• Latest Post - ‏2013-05-17T05:40:38Z by 6YED_Arkell_Rasiah
tweetpiyo
tweetpiyo
9 Posts

Pinned topic Compatibility mode error

‏2008-04-29T17:01:34Z |
Hi all,

I've received this warnings ever since I installed the patch:

[W] Pure: Your application is running in compatibility mode. (Environment variable: __COMPAT_LAYER; value: EnableNXShowUI)
Running in compatibility mode is not supported and may cause the application not to run properly.

I've double check that my application is not running compatible mode and I've never had this error prior to installing the patch. By the way, I'm using PurifyPlus 7.0

Does anyone has a clue?

Thanks in advance.
Updated on 2012-05-18T03:48:36Z at 2012-05-18T03:48:36Z by Manith
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2948 Posts

Re: Compatibility mode error

‏2008-04-30T18:11:14Z  
    The Compatibility mode setting is used for different purposes, some of which are not clearly documented or understood. When used for OS compatibility (e.g., Win95, Win98) Purify doesn't support these and won't work. When we detect one of these known incompatibilities we flag that as an error, not a warning. We issue a warning if we see other _COMPAT_LAYER settings, as a potentially useful message in case there is a problem running Purify. This specific setting isn't well defined, but seems harmless so far. It seems to have something to do with a popup that accompanies no-execute violations, but that's not certain. If you don't see any other problems running Purify with this setting in place you can ignore it. Once you're comfortable that it's not an issue you can create a filter that will cause this warning to not be displayed by default. If you do run into problems you'll want to let Tech Support know about this warning.
    You didn't see this with earlier versions of Purify because we didn't check for this before.

cheers,
    Geary
  • Manith
    Manith
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-14T05:20:00Z  
    The Compatibility mode setting is used for different purposes, some of which are not clearly documented or understood. When used for OS compatibility (e.g., Win95, Win98) Purify doesn't support these and won't work. When we detect one of these known incompatibilities we flag that as an error, not a warning. We issue a warning if we see other _COMPAT_LAYER settings, as a potentially useful message in case there is a problem running Purify. This specific setting isn't well defined, but seems harmless so far. It seems to have something to do with a popup that accompanies no-execute violations, but that's not certain. If you don't see any other problems running Purify with this setting in place you can ignore it. Once you're comfortable that it's not an issue you can create a filter that will cause this warning to not be displayed by default. If you do run into problems you'll want to let Tech Support know about this warning.
    You didn't see this with earlier versions of Purify because we didn't check for this before.

cheers,
    Geary
    Hi,

I am able to instrument & run Purify (with temp license) without any issues
    on Windows XP machine.

On Windows Vista machine I am able to run a “win32 console” application without any issues with Purify. It instruments and runs without any error.

On Windows Vista machine, built a project of type “MFC”->MFC application with all default settings. Instrumenting it with Purify and running it gives the error “An unhandled exception occurred during the test” and the application doesn’t comes up.

In the Purify’d data browser I see a Purify error related to application running in compatibility mode.

If I enable the Purify during the build (i.e. if I instrument) then it fails while creating a empty document with an error “failed to create empty document”.

Simple MFC application works without any issue. i.e. without enabling Purify if I build the MFC application it works well.

Is it a known issue on Vista?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2948 Posts

‏2012-05-14T08:25:50Z  
    • Manith
    • ‏2012-05-14T05:20:00Z
    Hi,

I am able to instrument & run Purify (with temp license) without any issues
    on Windows XP machine.

On Windows Vista machine I am able to run a “win32 console” application without any issues with Purify. It instruments and runs without any error.

On Windows Vista machine, built a project of type “MFC”->MFC application with all default settings. Instrumenting it with Purify and running it gives the error “An unhandled exception occurred during the test” and the application doesn’t comes up.

In the Purify’d data browser I see a Purify error related to application running in compatibility mode.

If I enable the Purify during the build (i.e. if I instrument) then it fails while creating a empty document with an error “failed to create empty document”.

Simple MFC application works without any issue. i.e. without enabling Purify if I build the MFC application it works well.

Is it a known issue on Vista?
    Hi Manith,

I can not reproduce your problem on Vista. What is your Purify version? Visual Studio version? or please attach your test application and Visual Studio project files.

