Topic
  • 21 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-03-18T10:40:59Z by ReemaJohn
CPM
CPM
25 Posts

Pinned topic WDF 6.1 Beta - Cognos Builder error

‏2008-03-21T15:07:06Z |
I've downloaded WDF 6.1 beta. I am trying to use the Cognos Data Access builder, but when I attempt to add this builder from the builder palette to a model, all I get is a blank builder (nothing displays) How can I get the Cognos builder to display, work?
Updated on 2009-03-18T10:40:59Z at 2009-03-18T10:40:59Z by ReemaJohn
  • wudongf
    wudongf
    289 Posts

Re: WDF 6.1 Beta - Cognos Builder error

‏2008-03-24T02:15:09Z  
    Can you post your screenshot here?

I've never seen a builder that is totally blank.

Usually, when something is wrong, there will be one exceptions box popped up, or some message shows that the class not found.
  • DGawron
    DGawron
    34 Posts

‏2008-03-24T04:06:57Z  
    Try restarting Eclipse after installing the Feature Set; sometimes Eclipse doesn't automatically pick up JAR additions to the environment.
    Updated on 2008-03-24T04:06:57Z at 2008-03-24T04:06:57Z by DGawron
  • CPM
    CPM
    25 Posts

‏2008-03-24T17:20:25Z  
    • wudongf
    • ‏2008-03-24T02:15:09Z
    Can you post your screenshot here?

I've never seen a builder that is totally blank.

Usually, when something is wrong, there will be one exceptions box popped up, or some message shows that the class not found.
    Here is the screenshot. And I have restarted Eclipse, refreshed the Feature set and ran -clean.

Attachments

• wudongf
    wudongf
    289 Posts

‏2008-03-25T09:58:11Z  
    • CPM
    • ‏2008-03-24T17:20:25Z
    Here is the screenshot. And I have restarted Eclipse, refreshed the Feature set and ran -clean.
    Please have a check with the following steps:
    Copy the following .jar files from the Cognos_install_dirctory\\c8\sdk\java\lib directory to the projectName/WebContent/WEB_INF/work/lib directory.
    cognos-axis.jar
    cognosClient.jar

Copy the following .jar files from the projectName/WebContent/WEB_INF/lib directory to the projectName/WebContent/WEB_INF/work/lib directory.
    jaxrpc-api.jar
    saaj-api.jar
  • CPM
    CPM
    25 Posts

‏2008-03-25T19:24:36Z  
    • wudongf
    • ‏2008-03-25T09:58:11Z
    Copy the following .jar files from the Cognos_install_dirctory\\c8\sdk\java\lib directory to the projectName/WebContent/WEB_INF/work/lib directory.
    cognos-axis.jar
    cognosClient.jar

Copy the following .jar files from the projectName/WebContent/WEB_INF/lib directory to the projectName/WebContent/WEB_INF/work/lib directory.
    jaxrpc-api.jar
    saaj-api.jar
    This did the trick, I can now see the builder. I haven't tested it though as I still need to set the properties file. Thanks!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2008-05-15T15:53:43Z  
    • wudongf
    • ‏2008-03-25T09:58:11Z
    cognos-axis.jar
    cognosClient.jar

jaxrpc-api.jar
    saaj-api.jar
    Hi,

installing WDF 6.1 and Cognos I have problems to get a connection to Cognos because of the missing jar cognos-axis.jar. We do have axisCognosClient.jar but it seems that this jar does not contain the missing class org.apache.axis.client.Service

any ideas how I can get this jar?

kind regards
    Can
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2008-05-16T02:32:12Z  
    Hi,

installing WDF 6.1 and Cognos I have problems to get a connection to Cognos because of the missing jar cognos-axis.jar. We do have axisCognosClient.jar but it seems that this jar does not contain the missing class org.apache.axis.client.Service

any ideas how I can get this jar?

kind regards
    Can
    Hi canuenal,

I have no idea where you find the axisCognosClient.jar file. But the two jar files, cognos-axis.jar and axisCognosClient.jar, should be in the same directory.

