statup->CDPForFilesSrv to start the daemon again.

Thanks
      Shawn
  • vranoch
    vranoch
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-29T15:20:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello, I have a similar problem. I have an OEM version 3.1.7.7 (got it via Digital River, since I was not able to get it directly from IBM) and:

1) upon restart FilePathSrv starts normally and looks working
    2) after terminating the task and restarting, it does not start again (run normally and as admin - no difference), there is no FilePathSrv.exe process in the TaskManager (even displaying all tasks), nor the web page works
    3) tried to turn trace on - only for mask=ALL device=FILE it produces cca 50000 messages to System Event Log, other opions looks to do nothing (incl. device=FILELOG)

Q1: What can be wrong? How to correct it or at least how to get any reasonable log?

Q2: How to get an update (3.1.9) - normal update complains, that it cannot patch OEM version.

Thanks Vranoch
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1382 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-30T02:22:46Z  in response to vranoch
      Hi,

Are you trying to install the OEM version on your Win7 64bit machine from the other post? Was this a clean 64 install or an overinstall?

Why did you have to terminate the task and restart?

You can install dbgview from sysinternal http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896647
      Extract dbgview.exe from the zip and start that up. Then do fpa trace mask=fpa,replt,html device=screen
      See if that gives you more info to go on.

You need the 3.1.9 OEM patch now that you installed and OEM version.

Thanks,
      Erik
  • vranoch
    vranoch
    20 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-11-30T12:23:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

Yes, it is that new x64 Win7 machine. It should be a clean install (I uninstalled previous version and installed, reboot and installed the new one). The install process performed without any errors and warnings.

I did:
    1) run dbgview, checked Kernel (i wonder whether it can catch x64 events since it has only Capture Win32 option)
    2) entered fpa trace mask=fpa,replt,html device=screen
    3) entered FilePathSrv.exe
    4) only one line appeared in DbgView: 6440 ForFileServer 0
    5) after some time entered fpa trace mask=""

Where can I obtain 3.1.9 OEM update?

thanks Vranoch
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      1382 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-01T02:11:48Z  in response to vranoch
      Hi,

When you say you entered Filepathsrv.exe what do you mean?

If you are starting it from the cmd window change directory to the install directory and then enter: Filepathsrv.exe -d

Can you email me your fpa.txt file, fpinstall.log, System Event log and Application log. Here is my email: wilkinse@us.ibm.com

Thanks,
      Erik
      • vranoch
        vranoch
        20 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-01T21:18:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hello Erik,

the problem is solved - it was caused by not calling the FilePathSrv.exe with the "-d" option. Sorry for that :-(. Now it looks working - currently the initial backup is running. Thanks for the hint.

A question still remains where to get the OEM update - I had no idea that any "nonstandard" version is offered.

Thanks Vranoch
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          1382 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-01T22:12:08Z  in response to vranoch
          Hi,

Great. I am checking on if I can post a PTF for you or not.

Will let you know.

Thanks,
          Erik
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            1382 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-12-08T20:00:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hi,

Email me directly at: wilkinse@us.ibm.com

Thanks,