Topic
6 replies Latest Post - ‏2011-08-12T14:16:29Z by Wheezer
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
32 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic HMC and SNMP

‏2008-05-29T15:28:18Z |
Hi, does anyone know of the possibility of the HMC being SNMP managed? Is SNMP an IBM term? I've not heard of it before although I think it stands for Simple Network Managed Protocol.
Updated on 2011-08-12T14:16:29Z at 2011-08-12T14:16:29Z by Wheezer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    32 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: HMC and SNMP

‏2008-05-29T15:29:12Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    See SC28-8141 Hardware Management Console Application Programming Interfaces. Its got a description of the HMC's SNMP capabilities.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    32 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-10-14T11:02:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi,

I've been able to configure the HMC in order to send out the Hardware messages to my email. The problem that I'm now facing is that the send messages are not realy clear. We still need to go on the HMC in order to read the messages.
    Has anybody an idea on how to do so? I've found something with an *.MIB but I'm not able to find out how this exactly works...

Grts
  • Roger_Macrae
    Roger_Macrae
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-01-21T11:21:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    zSeries HMC's can be configured to send event data via SNMP. You'd typically configure the HMC to send the traps to a Management Station running an appropriate SNMP management application - there are many out there. The MIB that you refer to would typically be loaded on the management station receiving the traps to "assist" in the decoding of such traps. Experience has shown that zSeries HMC MIB's are laden with errors that prevent them from being compiled - not strictly a problem as, depending upon your management application you might be able to deal with traps at OID level rather than relying on decoding via MIB data.

On the prospect of being able to manage the HMC via SNMP - not possible, ip port 161 is closed/disabled at HMC level.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    32 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-02-23T12:08:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hi Devos,

Can you pls let me know where *.MIB is located, i have been looking for this from a month, also if you could give me any link where i can find *.MIB for P5 /P6 frames.

Regards,
    Hari
    • lfaipot
      lfaipot
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-05-20T17:34:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Hari,

It seems it has not been answered yet (in any case, it can be useful for others)

MIBS are located on www.ibm.com/servers/resourcelink then click services (on the left menu) -> API -> MIBS

HTH
  • Wheezer
    Wheezer
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-08-12T14:16:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have enabled SNMP on our 2.9.2 HMC, got our firewall to allow access, loaded IBM's HWMCA-MIB-2.9.2 into the SNMP manager I'm using and can walk the MIB tree.

I really want to monitor our z9BC's physical environment, especially it's tempurature but do not see anything remotely usefull in this respect.

Am I missing something here? Are there MIBs available that provide this kind of information.

Thanks!