Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-10-28T12:10:39Z by ishields
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2364 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic i want to do linux exams, need a little nudge in the right direction

‏2008-05-11T18:03:43Z |
Hi support
im fairly new to linux and this forum and for about 3 months i have been using kubuntu and suse.my intentions are simple.
i would now like to take the Linux LPI exams from the beginning to the end but now i'm in a little doubt, let me explain.

for some time now i have being looking for a guide on how best to travel towards taking linux exams most prep information that i have found is either out dated or have little or no value at all that was until i stumbled on
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/101.html?S_TACT=105AGX03&S_CMP=LP#firstmajorhead
it is this, the wealth of information that i was searching for. now that i have found it and before before i begin studying

(1) i would really like to know if all of the LPI exam-prep tutorials are current thats on this site?

(2) im confused because this site with respect to Linux mainly speaks about developerWorks.
does this mean i cannot take the exams because i'm not a programmer ?

(3) i have bought a book "linux rute user tutorial and exposition" by paul sheer.
can you say if this book complements the tutorial on this site ?
a link to the online book ( http://rute.2038bug.com/rute.html.gz )

(4) if you know or have this book can you tell me if it will help me passing all linux exams ?

i have good knowledge with computers and I.T, i also have taken exams in another operating system however i would like to take all linux courses starting from exam 101.

i do hope you can answer these few simple questions for me.
your answer is of value as it will aid me in better understanding the direction that i ought to take

thank you
trenton
Updated on 2009-10-28T12:10:39Z at 2009-10-28T12:10:39Z by ishields
  • ishields
    ishields
    988 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: i want to do linux exams, need a little nudge in the right direction

‏2008-05-12T02:30:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    With regard to your questions.

1) All the LPI tutorials that are currently on the site are all the LPI tutorials that are currently on the site. I have three LPIC-1 tutorials to complete and it is my intention to complete those in the reasonably near future.

2)The tutorials you are looking at are on the IBM developerWorks web site. You get the tutorials at no charge. We do mention any relevant portions of developerWorks. We'd like you to use developerWorks, but that's not a prerequisite to using the tutorials.

3) I haven't bought or read the book you cite, so I have no opinion pro or con. You are free to use whatever sources work for you. take a look at http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/?S_TACT=105AGX03&S_CMP=ZHP for a few comments from users of our material.

Ian Shields
    • newsman
      newsman
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-28T09:20:12Z  in response to ishields
      I intend to take the linux exam part 1 (for LPI level 1)

The tutorials have been a great help.

The last tutorial is misnumbered. The feedback section also gives me error when I try to submit. Thus I have posted this information here...

(P.s. this is my first post... my intro. I am a junior developer primarily interest in python, embedded software and software testing)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2364 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-05-12T13:00:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    thank you for your reply.
    first i must say the tutorials are worth their weight in gold. they are clear, concise and to the point without deviating
    into unrelated paths.

i am already looking forward for your next set of tutorials to wrap my brain around.

thanks
    trent
    • ishields
      ishields
      988 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-10-28T12:10:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      The LPI objectives changed in April this year and there was some renumbering. The tutorials match the prior objectives. We have started updating the material as a larger set of shorter articles. See Learn Linux, 101: A roadmap for LPIC-1 for details, including details of how to set up a feed so you will know when we publish each new article. Much of the older material is still relevant, but you will need to match it to current objectives adn make sure you have covered any new objectives that are missing from the older material.

Ian Shields