Regards,
    Gary
  • Manith
    Manith
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-14T11:02:17Z  
    Hi Manith,

I can not reproduce your problem on Vista. What is your Purify version? Visual Studio version? or please attach your test application and Visual Studio project files.

Regards,
    Gary
    Hi,

Please find the application zip file attached fyi. Version details I will send later.

--Thanks,
    Pramila
  • Manith
    Manith
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-14T11:03:59Z  
    Hi Manith,

Regards,
    Gary
    Hi Gary,

Please find the version info. in the attached file fyi.
    Let meknow if you need more info. I am able to repro it easily.

--Thanks,
    Pramila
  • Manith
    Manith
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-14T12:59:59Z  
    • Manith
    • ‏2012-05-14T11:03:59Z
    Hi Gary,

Please find the version info. in the attached file fyi.
    Let meknow if you need more info. I am able to repro it easily.

--Thanks,
    Pramila
    Hi Gary,

Did you get my attachments? Looks like there is an issue. Please let me know your personal mail id. I will send all the details.

--Thanks,
    Pramila
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2948 Posts

‏2012-05-15T02:29:36Z  
    • Manith
    • ‏2012-05-14T12:59:59Z
    Hi Gary,

Did you get my attachments? Looks like there is an issue. Please let me know your personal mail id. I will send all the details.

--Thanks,
    Pramila
    Hi Pramila,

I did not find your new attachments here, I think your attachment size is small, please zip them and try again. My personal mail id is gaoweibin@tom.com.

Regards,
    Gary
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2948 Posts

‏2012-05-17T09:36:18Z  
    • Manith
    • ‏2012-05-14T12:59:59Z
    Hi Gary,

--Thanks,
    Pramila
    Hi Pramila,

I got your attachments, then tried to build your project in Visual Studio 2010 on Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2. I do not have Visual Studio 2008 in my environment. We are using same PurifyPlus version 7.0.1.0-003. I still can not reproduce your problem on Vista. Is this only on Windows Vista? Did you try it on Windows 7? or did you try in Visual Studio 2010?

There is not known PurifyPlus issues on Vista. If you still have this problem and want to get help from us, please send your TestMFC.exe to me, or contact IBM Rational PurifyPlus support team.

Regards,
    Gary
  • Manith
    Manith
    5 Posts

‏2012-05-18T03:48:36Z  
    Hi Pramila,

I got your attachments, then tried to build your project in Visual Studio 2010 on Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 2. I do not have Visual Studio 2008 in my environment. We are using same PurifyPlus version 7.0.1.0-003. I still can not reproduce your problem on Vista. Is this only on Windows Vista? Did you try it on Windows 7? or did you try in Visual Studio 2010?

There is not known PurifyPlus issues on Vista. If you still have this problem and want to get help from us, please send your TestMFC.exe to me, or contact IBM Rational PurifyPlus support team.

Regards,
    Gary
    Gary,

Thanks a lot for looking into this issue.

Did a fresh installaion of Vista, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Rational Purify Plus on another machine and everything works as expected.

But I am not able to figure out what is going wrong on another machine where problem persists.

--Regards,
    Pramila
  • 6YED_Arkell_Rasiah
    6YED_Arkell_Rasiah
    1 Post

‏2013-05-17T05:40:38Z  
    • Manith
    • ‏2012-05-18T03:48:36Z
    Gary,

Thanks a lot for looking into this issue.

Did a fresh installaion of Vista, Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, Rational Purify Plus on another machine and everything works as expected.

But I am not able to figure out what is going wrong on another machine where problem persists.

--Regards,
    Pramila

I ran into a similar issue... while doing a purify on an app it crashed... and it turned out the crash app (the purify cache .exe) registered itself in the Window registry to run in compatibility mode. And purify would never run the appl thereafter.

Blowing away purify's cache and reinstalling purify etc made no difference... since the crash app registered in the registry elsewhere.

After many hrs... I finally found the answer in a post... on where to look.

And true enough those  appl paths were there... I removed it and purify is back to run my appl.

To fix the issue:

1. Hit start->run->regedit
    2. Go to key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
    3. Look for a entry with your path to <your appl>.exe
    4. Delete that entry
    5. If you dont find it there try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

There original post to the soln:

http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html