My final goal is to transform some old pc's into free-iSeries-stupid terminals.
Using Linux, I want the pc boot into the iSeries login screen automatically, and let the user turn off the system just by pressing the power button.
Since I'm definetely not a Linux expert, I'm trying many things but don't know if they're ok or crap, so I need your advices.
So far I've done this steps:
- install Ubuntu server without servers
- install xorg and some required packages (sudo apt-get install xorg alien libmotif3 libstdc++5)
- get iSeries Access for linux and install it (sudo alien -ci iSeriesAccess-... .rpm)
- how do I execute automatically xorg?
create a script with:
give the script chmod 700
sudo update-rc.d xserver.sh defaults
now, I know that I can manually start a 5250 session by doing:
ibm5250 x.x.x.x -geometry 9999x9999+0+0 -title THETITLE -DISPLAY_NAME "SESSIONNAME" -LANGID en_US
- how to execute this command when x starts?
- how to make the session be displayed full screen? In 1024x768 I have some free space (say 200 px) to the bottom of the screen
- how to kill all processes and turn off computer when the user presses the power button?
Please contribute to this "project", so that all those poor old pc's can be un-buried and revive again!
Thanks in advance...