• 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-04-17T10:30:04Z by dim_ath
dim_ath
dim_ath
5 Posts

Pinned topic workflow and programming languages

‏2008-04-05T17:27:48Z |
hi everyone!

i d like to create a workflow with websphere.
However i do not know if i can make my applications with languages such as php or jsp.
can i connect my applications through buildtime? or they need to be exes?
Updated on 2008-04-17T10:30:04Z at 2008-04-17T10:30:04Z by dim_ath
  • jmac_EmeriCon
    jmac_EmeriCon
    26 Posts

Re: workflow and programming languages

‏2008-04-05T18:18:18Z  
    Assuming you are just starting, you should not consider using the Fat Client, which generally requires executables. Today most WMQWF systems use a thin client (like the IBM supplied WebClient) and use java as the primary language, and jsp's.

Regards

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
  • dim_ath
    dim_ath
    5 Posts

‏2008-04-05T18:25:16Z  
    Assuming you are just starting, you should not consider using the Fat Client, which generally requires executables. Today most WMQWF systems use a thin client (like the IBM supplied WebClient) and use java as the primary language, and jsp's.

Regards

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
    does't buildtime (implementation) require executables in order to connect each program to an application?
  • jmac_EmeriCon
    jmac_EmeriCon
    26 Posts

‏2008-04-05T18:35:39Z  
    • dim_ath
    • ‏2008-04-05T18:25:16Z
    does't buildtime (implementation) require executables in order to connect each program to an application?
    OK, sorry, I did not give a more complete answer.

You are in fact correct that Buildtime Requires an Executable be specified in the Program Object. However, if you use the thin client (i.e. IBM Supplied WebClient for instance) you never actually execute the program. It is only the fat client that uses the executable, the thin client does not "start" a workitem, instead it uses checkout/checkin and this does NOT put the program into execution. For the most part, I always specify the IBM supplied program fmcnshow.exe on the Windows NT tab for all program objects which are used for activities that in the long run are implemented via a jsp.

Hope this is more helpful.

Regards

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
  • dim_ath
    dim_ath
    5 Posts

‏2008-04-05T18:49:09Z  
    OK, sorry, I did not give a more complete answer.

You are in fact correct that Buildtime Requires an Executable be specified in the Program Object. However, if you use the thin client (i.e. IBM Supplied WebClient for instance) you never actually execute the program. It is only the fat client that uses the executable, the thin client does not "start" a workitem, instead it uses checkout/checkin and this does NOT put the program into execution. For the most part, I always specify the IBM supplied program fmcnshow.exe on the Windows NT tab for all program objects which are used for activities that in the long run are implemented via a jsp.

Hope this is more helpful.

Regards

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC
    so if i can use jsp i can also use php too.
    what can i do with fmcnshow.exe? can you give me some details?

Thanks anyway!
  • jmac_EmeriCon
    jmac_EmeriCon
    26 Posts

‏2008-04-05T18:54:59Z  
    • dim_ath
    • ‏2008-04-05T18:49:09Z
    so if i can use jsp i can also use php too.
    what can i do with fmcnshow.exe? can you give me some details?

Thanks anyway!
    Well, the reason I use fmcnshow, is because I do all my testing locally in a stand alone environment. The use of fmcnshow, allows me to fire up the fat client and use this supplied program to inspect/set the containers should I have need to do so. From the perspective of my deployed final solution (in a THIN client environment), fmcnshow is a total NON-Player, yes, it is specified in the Program Object, but it is never used.

Good Luck.

Regards

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC

Message was edited by: jmac_EmeriCon
    Updated on 2008-04-05T18:54:59Z at 2008-04-05T18:54:59Z by jmac_EmeriCon
  • dim_ath
    dim_ath
    5 Posts

‏2008-04-17T10:30:04Z  
    Well, the reason I use fmcnshow, is because I do all my testing locally in a stand alone environment. The use of fmcnshow, allows me to fire up the fat client and use this supplied program to inspect/set the containers should I have need to do so. From the perspective of my deployed final solution (in a THIN client environment), fmcnshow is a total NON-Player, yes, it is specified in the Program Object, but it is never used.

Good Luck.

Regards

John McDonald

EmeriCon, LLC

Message was edited by: jmac_EmeriCon
    can i make a web interface and deploy the war archive to websphere?