Topic
  • 42 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-04-27T13:41:47Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
10114 Posts

Pinned topic How to install simulator.sdk on ubuntu?

‏2008-06-01T17:43:39Z |
I am using ubuntu simply because it supoorts my hardware unlike other linux distributions.
But i am unable to find a debian package for CellSDK & simulator.
I have wasted a lot of time trying to convert rpm files to deb but failed all the time.
Now i am using VM player & its really annoying to keep switching.

Can anyone provide a definitive solution?
If possible convert rpm files to debian & provide a download link.

Thank you
Updated on 2009-04-27T13:41:47Z at 2009-04-27T13:41:47Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

Re: How to install simulator.sdk on ubuntu?

‏2008-06-01T22:54:49Z  
    i dont know if you used a web site in order to install the sdk on ubuntu or what, but i used:

http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/ibm-cell-sdksdk-for-multicore-acceleration-on-debianubuntu-howto/

and it worked pretty well. I had some problems, but nothing that wasn't easily fixable once I figured out what was missing. You could try to follow the directions provided there and if you get any problems just post them here.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-06-02T18:13:16Z  
    i dont know if you used a web site in order to install the sdk on ubuntu or what, but i used:

http://mikearthur.co.uk/2007/12/ibm-cell-sdksdk-for-multicore-acceleration-on-debianubuntu-howto/

and it worked pretty well. I had some problems, but nothing that wasn't easily fixable once I figured out what was missing. You could try to follow the directions provided there and if you get any problems just post them here.
    OK
    I did apt-get spu-gcc spu-gdb ... cell-programming primer.

But that doesn't install the simulator.
    The thing is i tried to convert the rpms to deb packages earlier but got some incomprehensible errors.
    Now what else do i need to do.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-06-03T02:54:55Z  
    OK
    I did apt-get spu-gcc spu-gdb ... cell-programming primer.

But that doesn't install the simulator.
    The thing is i tried to convert the rpms to deb packages earlier but got some incomprehensible errors.
    Now what else do i need to do.
    well, i've never seen anywhere the .deb packages for the sdk listed, so i don't know if thats really an option, though you can certainly try looking for them. The best way might be just to try fixing the errors you received while trying to convert. Can you post them? and even if I don't know the answers someone else might or might be able to point you in the right direction
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-06-04T06:54:02Z  
    well, i've never seen anywhere the .deb packages for the sdk listed, so i don't know if thats really an option, though you can certainly try looking for them. The best way might be just to try fixing the errors you received while trying to convert. Can you post them? and even if I don't know the answers someone else might or might be able to point you in the right direction
    Here's exactly what i have done.
    I extracted CellSDK3.0 image to a folder & created rpmtodeb.sh in that folder with the following contents.

for i in rpms/*.rpm; do alien --scripts $i; done

Now when i run this shell script i get lots of warnings, but ultimately in the cell folder i get many deb packages(not all were converted).

when i do dpkg -i *.deb i get some errors which i copied to a text file & have attached along with this post.

Now what should i do next?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-06-04T16:05:08Z  
    OK if the previous post seems too cryptic then here's some more info:

I end up getting folders by the names ibm, ibmcmp, cell in the /opt folder.

This is what happens on the terminal:

$ cd /opt/ibm/systemsim-cell/run/cell/linux/
    $ ./../run_gui
    [: 31: ==: unexpected operator
    /opt/ibm/systemsim-cell/bin/systemsim-cell: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any quick solutions?
  • mkistler
    mkistler
    551 Posts

‏2008-06-04T19:49:31Z  
    OK if the previous post seems too cryptic then here's some more info:

I end up getting folders by the names ibm, ibmcmp, cell in the /opt folder.

This is what happens on the terminal:

$ cd /opt/ibm/systemsim-cell/run/cell/linux/
    $ ./../run_gui
    [: 31: ==: unexpected operator
    /opt/ibm/systemsim-cell/bin/systemsim-cell: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Any quick solutions?
    You need to install Tcl 8.4 & Tk 8.4.

