Topic
3 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-11-03T14:23:41Z by Bill_Dennis
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
101 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IEC614I when trying to rename

‏2008-06-04T15:30:36Z |
I ran into a problem when trying to apply service to a Z/OS image. I had a D37 in SMP/E on ISF.SISFLOAD . I copied and
enlarged the dataset but when I tried to rename I got the IEC614I 'data set in use' message. Is there a trick to
renaming, deleting etc of system datasets that are not part of the current running image but have the same name ?
This would appear to be a common type of issue but I haven't encountered it before .

Talbert Malone
Z/OS Systems Support
University of Arkansas
Updated on 2008-11-03T14:23:41Z at 2008-11-03T14:23:41Z by Bill_Dennis
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IEC614I when trying to rename

‏2008-06-24T17:02:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    One thing you might try doing is to logoff and then try again. If still a problem please provide the complete message text as the various codes included with it would help.
  • PedroV
    PedroV
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-07-01T23:40:46Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Datasets are serialized by name only: not by volid. Actually, the enq is on major_name=SYSDSN and minor_name=actual.dataset.name . So if some users are using a particular dataset, another user cannot delete it. You have to get people /jobs to stop using it.

I think most people use copies of their SMPE datasets in production, instead of the actual SMPE target datasets.

1. make copies of the SMPE target datasets
    2. change logon process to use the new datasets
    3. make everyone logoff/logon. Restart started tasks. Etc.
    4. fix your SMPE problems. There might be SMPE tricks to do, but I do not know SMPE well.
    • Bill_Dennis
      Bill_Dennis
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-11-03T14:23:41Z  in response to PedroV
      There is also a RACF profile that allows you to rename datasets that appear to be active. This is handy when the copy exists on a different volume. The ISPF error message detects this profile and allows you to confirm the rename.