3 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-04-09T16:27:36Z by rceron
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
104 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RedHat Linux on 9131-52A System p5

‏2008-04-04T14:03:13Z |
Hello there!

I'm a new member of this forum and i would like some help.

Well, i'm trying to install Linux Red Hat 4 U4 on a IBM Powerpc (intel 970) and i can't finish the installation successfully.

I downloaded the toolkit, installed it and followed all the procedures as the users manual says. I have no graphic enviroment, so i'm doing it in text mode.

I did all the configuration needed, but on the last step, when the system asks to put the RedHat media installation the error appears. It says that couldn't find the partition (that i tryed to do manually and automatically) and asks do reboot the machine (it didn't ask me to change any CD).

I continued reading the users manual and found that to install any RedHat distributions, 3 RPM packages were needed, but i tryed to install it with no success.

I would like to know if there are any redhat distribution to this kind of processor architechture, like application server, workstaion. And i would like some help to install those packages.

Please help!!! Lol...

Thanks anyway
Updated on 2008-04-09T16:27:36Z at 2008-04-09T16:27:36Z by rceron
  • rceron
    rceron
    41 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RedHat Linux on 9131-52A System p5

‏2008-04-07T13:04:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Dear Marcelo,

i'm trying to install Linux Red Hat 4 U4 on a IBM Powerpc (intel 970)

Is is a ppc or x86 machine you are trying to install rhel4-ppc onto? By the system type you sent on the thread, I'm assuming it is the new P6 (powerpc 970), is it correct?

If that's the case, you will never be able to install rhel4u4 onto it, because the distro levels supported on it are:

sles10 sp1 u1 or above
    rhel5 u1 or above
    rhel4 u6 or above

If you use the IBM Installation Toolkit and choose a supported Linux distro for installation, the toolkit will install all of the extra IBM packages you need to make things work.

Let me know if this helps. If not, keep writing posts here and I'll help.

Regards,
    Rodrigo Ceron
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    104 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-09T12:50:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Rodrigo,

Thanks for ur help. I'll try to install rhel5u1 and then i come here again.

My version of rhel is 5u1_x86_64ADM-intel-ws - workstation. I asked if there is any other distro, like AS - application server to be installed.

Well, i'll try with my distro. Thanks anyway.

bb
    • rceron
      rceron
      41 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-09T16:27:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi Marcelo!

You can't install a x86_64 system on a POWER architecture cause it was not built for POWER, it was built for intel.

The IBM Installation Toolkit will help you install Linux on POWER, but your Linux DVDs/CDs must be for POWER, not for intel.

If you do have an intel box with Linux and you'd like to migrate to POWER, you should use the Server Consolidation Tools found on the System Tools package on the IBM Installation Toolkit DVD. Please, have a look at chapter 12 "server consolidation tools" on page 85 of the user's guide PDF found in the DVD.

If you have questions, just post them here.

Regards,
      Rodrigo Ceron

Message was edited by: Rodrigo Ceron
      Updated on 2008-04-09T16:27:36Z at 2008-04-09T16:27:36Z by rceron