Mike Kistler
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-06-05T05:14:30Z  
    • mkistler
    • ‏2008-06-04T19:49:31Z
    You need to install Tcl 8.4 & Tk 8.4.

Mike Kistler
    tcl8.4 & tk8.4 were already installed. i used auto-remove & then reinstalled the two packages.

Still getting the same error.

How do i ensure that cell-sdk & simulator are correctly installed. As it is the size of the folders is less than that in Fedora 7.
    Could i just copy & paste the missing subfolders from Fedora. Would that complete the sdk.
    This is the run_gui script. Does it need any modification for ubuntu.

#!/bin/sh

1. This script can be called from anywhere, provided the user has
    2. systemsim in their PATH. If they do not, it should still run
    3. the old way, but only from a subdirectory under 'run'.

TRYPATH=$(/usr/bin/which systemsim 2>/dev/null)
    if ; then
    TRYPATH=$(dirname $TRYPATH)/..
    fi

SYSTEMSIM_TOP=
    for TRYTOP in ../../.. $TRYPATH;
    do
    TRYTOP=$(cd $TRYTOP; pwd)
    if -x $TRYTOP/bin/systemsim ; then
    SYSTEMSIM_TOP=$TRYTOP
    break
    fi
    done

if ; then
    export SYSTEMSIM_TOP
    if ; then
    shift
    MACHOPT=-cellsecure
    else
    MACHOPT=-cell
    fi
    exec $SYSTEMSIM_TOP/bin/systemsim $MACHOPT $* -g
    fi
    Message was edited by: iamrohitbanga

Updated on 2008-06-05T05:14:30Z at 2008-06-05T05:14:30Z by SystemAdmin
  • mkistler
    mkistler
    551 Posts

‏2008-06-05T11:35:48Z  
    tcl8.4 & tk8.4 were already installed. i used auto-remove & then reinstalled the two packages.

How do i ensure that cell-sdk & simulator are correctly installed. As it is the size of the folders is less than that in Fedora 7.
    Could i just copy & paste the missing subfolders from Fedora. Would that complete the sdk.

#!/bin/sh

if ; then
    fi

SYSTEMSIM_TOP=
    do
    SYSTEMSIM_TOP=$TRYTOP
    break
    fi
    done

if ; then
    export SYSTEMSIM_TOP
    if ; then
    shift
    MACHOPT=-cellsecure
    else
    MACHOPT=-cell
    fi
    fi

In my experience, the message

error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

means that the loader could not find libtcl8.4.so when it is trying to load the shared libraries needed by the simulator executable. Is the directory containing libtcl8.4.so in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Mike Kistler
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-09-14T04:09:47Z  
    • mkistler
    • ‏2008-06-05T11:35:48Z
    In my experience, the message

error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

means that the loader could not find libtcl8.4.so when it is trying to load the shared libraries needed by the simulator executable. Is the directory containing libtcl8.4.so in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?

Mike Kistler
    I get the same error as mentioned by iamrohitbanga. I installed systemsim-cell 3.0 from its .rpm package using Alien, on Ubuntu 8.04; when I tried ../run_gui from systemsim-cell/run/cell/linux in the Terminal, I got the "/opt/ibm/systemsim-cell/bin/systemsim-cell: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" error, as mentioned earlier. I was able to locate the libtcl8.4.so file in my /usr/lib directory. Any solution? tcl8.4 and tk8.4 are installed already.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-10-23T08:35:49Z  
    I get the same error as mentioned by iamrohitbanga. I installed systemsim-cell 3.0 from its .rpm package using Alien, on Ubuntu 8.04; when I tried ../run_gui from systemsim-cell/run/cell/linux in the Terminal, I got the "/opt/ibm/systemsim-cell/bin/systemsim-cell: error while loading shared libraries: libtcl8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" error, as mentioned earlier. I was able to locate the libtcl8.4.so file in my /usr/lib directory. Any solution? tcl8.4 and tk8.4 are installed already.
    I also had serious troubles converting the rpms to deb packages on Hardy, it seems to be a problem with alien/dpkg. Finaly i installed Gutsy and the very same script worked out well. Then i was able to install the simulator deb packages on Hardy and it works fine.

