Topic
  • 62 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-02-03T19:56:38Z by SystemAdmin
bpgross
bpgross
627 Posts

Pinned topic LINQ Entity Framework Beta released for DB2, IDS and U2 servers

‏2008-05-06T14:05:00Z |
I am pleased to announce that we have released a beta for DB2, IDS and U2 support in the LINQ Entity Framework. This beta works with the current Entity Framework Beta 3. The beta is available for download here:

DB2, IDS and U2 LINQ Entity Framework beta download

We have demonstrated early versions of this beta at VS Live and IIUG conferences, using the Entity Framework Designer with the DB2 sample database and IDS stores_demo database.

Please make sure to note the limitations listed - this is the Entity Framework Beta 3 and Data Server clients (ds driver, runtime client or client) at V9.5.0 levels only. The beta will also work with DB2 Express-C 9.5. The beta updates the existing IBM.Data.DB2 provider, thus any V9.5 fixpacks or updates to the Entity Framework after than beta 3 will not work with this beta.

Please use this forum to discuss any issues with the beta.

Enjoy!!

Brent.
Updated on 2009-02-03T19:56:38Z at 2009-02-03T19:56:38Z by SystemAdmin
  • calinarens
    calinarens
    7 Posts

Re: LINQ Entity Framework Beta released for DB2, IDS and U2 servers

‏2008-05-14T09:10:24Z  
    So, how do we get started?

In the "Choose Data Source" dialog belonging to the "Entity Data Model Wizard" dialog only SQL Server can be selected.
    The IBM DB2 data source can only be selected with respect to the Dataset editor.
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2008-05-14T13:52:42Z  
    So, how do we get started?

In the "Choose Data Source" dialog belonging to the "Entity Data Model Wizard" dialog only SQL Server can be selected.
    The IBM DB2 data source can only be selected with respect to the Dataset editor.
    The starting point would be a working development system with one of the IBM data server V9.5 client packages (or any DB2 server install) and our VS Addins (For IDS servers, the necessary client does not come with the server install, one of the data server clients must be downloaded and installed). Also installed must be the EF beta 3 and the corresponding EF designer beta.

Once setup, open any new or existing project, and do an add new item, and pick the ADO .NET Entity Data Model. Select Generate from Database, and on the next panel of the wizard, the data connections drop down will have all the connections from Server Explorer. A new connection can be added right here. After selecting your connection, the next panel will have the enumeration of objects to add to your object model.

Brent.
  • calinarens
    calinarens
    7 Posts

‏2008-05-14T14:05:05Z  
    That's what I tried, but the connections for DB2 are not showing up in the entity framework dialogs.
    Though, I think the problem might be that I installed .NET FW 3.5 SP1 Beta, instead of just the ADO.NET Beta 3.
    I will try tomorrow.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-05-14T14:31:39Z  
    That's what I tried, but the connections for DB2 are not showing up in the entity framework dialogs.
    Though, I think the problem might be that I installed .NET FW 3.5 SP1 Beta, instead of just the ADO.NET Beta 3.
    I will try tomorrow.
    We do not support .NET FW 3.5 SP1 Beta yet. Try it with EF Beta3 and also make sure that the VS Addin has been installed.
  • calinarens
    calinarens
    7 Posts

‏2008-05-15T11:44:38Z  
    With the specified version it works.
    Cool!!! :-)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-05-16T18:33:23Z  
    Will this work on the IBM DB2 for i at patch level 15 and V5R4M0 of the OS patch level?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-05-19T14:26:57Z  
    Will this work on the IBM DB2 for i at patch level 15 and V5R4M0 of the OS patch level?
    This Beta does not support DB2 for iSeries.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-05-20T06:37:41Z  
    This Beta does not support DB2 for iSeries.
    and the product will support DB2 for iSeries when?
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2008-05-22T22:49:37Z  
    and the product will support DB2 for iSeries when?
    For the current beta, we have not done any testing with iSeries at this time.

