Topic
  • 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-06-15T10:06:36Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
262 Posts

Pinned topic No Emulator Window

‏2008-04-29T17:57:48Z |
I installed iSeries access for linux in my new Ubuntu 8.04. There is a problem. When I added a connection and double click it to open it, a pop up window comes saying "The 5250 Emulator is starting. Please Wait". After this noting happens, no window opens.

Please Help!!!
Thanks
Abhishek Verma
Updated on 2008-06-15T10:06:36Z at 2008-06-15T10:06:36Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    262 Posts

Re: No Emulator Window

‏2008-04-29T19:19:39Z  
    try executing the ibm5250 as follows:

1. ibm5250 -debug

That will show us why is not starting.

Post the results here.
  • dagar
    dagar
    6 Posts

‏2008-05-13T15:58:43Z  
    Here is what I did to get the previous version of iseries access for Linux to run on gutsy:

You'll need pretty scalable fonts that IBM's program recognizes:

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts sudo fc-cache -f -v

Recall that IBM doesn't release a DEBIAN package, only an RPM. To install RPMs on Debian, you'll need ALIEN.

sudo apt-get install alien

After it installs, while being in the same directory as your iSeries RPM, do:

sudo alien -i iSeriesAccess-5.2.0-1.10.i386.rpm

(your filename may be different, may the TAB KEY be with you)

Again, most of this I stole from Sirnigel's post, but repeat it hear for convenience. Next, do:

sudo apt-get install libmotif3

then: sudo apt-get install libxaw6

then: sudo ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libcwbcore.so /usr/lib/libcwbcore.so

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbcore.so /usr/lib/libcwbodbc.so

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbodbcs.so /usr/lib/libcwbodbcs.so

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbrc.so /usr/lib/libcwbrc.so

then: sudo ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.3 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbcore.so /usr/lib/libcwbcore.so

then: sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

then: sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

Now, this is why I had to do a little digging on my own, because this next step was missing. In fact, I wrote this entire post, because I think you should know that you'll also need to do this... then: sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

to run, just: /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/ibm5250 -LANGID en_us

I made a custom app launcher. If you're used to the windows version from IBM, this should make you feel right at home. Some keybindings were by default a little different, but you just did all that other hard stuff, you can probably point and click your way through the rest of it.
  • furicle
    furicle
    12 Posts

‏2008-05-14T16:08:39Z  
    • dagar
    • ‏2008-05-13T15:58:43Z
    Here is what I did to get the previous version of iseries access for Linux to run on gutsy:

You'll need pretty scalable fonts that IBM's program recognizes:

sudo apt-get install msttcorefonts sudo fc-cache -f -v

Recall that IBM doesn't release a DEBIAN package, only an RPM. To install RPMs on Debian, you'll need ALIEN.

sudo apt-get install alien

After it installs, while being in the same directory as your iSeries RPM, do:

sudo alien -i iSeriesAccess-5.2.0-1.10.i386.rpm

(your filename may be different, may the TAB KEY be with you)

Again, most of this I stole from Sirnigel's post, but repeat it hear for convenience. Next, do:

sudo apt-get install libmotif3

then: sudo apt-get install libxaw6

then: sudo ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libcwbcore.so /usr/lib/libcwbcore.so

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbcore.so /usr/lib/libcwbodbc.so

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbodbcs.so /usr/lib/libcwbodbcs.so

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbrc.so /usr/lib/libcwbrc.so

then: sudo ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXm.so.3 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3

then: sudo ln -s /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/lib/libcwbcore.so /usr/lib/libcwbcore.so

then: sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.5 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

then: sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

Now, this is why I had to do a little digging on my own, because this next step was missing. In fact, I wrote this entire post, because I think you should know that you'll also need to do this... then: sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

to run, just: /opt/ibm/iSeriesAccess/bin/ibm5250 -LANGID en_us

I made a custom app launcher. If you're used to the windows version from IBM, this should make you feel right at home. Some keybindings were by default a little different, but you just did all that other hard stuff, you can probably point and click your way through the rest of it.
    Why did you feel all those symbolic links were required? I had it working (but only tested it quickly) without them. Was I missing something?

Note the latest version seems to run OK in Hardy (again - only tested quickly) with just installing the prerequisites and using alien on the rpm.

Brian
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    262 Posts

‏2008-05-28T14:53:05Z  
    • furicle
    • ‏2008-05-14T16:08:39Z
    Why did you feel all those symbolic links were required? I had it working (but only tested it quickly) without them. Was I missing something?

Note the latest version seems to run OK in Hardy (again - only tested quickly) with just installing the prerequisites and using alien on the rpm.

Brian
    Some of those links may be required depending on how did you use alien. symlinks are created by the RPM to make sure the libraries are properly loaded, but when converting the RPM to .deb, the scripts that create those symlinks may be lost.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    262 Posts

‏2008-06-15T10:06:36Z  
    Some of those links may be required depending on how did you use alien. symlinks are created by the RPM to make sure the libraries are properly loaded, but when converting the RPM to .deb, the scripts that create those symlinks may be lost.
    Thanks for all your support and the ways to show me how to debug this issue on Linux.

The problem was library libcwbcore.so was not at its intended place i.e. /usr/X11R6/lib/ where /usr/lib/libcwbcore.so shortcut was pointing to.

The case is solved now and I am closing this topic.

Once again, Thanks a lot

Abhishek (montu)