Now the simulatro works, but using spu-gcc failes with the following Message:

/opt/cell/toolchain/bin/spu-gcc -W -Wall -Winline -Wno-main -I. -I /opt/cell/sysroot/usr/spu/include -I /opt/cell/sysroot/opt/cell/sdk/usr/spu/include -O3 -c wavelet_spu.c
    /tmp/ccxZAQnm.s: Assembler messages:
    /tmp/ccxZAQnm.s:7: Error: alignment not a power of 2
    /tmp/ccxZAQnm.s:11: Error: no such instruction: `hbrr .L8,printf'
    /tmp/ccxZAQnm.s:12: Error: no such instruction: `stqd $80,-16($sp)'
    /tmp/ccxZAQnm.s:13: Error: no such instruction: `il $80,0'

The same program/makefile workes fine on my Fedora 7 System with Simulator

Thx
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-11-23T13:32:13Z  
    I also had serious troubles converting the rpms to deb packages on Hardy, it seems to be a problem with alien/dpkg. Finaly i installed Gutsy and the very same script worked out well. Then i was able to install the simulator deb packages on Hardy and it works fine.

/opt/cell/toolchain/bin/spu-gcc -W -Wall -Winline -Wno-main -I. -I /opt/cell/sysroot/usr/spu/include -I /opt/cell/sysroot/opt/cell/sdk/usr/spu/include -O3 -c wavelet_spu.c

Thx
    I also managed to get the simulator running on ubuntu (8.10), but ran into the same problem with spu-gcc. Has anyone found a solution?

Best regards,
    M.K
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-11-23T14:32:38Z  

#!/bin/sh

if ; then
    fi

SYSTEMSIM_TOP=
    do
    SYSTEMSIM_TOP=$TRYTOP
    break
    fi
    done

if ; then
    export SYSTEMSIM_TOP
    if ; then
    shift
    MACHOPT=-cellsecure
    else
    MACHOPT=-cell
    fi
    fi

I had to do:

'apt-get -f install'

and then

'apt-get install tcl8.4-dev tk8.4-dev'

to make the simulator work with tcl/tk 8.4.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
    M.K
  • Diko
    Diko
    18 Posts

‏2008-11-23T22:37:16Z  
    Hello everyone,
    i will try to explain in short how to install SDK 3.1 & simulator on Ubuntu (8.10, x86).

1a. Download the sdk from https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/. You will need the cell-install-3.1.0-0.0.noarch.rpm package and CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso. You can download CellSDK-Extras-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso too, but not needed.

1b. Download simulator from http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/cellsystemsim. You will need systemsim-cell-3.1-8.f9.i386.rpm package.

1c. Download open source packages from http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=577. You will need GNU toolchain (x86-cross-compiler version for ppu and spu), libSPE2 (libspe2-cross-devel-2.2.80-132.noarch.rpm) and simulator sysroot image (sysroot_image-3.1-1.noarch.rpm).

2a. Install alien with:
    sudo apt-get install alien

2b. Mount CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso, for example:
    mkdir tmp
    sudo mount -o loop CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso tmp

2c. Convert .rpm packages to .deb packages. You do this with:
    sudo alien <rpm file>
    Convert all rpm packages in x86 directory from CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso.
    Convert the simulator package with --scripts option:
    sudo alien --scripts systemsim-cell-3.1-8.f9.i386.rpm

2d. Install all converted .deb packages with:
    sudo dpkg -i <deb file>

3. Run
    sudo /opt/cell/cellsdk_sync_simulator

4. (Optional) If you want to run a local simulator environment in Eclipse and use the ALF templates, install the dummy packages (attached to this post) i created. You will need rpm for this, should be installed with alien.
    Initialise the rpm database:
    sudo rpm --initdb
    Install dummy packages:
    sudo rpm -i <rpm dummy package>

I hope i dont forgot anything.

