Topic
  • 16 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-02-01T04:43:13Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
5842 Posts

Pinned topic Workflow stops after an Interaction Node

‏2008-04-08T16:56:31Z |
I have a simple workflow that uses an Interaction Node to have a user select the Owner for a Service Request, and then a Task node to create the assignment.

When running the workflow from an SR, the Select Owner box does pop up, but after selecting the person/person group, I have to hit the workflow button again to kickstart the workflow.

I have an arrow from the Interaction node to a Task Node that creates the assignment, but it won't go past the Interaction node without hitting the workflow button.

What am I missing? Why won't the workflow automatically continue after selecting the owner with the interaction node?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: Shawnln
Updated on 2013-02-01T04:43:13Z at 2013-02-01T04:43:13Z by SystemAdmin
  • bbradford
    bbradford
    35 Posts

Re: Workflow stops after an Interaction Node

‏2008-04-08T22:05:26Z  
    I believe this behavior is working as designed. In effect you are choosing Select Action, Set Owner. I don't think the workflow can detect when this action is completed. In any event, I have run into the identical behavior, and noted similar complaints on this and the yahoo groups message board without any other resolution than to click on workflow button a second time. If you find out something different, please share it.

-Boyd
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2008-04-09T13:07:09Z  
    • bbradford
    • ‏2008-04-08T22:05:26Z
    I believe this behavior is working as designed. In effect you are choosing Select Action, Set Owner. I don't think the workflow can detect when this action is completed. In any event, I have run into the identical behavior, and noted similar complaints on this and the yahoo groups message board without any other resolution than to click on workflow button a second time. If you find out something different, please share it.

-Boyd
    Thanks for giving me some input. I think you are right. The Interaction Node pauses the workflow in every instance that I have seen.

We don't want the customer having to hit that workflow button again.

I'm attempting to find a way around it now.
  • dana_cochran
    dana_cochran
    12 Posts

‏2008-04-09T14:37:58Z  
    Are you using version 6? Looking at my interactive nodes, I have a property called "Action". I select "ROUTEWF". My users don't have to click the route wf button - it happens automatically. I hope i'm talking about the same thing you are...
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2008-04-09T14:58:01Z  
    Are you using version 6? Looking at my interactive nodes, I have a property called "Action". I select "ROUTEWF". My users don't have to click the route wf button - it happens automatically. I hope i'm talking about the same thing you are...
    I am using version 6.2

I am using the "OWNER" in the "Action" property to have the user Select Owner for the Service Request.

ROUTEWF works, but I can't have 2 actions in this node.
  • dana_cochran
    dana_cochran
    12 Posts

‏2008-04-09T16:06:30Z  
    I am using version 6.2

I am using the "OWNER" in the "Action" property to have the user Select Owner for the Service Request.

ROUTEWF works, but I can't have 2 actions in this node.
    I have a wf that does something similar. I am giving the user a choice as to who they want the owner to be (I use a manual input node with the list of about 10 choices) - which has a line going to an interactive node for each possible choice. On the action line for each, I have an action that does a setvalue to set the owner field to the person chosen. Then the interactive node simply does a routewf and displays a confirmation.

Maybe it could be done better, but this is how I did it when I started with Maximo - I didn't know of another way! There may be, but I don't want my users to have to click the button again either.

Message was edited by: dana_cochran
    Updated on 2008-04-09T16:06:30Z at 2008-04-09T16:06:30Z by dana_cochran
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2008-04-09T16:42:27Z  
    I have a wf that does something similar. I am giving the user a choice as to who they want the owner to be (I use a manual input node with the list of about 10 choices) - which has a line going to an interactive node for each possible choice. On the action line for each, I have an action that does a setvalue to set the owner field to the person chosen. Then the interactive node simply does a routewf and displays a confirmation.

Maybe it could be done better, but this is how I did it when I started with Maximo - I didn't know of another way! There may be, but I don't want my users to have to click the button again either.

I understand what you are saying.

We are currently using a Manual Input Node with 13 choices which then each go a separate Task Node to create the assignment (vs. an Interaction Node, but I like how you added the confirmation.)

It works for now, but my boss is considering that the list will grow well beyond 13 and be a mess for users to choose from.

It's a shame that the Interaction Node has this behavior, as it would allow the user to select from the full array of Person Groups to assign the ticket.
  • seb_ait
    seb_ait
    16 Posts

‏2009-07-15T14:12:43Z  
    I understand what you are saying.

We are currently using a Manual Input Node with 13 choices which then each go a separate Task Node to create the assignment (vs. an Interaction Node, but I like how you added the confirmation.)

It works for now, but my boss is considering that the list will grow well beyond 13 and be a mess for users to choose from.