To split the functionality in two - I expect the actual LINQ runtime to have few issues, as iSeries is very similar to LUW, especially if you stick to simpler cases.

The EF designer is not going to work, we generate catalog queries under the covers to populate the metadata in the designer, and we only have catalog queries for LUW and IDS. If you were able to create the same table on a DB2 LUW server, use the EF designer there to create your EF model, then change the connection string to point to iSeries, it stands a good chance of working. Not an ideal solution I fully admit, just making you aware of possibilities.

We do not have a date available for when we will have FW 3.5 SP1 beta 1 support, or additional servers.

Brent.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-06-12T14:55:52Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2008-05-22T22:49:37Z
    For the current beta, we have not done any testing with iSeries at this time.

To split the functionality in two - I expect the actual LINQ runtime to have few issues, as iSeries is very similar to LUW, especially if you stick to simpler cases.

The EF designer is not going to work, we generate catalog queries under the covers to populate the metadata in the designer, and we only have catalog queries for LUW and IDS. If you were able to create the same table on a DB2 LUW server, use the EF designer there to create your EF model, then change the connection string to point to iSeries, it stands a good chance of working. Not an ideal solution I fully admit, just making you aware of possibilities.

We do not have a date available for when we will have FW 3.5 SP1 beta 1 support, or additional servers.

Brent.
    Any updates on how we can use an Informix server with LINQ and the Entity Framework. We are using VS2008 SP1 Beta with the FW 3.5 SP1 Beta.

I heard that this was demonstrated at a Tech-Ed chalk session last week:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/archive/2008/06/05/entity-framework-provider-updates.aspx

Can we assume then that the IBM Data Server Provider for .NET Beta 1 supports SP1 Beta?

Or is there another IBM beta being released soon?
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2008-06-12T17:10:24Z  
    Any updates on how we can use an Informix server with LINQ and the Entity Framework. We are using VS2008 SP1 Beta with the FW 3.5 SP1 Beta.

I heard that this was demonstrated at a Tech-Ed chalk session last week:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/archive/2008/06/05/entity-framework-provider-updates.aspx

Can we assume then that the IBM Data Server Provider for .NET Beta 1 supports SP1 Beta?

Or is there another IBM beta being released soon?
    The append at the start of this thread has the download link, it supports IDS Cheetah servers.

However, as indicated in the append, the current DB2 / IDS beta is built on the EF beta 3 code. We just received the delta from MS a week ago to support SP1, and are currently evaluating the cost to move to SP1, and when we will be able to release such support.

At such time, I expect we will move our base from the DS V9.5 GA client to the DS V9.5 FP1 client level.

Brent.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-07-01T18:23:22Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2008-06-12T17:10:24Z
    The append at the start of this thread has the download link, it supports IDS Cheetah servers.

However, as indicated in the append, the current DB2 / IDS beta is built on the EF beta 3 code. We just received the delta from MS a week ago to support SP1, and are currently evaluating the cost to move to SP1, and when we will be able to release such support.

At such time, I expect we will move our base from the DS V9.5 GA client to the DS V9.5 FP1 client level.

Brent.
    I am very much looking forward to LINQ to DB2. I extensively use LINQ to SQL, but a majority of data in nearly all companies seems to be DB2 on an enterprise level. Any updates on development?
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2008-07-02T15:24:22Z  
    I am very much looking forward to LINQ to DB2. I extensively use LINQ to SQL, but a majority of data in nearly all companies seems to be DB2 on an enterprise level. Any updates on development?
    Bob,

The first post in this thread announces a beta download for LINQ and DB2 - have you looked at that?