Attachments

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-11-24T10:46:10Z  

Thx
    I now managed to get spu-gcc working on ubuntu (got rid of the "no such instruction"-error). First I uninstalled spu-gcc, spu-g++, ppu-gcc and ppu-g++ with the package manager (synaptic). Then I downloaded

http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/ppu-gcc-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm
    http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/spu-gcc-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm
    http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/ppu-gcc-c++-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm
    http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/spu-gcc-c++-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm

And as root:
    %> for i in *.rpm; do alien --scripts $i; done
    %> dpkg -i *.deb

Now it works like a charm.

Best regards,
    M.K
  • Diko
    Diko
    18 Posts

‏2008-11-24T23:20:37Z  
    I now managed to get spu-gcc working on ubuntu (got rid of the "no such instruction"-error). First I uninstalled spu-gcc, spu-g++, ppu-gcc and ppu-g++ with the package manager (synaptic). Then I downloaded

http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/ppu-gcc-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm
    http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/spu-gcc-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm
    http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/ppu-gcc-c++-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm
    http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/spu-gcc-c++-4.1.1-166.i686.rpm

And as root:
    %> dpkg -i *.deb

Best regards,
    M.K
    Yes, i noticed it too. Ubuntu has it's own packages for gnu toolchain and it tries to update them if you install your own packages. You need to lock your versions in Synaptics to avoid the update.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-12-01T05:24:36Z  
    • Diko
    • ‏2008-11-23T22:37:16Z
    Hello everyone,
    i will try to explain in short how to install SDK 3.1 & simulator on Ubuntu (8.10, x86).

1a. Download the sdk from https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/. You will need the cell-install-3.1.0-0.0.noarch.rpm package and CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso. You can download CellSDK-Extras-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso too, but not needed.

1b. Download simulator from http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/cellsystemsim. You will need systemsim-cell-3.1-8.f9.i386.rpm package.

1c. Download open source packages from http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=577. You will need GNU toolchain (x86-cross-compiler version for ppu and spu), libSPE2 (libspe2-cross-devel-2.2.80-132.noarch.rpm) and simulator sysroot image (sysroot_image-3.1-1.noarch.rpm).

2a. Install alien with:

mkdir tmp

sudo alien <rpm file>
    Convert all rpm packages in x86 directory from CellSDK-Devel-Fedora_3.1.0.0.0.iso.

sudo dpkg -i <deb file>

3. Run

4. (Optional) If you want to run a local simulator environment in Eclipse and use the ALF templates, install the dummy packages (attached to this post) i created. You will need rpm for this, should be installed with alien.
    sudo rpm --initdb
    Install dummy packages:

Do I understand correctly that all other RPMs we convert to DEBs with alien, but the RPMs in dummy.tar we install directly with rpm?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-12-01T05:34:13Z  

And as root:
    %> dpkg -i *.deb

Best regards,
    M.K
    Tried everything mentioned in this thread.
    In addition installed tcl & tk 8.4 & 8.5 which removed some errors.

On starting IDE and loading "simple" example I get <libspe2.h> not found

Any suggestions?
    Do I download all of the RPMs I can find on the Barcelona site?

I did download one such package marked "cross-devel" converted with alien and installed with dpkg,

dpkg -i libspe2-cross-devel_2.2.80-133_all.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package libspe2-cross-devel.
    (Reading database ... 144528 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libspe2-cross-devel (from libspe2-cross-devel_2.2.80-133_all.deb) ...
    Setting up libspe2-cross-devel (2.2.80-133) ...
    I expected with the mention of linspe2 in the output from dpkg that I might find libspe2.h, but no luck --- any ideas?

PS. I installed Ubuntu, as Fedora-10 refuses to support my dual-head configuration, Fedora writes the same content to both monitors, it knows I have two and will show a dialog with "mirror monitors" checked - if I uncheck this I cannot save the change. If I load addition drivers from RPMFUSION I loose all monitor support.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-12-01T05:50:24Z  
    Tried everything mentioned in this thread.
    In addition installed tcl & tk 8.4 & 8.5 which removed some errors.

