• 3 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-04-10T16:44:11Z by Stan
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1525 Posts

Pinned topic Derby Error XSDB4

‏2008-04-10T15:47:41Z |
Hi,

I am working with WebSphere Process Server 6.1 which uses a Derby database by default. All worked well until now : I noted that several applications could not start as usual.. The exception which appears in my log is the following :
java.sql.SQLException: Failed to start database 'C:\IBM\WebSphere\ProcServer\profiles\ProcSrv01/databases/BPEDB', see the next exception for details.DSRA0010E: SQL State = XJ040, Error Code = 40,000
ERROR XSDB4: Page Page(1,Container(0, 7344)) is at version 165,588, the log file contains change version 167,691, either there are log records of this page missing, or this page did not get written out to disk properly.
Does anyone have a clue as to why all of a sudden I will be getting this error message?? I haven't changed anything in my settings or files, everything is the same that used to work.

Please let me know if anyone has seen this error before or know what I can do to fix it.
Thanks in advance for yout help,

Motorenshi.
Updated on 2008-04-10T16:44:11Z at 2008-04-10T16:44:11Z by Stan
  • Stan
    Stan
    267 Posts

Re: Derby Error XSDB4

‏2008-04-10T16:07:10Z  
    This indicates that the database has been corrupted - usually the only option is to recover from backup. The files in a database are a synchronized set and page versions are used in the transaction log to insure that the database files have not been changed (corrupted) unexpectedly. Some of external activities that can cause such an error is double booting the database or manually changing/deleting files in the database directory. I/O problems and hardware errors can also result in file corruption.

Have you had any serious failures on the machine? Have any tools or applications outside of process server been used to access the database?

I would recommend opening a support case with the Process Server group so they can investigate this failure more completely.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1525 Posts

‏2008-04-10T16:28:05Z  
    • Stan
    • ‏2008-04-10T16:07:10Z
    This indicates that the database has been corrupted - usually the only option is to recover from backup. The files in a database are a synchronized set and page versions are used in the transaction log to insure that the database files have not been changed (corrupted) unexpectedly. Some of external activities that can cause such an error is double booting the database or manually changing/deleting files in the database directory. I/O problems and hardware errors can also result in file corruption.

Have you had any serious failures on the machine? Have any tools or applications outside of process server been used to access the database?

I would recommend opening a support case with the Process Server group so they can investigate this failure more completely.
    Stan ,thx for your answer.

No failures on the machine. But I noted that the problem started after a technical power cut. The machine was (carefully) shut down before, but at restarting, the error appeared...

No other application access the database...

I am beginner with Derby, but is it a way to recover this database in a correct state (I have not made any backup or anything else for it, but maybe it is automatically done by default?)...

Thanks for your answer..
  • Stan
    Stan
    267 Posts

‏2008-04-10T16:44:11Z  
    Stan ,thx for your answer.

No failures on the machine. But I noted that the problem started after a technical power cut. The machine was (carefully) shut down before, but at restarting, the error appeared...

No other application access the database...

I am beginner with Derby, but is it a way to recover this database in a correct state (I have not made any backup or anything else for it, but maybe it is automatically done by default?)...

Thanks for your answer..
    Derby should recover fine from power failures unless some kind of file buffering is being used. Windows has a buffering feature (write caching) that is active by default in some cases and would cause this sort of problem when power/machine failures happen. Please see the following article and disable this if it is active on your machine.

Title: Possible Data Loss After You Enable the "Write Cache Enabled"
    Feature - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281672