Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-04-07T18:46:52Z by ldubois
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
3129 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic .net data provider (IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries) - license needed to distribute?

‏2008-03-26T10:50:49Z |
We are currently testing connectivity between a test application written in visual studio using c# and our iseries using the .net data provider supplied with Client Access V5R3.
We will eventually need to get this working on our main server so I need to know do we need a license to use this dll and if so can someone point me in the right direction to get the information needed?
Also is it possible just to distribute the dll with the application or will we also need to install client access on the server?

Thanks
Updated on 2008-04-07T18:46:52Z at 2008-04-07T18:46:52Z by ldubois
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    3129 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: .net data provider (IBM.Data.DB2.iSeries) - license needed to distribute?

‏2008-04-02T23:30:14Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Will you be redistributing to other companies?

mark.parry@egg.com wrote:
    We are currently testing connectivity between a test application written in visual studio using c# and our iseries using the .net data provider supplied with Client Access V5R3.
    We will eventually need to get this working on our main server so I need to know do we need a license to use this dll and if so can someone point me in the right direction to get the information needed?
    Also is it possible just to distribute the dll with the application or will we also need to install client access on the server?

Thanks
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      3129 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-03T06:44:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      No, it will be for internal use only
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        3129 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-03T15:29:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I don't think there are any issues here - middleware portions of Client Access
        are not licensed. There's nothing that needs to be installed on the server.

You can actually install your clients from each server - map a network drive to
        the /QIBM/ProdData/ folder and you can find an install image.
        mark.parry@egg.com wrote:
        No, it will be for internal use only
        • ldubois
          ldubois
          122 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-07T18:46:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          To clarify Kent's response:
          Your original question asked whether it is possible to distribute just the .NET Provider DLL with the application and whether a license is required to use this. As Kent mentioned, there are no additional license requirements on the server to use the .NET data provider. Be aware that when you distribute your application to the PCs, you cannot distribute only the .NET DLL. You must install System i Access for Windows on the PC with the .NET component selected. .NET uses the System i Access for Windows base componentry for communications and national language services. When you go through selective install and select the .NET component, the other required components will be selected. You may consider building a tailored installation image that includes only the components you want included in your user's installation. For more information on building tailored images, refer to http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/i/software/access/windows/qnasilentinstall.html.