On starting IDE and loading "simple" example I get <libspe2.h> not found

Any suggestions?
    Do I download all of the RPMs I can find on the Barcelona site?

I did download one such package marked "cross-devel" converted with alien and installed with dpkg,

dpkg -i libspe2-cross-devel_2.2.80-133_all.deb
    Selecting previously deselected package libspe2-cross-devel.
    (Reading database ... 144528 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libspe2-cross-devel (from libspe2-cross-devel_2.2.80-133_all.deb) ...
    Setting up libspe2-cross-devel (2.2.80-133) ...
    I expected with the mention of linspe2 in the output from dpkg that I might find libspe2.h, but no luck --- any ideas?

PS. I installed Ubuntu, as Fedora-10 refuses to support my dual-head configuration, Fedora writes the same content to both monitors, it knows I have two and will show a dialog with "mirror monitors" checked - if I uncheck this I cannot save the change. If I load addition drivers from RPMFUSION I loose all monitor support.
    "Might" have found the answer on this page - still working on it:

http://www.bsc.es/plantillaH.php?cat_id=436
  • Diko
    Diko
    18 Posts

‏2008-12-01T16:18:03Z  
    Try with this package: http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/libspe2-cross-devel-2.2.80-132.noarch.rpm

You have to install dummy packages with rpm.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-12-01T20:35:37Z  
    • Diko
    • ‏2008-12-01T16:18:03Z
    Try with this package: http://www.bsc.es/projects/deepcomputing/linuxoncell/cellsimulator/sdk3.1/CellSDK-Open-Fedora/x86/libspe2-cross-devel-2.2.80-132.noarch.rpm

You have to install dummy packages with rpm.
    Ok, so I install the package you mention with RPM (not alien, dpkg) is that correct?

... and maybe I am a dummy for not knowing, but what is the difference between a 'dummy' package and I "not dummy" package?

How in general do I tell the difference? and hence how do I know which to convert with alien and which to just install directly with rpm?

BTW: I already converted the package you mentioned using alien, do I need to "undo" that in some way or will installing with rpm just fix it?

Sorry, I realize that there are a total of five questions here, I do appreciate your help.
  • Diko
    Diko
    18 Posts

‏2008-12-02T08:47:14Z  
    Ok, so I install the package you mention with RPM (not alien, dpkg) is that correct?

... and maybe I am a dummy for not knowing, but what is the difference between a 'dummy' package and I "not dummy" package?

How in general do I tell the difference? and hence how do I know which to convert with alien and which to just install directly with rpm?

BTW: I already converted the package you mentioned using alien, do I need to "undo" that in some way or will installing with rpm just fix it?

Sorry, I realize that there are a total of five questions here, I do appreciate your help.
    You have only to install dummy packages with rpm, everything else you install with alien and dpkg. Dummy packages are created by me, so you can run the simulator in eclipse on ubuntu. It creates some entries in the database and install a version information file in the /etc directory.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-12-08T02:11:07Z  
    • Diko
    • ‏2008-12-02T08:47:14Z
    You have only to install dummy packages with rpm, everything else you install with alien and dpkg. Dummy packages are created by me, so you can run the simulator in eclipse on ubuntu. It creates some entries in the database and install a version information file in the /etc directory.
    Thanks!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-12-08T03:53:51Z  
    • Diko
    • ‏2008-11-23T22:37:16Z
    Hello everyone,

2a. Install alien with:

mkdir tmp

sudo alien <rpm file>

sudo dpkg -i <deb file>

3. Run

sudo rpm --initdb
    Install dummy packages:

When I execute:
    I get:
    /opt/cell/cellsdk_sync_simulator: 59: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
  • Diko
    Diko
    18 Posts

‏2008-12-08T18:43:39Z  
    When I execute:
    I get:
    /opt/cell/cellsdk_sync_simulator: 59: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
    Change '/bin/sh' at start of the script to '/bin/bash'