It's a shame that the Interaction Node has this behavior, as it would allow the user to select from the full array of Person Groups to assign the ticket.
    Hi Shawnln,

I am facing the same issue, did you find a solution for it ?
    Thanks
    S.
  • spoirier
    spoirier
    283 Posts

‏2009-07-31T15:51:29Z  
    Hi Shawnln
    The select owner action should be the last step in your action sequence right? If the owner action is on the node just before the stop node , then you will not need to re-route the workflow as you will now only need to exit the record and you should not be stuck in the workflow.
  • hwal
    hwal
    5 Posts

‏2009-08-23T11:49:50Z  

Hi,
    2 years later;-)

We are running Maximo 7.1.1.5 and I need to setup a workflow for SR & incidents. I have the same problem.
    I want to exit from the interaction node (which leads to a stop node) with action=routewf (properties of arrow).

But I can't add this to the action table:
    action=ROUTEWF
    object=SR
    type=application action
    value=routewf

I only find the following WF values:
    WFACCEPT
    WFESCALATE
    WFINITIATE
    WFREJECT
  • Bette.Greene
    Bette.Greene
    1 Post

‏2010-09-27T23:12:22Z  
    bbradford wrote:
    I believe this behavior is working as designed. In effect you are choosing Select Action, Set Owner. I don't think the workflow can detect when this action is completed. In any event, I have run into the identical behavior, and noted similar complaints on this and the yahoo groups aac message board without any other resolution than to click on workflow button a second time. If you find out something different, please share it.

-Boyd

Many thanks to your description! Now I got it.
  • Wild_Child
    Wild_Child
    211 Posts

‏2010-09-29T18:11:45Z  
    bbradford wrote:
    I believe this behavior is working as designed. In effect you are choosing Select Action, Set Owner. I don't think the workflow can detect when this action is completed. In any event, I have run into the identical behavior, and noted similar complaints on this and the yahoo groups aac message board without any other resolution than to click on workflow button a second time. If you find out something different, please share it.

-Boyd

Many thanks to your description! Now I got it.
    Hi;

We extended the Owner and ownergroup bean classes to achieve this. When user selects an owner or an ownergroup workflow is routed automatically to the next step...

I can share code for Maximo 7.x if you want..

Have a good day...
  • Mik_Materna
    Mik_Materna
    19 Posts

‏2010-10-04T10:15:08Z  
    Hi;

We extended the Owner and ownergroup bean classes to achieve this. When user selects an owner or an ownergroup workflow is routed automatically to the next step...

Have a good day...
    Hi..

I've been struggling with this problem as well.
    I would like to see what you have done to the bean classes, if you could share your work :)

Thanks.

/Mikkel
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2010-10-13T11:52:02Z  
    Hi..

I've been struggling with this problem as well.
    I would like to see what you have done to the bean classes, if you could share your work :)

Thanks.

/Mikkel
    Hi All,

I faced the same dilemma as I wanted to 'Set Ownership' , 'Create Work Order' and 'Open Work Order Tab' with 1 interaction node in SR workflow.

'Create Work Order' is a standard action on Line.

'Open Work Order' was done in interaction node after 'Create Work Order' action.
    Interaction Node has 'Application = PLUSPWO' and 'Relation = newworkorder'

'Set Ownership' is a custom action on SR;
    Object = SR
    Type = SET VALUE
    Parameter/Attribute = OWNER
    Value = :&PERSONID&

where :&PERSONID& is the Person ID of the logged in user. You can replace it with :&USERNAME& if you want User ID.

BTW, the two line actions can be achieved by either grouping them in one action group OR by introducing a dummy condition node (:YES) and add the 2 line action before & after the dummy condition.
    Hope that helps.
    Voodoo.
  • amir_samir
    amir_samir
    158 Posts

‏2012-07-28T09:59:14Z  
    Hi;

Have a good day...
    Hi Wild Child,
    Can you share the code PLEASE ,

Amir
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2012-07-30T05:45:29Z  
    Hi Wild Child,
    Can you share the code PLEASE ,

Amir
    Hello;

Here is the code piece..

public int selectrecord()
    throws MXException, RemoteException
    {
    super.selectrecord();

DataBean ownerBean = this.app.getDataBean();
    if (ownerBean != null) {
    MboRemote mbo = ownerBean.getMbo();

WebClientSession wcs = this.clientSession;
    WorkflowDirector director = wcs.getWorkflowDirector();
    director.allowAutoInit();
    director.startInput(wcs.getCurrentAppId(), mbo, DirectorInput.workflow);
    }

return 1;
    }

Have a good day..
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    5842 Posts

‏2013-02-01T04:43:13Z  
    Hi shawin

i am new to Maximo Workflow.I am creating PO when my senior approve my PR status but i want to show myself a dialog box telling me that my po with {ponum} has been generated. please help me out.