Brent.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-07-02T16:43:58Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2008-06-12T17:10:24Z

Brent.
    Hi Brent
    We tried the link at the top of this thread. However we don't have the ado.net IDS client drivers and I can't find them on the IBM site?
    Any ideas where I can download them from so that I can connect to IDS using VS.Net and just do normal ADO.Net stuff with support for IDS inside VS.Net ?
    Once I get that working I'll try the LINQ stuff.
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2008-07-06T04:08:18Z  
    Hi Brent
    We tried the link at the top of this thread. However we don't have the ado.net IDS client drivers and I can't find them on the IBM site?
    Any ideas where I can download them from so that I can connect to IDS using VS.Net and just do normal ADO.Net stuff with support for IDS inside VS.Net ?
    Once I get that working I'll try the LINQ stuff.
    This is a link to our IDS .NET FAQ page:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/DB2/IDS+and+.NET+FAQ

The first (only so far) FAQ there does link to the downloads. It does that via the DB2 .NET FAQ, and then you will have links to both our FAQ sites.

Brent.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-07-07T09:04:53Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2008-07-06T04:08:18Z
    This is a link to our IDS .NET FAQ page:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/wikis/display/DB2/IDS+and+.NET+FAQ

The first (only so far) FAQ there does link to the downloads. It does that via the DB2 .NET FAQ, and then you will have links to both our FAQ sites.

Brent.
    Hi Brent
    Thanks for the links - they're really helpful.
    This is the error I get when I try and connect using testconn20 against our IDS server.

Unable to open socket to server:

ERROR 08001 IBM SQL30081N A communication error has been detected. Communi
    cation protocol being used: "TCP/IP". Communication API being used: "SOCKETS".
    Location where the error was detected: "111.11.11.11". Communication function
    detecting the error: "recv". Protocol specific error code(s): "", "", "0". S
    QLSTATE=08001

Any ideas of where to start looking? I have installed the development workstation bits as per the faq.

Bernard

Message was edited by: boflynn
    Updated on 2008-07-07T09:04:53Z at 2008-07-07T09:04:53Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-08-26T19:16:24Z  
    Brent,

Can you give us any idea (as rough as necessary) as to when we'll see another release (beta or otherwise) that will support .NET 3.5 SP1, now that the ADO.NET Entity Framework has officially been released?

Thanks,
    Geoff
  • bpgross
    bpgross
    627 Posts

‏2008-08-26T20:44:19Z  
    Brent,

Can you give us any idea (as rough as necessary) as to when we'll see another release (beta or otherwise) that will support .NET 3.5 SP1, now that the ADO.NET Entity Framework has officially been released?

Thanks,
    Geoff
    We just released our FP2 drivers, and that has (beta) support for the EF SP1 beta delivered with it. As you can imagine, with our QA cycle, that was the most recent set of bits when we hit code cutoff for our driver.

Looking at a recent append on the ADO.NET blog, they list several changes from SP1 beta -> RTM that affect providers, thus our EF provider released as part of FP2 will not work with the SP1 RTM - such is life.

You can do the math as well as I can hint - we are working on whatever comes after FP2 now, and SP1 has reached RTM, thus it seems to make sense that that next thing after FP2 will have the support for RTM. No guarantees, but that is kind of where we are headed.

Brent.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-09-04T10:44:09Z  
    • bpgross
    • ‏2008-08-26T20:44:19Z
    We just released our FP2 drivers, and that has (beta) support for the EF SP1 beta delivered with it. As you can imagine, with our QA cycle, that was the most recent set of bits when we hit code cutoff for our driver.

Looking at a recent append on the ADO.NET blog, they list several changes from SP1 beta -> RTM that affect providers, thus our EF provider released as part of FP2 will not work with the SP1 RTM - such is life.

You can do the math as well as I can hint - we are working on whatever comes after FP2 now, and SP1 has reached RTM, thus it seems to make sense that that next thing after FP2 will have the support for RTM. No guarantees, but that is kind of where we are headed.

Brent.
    Hi Brent
    Not knowing the 'normal' schedule for FP's, can we have a rough timeline,i.e. doe FP's come out once a year, once every 6 months, 18 months, 24 months?
    If SP1 has RTM'ed does that mean the next FP will have RTM support for EF SP1 ?

Regards,
    Bernard
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-09-07T21:54:42Z  
    Hi Brent
    Not knowing the 'normal' schedule for FP's, can we have a rough timeline,i.e. doe FP's come out once a year, once every 6 months, 18 months, 24 months?
    If SP1 has RTM'ed does that mean the next FP will have RTM support for EF SP1 ?

Regards,
    Bernard
    Any more information on when the **iSeries DB2** providers might get some love? The longer it takes the more of us will just give up and start using NHibernate for good.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-09-09T13:48:40Z  
    Hi
    Any news on when the db2 data provider for entity framwork might be released?
    I have the same problem as mentioned earlier, can't select db2 data provider (since its not there) in the entity data model wizard.
    I'm running VS SP1 (not any beta).

cheers
    /Jimmy
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-09-17T07:17:26Z  
    Hi
    Any news on when the db2 data provider for entity framwork might be released?
    I have the same problem as mentioned earlier, can't select db2 data provider (since its not there) in the entity data model wizard.
    I'm running VS SP1 (not any beta).

cheers
    /Jimmy
    Hi,

Any further info on a release to support EF RTM?
    Cheers,
    Steve
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2826 Posts

‏2008-09-26T13:58:10Z  
    Hi,

Any further info on a release to support EF RTM?
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I am also curious for a date, because we can calculate it into our new project.
  • rrv
    rrv
    11 Posts

‏2008-10-01T18:52:43Z  
    I am also curious for a date, because we can calculate it into our new project.
    Me too.. Anxiously awaiting DB2 support for LINQ. So started looking from MS point of view. There is yet another major product called Silverlight which is expected to make a paradigm shift in IT (definitely not only in windows) world. That product too is in Beta 2 for quite sometime. To throw more light on it, VisualWebGUI.com has already released a product which can - on the fly convert your windows application into a silverlight application which works exactly as expected on the web on a browser. But still MS has no word on its release date. Silverlight Beta requires all .NET namespaces to be silverlight compliant. For example dotNET 3.5's system.data.dll cannot be used directly in silverlight application. All the examples still try to convince you to use a WCF service to be the datasource for a silverlight app. So that is bit fishy.

In dotNET 2.0 CLR i've developed a DLL which takes a valid connection string to any datasource and connects at runtime and fulfills almost all data requirements. 100% provider independent coding - YES. If IQueryable and usage of Lambda expressions are mastered should'nt i assume having "Linq to SQL" and "ADO.NET Entity Model" are redundant and i can create a 100% provider independent LINQ? So i presume MS is busy plugging the current LINQ!!! Once this Linq and Entity framework is perfectly released to mass, i expect there should be a common base in which even if the provider did not support LINQ,... my code should be able to LINQify. Of course this common base will or may not support specific features of the database. For example i've faced big problem to distinguish physical file and source physical file residing in iSeries while using "GetSchema" from Windows. This could be a possible IBM specific feature which the common base i'm talking may not support. But big deal. Business wants something else called cubes or cuboids not physical files.

If what i say is right, Any number of days IBM takes to release a LINQ support to DB2 provider in LUW or iSeries, we the programers should be able to encapsulate a common base which does most of the LINQifying business requirements. But please dont confuse what i say here to LINQ to Datasets using AsEnumerable. Well i'm try to say an equivalent to SQLMETAL for DB2.

Pros. Does it really take long to make a "Linq to DB2" in a opensource place like www.codeplex.com?
    1. A SQLMETAL equivalent, 2. Transaction scoping Result class with DB, 3. Execute the basic CRUD + Bulk Inserts.
    These three steps and we are almost there.

Shall we keep our fingers crossed and wait for IBM to give a release schedule or shall we start doing one ourselves to meet all basic requirements what it takes to be a LINQ to DB2? How many to count here?