Once you have installed the Cognos SDK, you could be able to find all the jar files under this folder ==> <Cognos Installation Dir>\c8\sdk\java\lib

And the cognos-axis.jar and axisCognosClient.jar should be also in that folder.
    If you can not find the <Cognos Installation Dir>\c8\sdk directory on your Cognos machine, you may need to firstly install the Cognos SDK.
  • mahendra.ph
    mahendra.ph
    1 Post

‏2008-09-04T08:44:17Z  
    Hi canuenal,

I have no idea where you find the axisCognosClient.jar file. But the two jar files, cognos-axis.jar and axisCognosClient.jar, should be in the same directory.

Once you have installed the Cognos SDK, you could be able to find all the jar files under this folder ==> <Cognos Installation Dir>\c8\sdk\java\lib

And the cognos-axis.jar and axisCognosClient.jar should be also in that folder.
    If you can not find the <Cognos Installation Dir>\c8\sdk directory on your Cognos machine, you may need to firstly install the Cognos SDK.
    I have installed Cognos 8 trial version. But i cant see sdk folder under Cognos_install_dirctory\\c8 directory.
    i want cognos-axis.jar and cognosClient.jar files.On searching Cognos_install_dirctory also i didnt get these files. Where else can i get these jar files? Please help me.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2008-09-08T06:01:04Z  
    I have installed Cognos 8 trial version. But i cant see sdk folder under Cognos_install_dirctory\\c8 directory.
    i want cognos-axis.jar and cognosClient.jar files.On searching Cognos_install_dirctory also i didnt get these files. Where else can i get these jar files? Please help me.
    I think you probably have not installed the cognos SDK, which is required for you to get the privilege to access the cognos via it.
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-02-19T06:39:10Z  
    I think you probably have not installed the cognos SDK, which is required for you to get the privilege to access the cognos via it.
    Hi

I am having a problem with coonecting to Cognos v8.4.
    I am using the Cognos Data Access Builder which is part of the Dashboard Framework.
    I have modified the properties file with the cognos url.
    CognosURL=http://sapbt324.sapbts.de.ibm.com:9080/p2pd/servlet/dispatch

However when I test the conection I get an error.Please find attached the error file
    Please help me with this.

Thanks.
    Reema
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2009-02-19T09:19:36Z  
    • ReemaJohn
    • ‏2009-02-19T06:39:10Z
    Hi

I am using the Cognos Data Access Builder which is part of the Dashboard Framework.

However when I test the conection I get an error.Please find attached the error file

Thanks.
    Reema
    Hi, pls make sure your namespace, username and password are correctly specified.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2009-02-20T07:34:39Z  
    • ReemaJohn
    • ‏2009-02-19T06:39:10Z
    Hi

Thanks.
    Reema
    Hi,
    I think you're connecting to a Cognos server which enables Anonymous access to it. It is the "logon" action that results in the exception. Cognos Data Access builder would always try "logon" action, which is obviously not needed in your scenario, so it's a defect. Please open a PMR on this issue. Thanks!

btw. If you want to access the Cognos server, try setting up the Cognos environment with namespace, userid and password. That would definitely work.
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-02-20T09:59:46Z  
    Hi,
    I think you're connecting to a Cognos server which enables Anonymous access to it. It is the "logon" action that results in the exception. Cognos Data Access builder would always try "logon" action, which is obviously not needed in your scenario, so it's a defect. Please open a PMR on this issue. Thanks!

btw. If you want to access the Cognos server, try setting up the Cognos environment with namespace, userid and password. That would definitely work.
    Hi ,

Thanks a million for your inputs.That was really important.
    Yes we are using a remote cognos server which has Anonymous access enabled.
    Hence we did not provide a User Name / pwd and Namespace.

Couuld you please tell me how to configure the userid/pwd and namespace for a cognos server.I am planing to try and install the same on my local system.

Also how do I raise a PMR?

Thanks
    Reema.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2009-02-20T10:09:24Z  
    • ReemaJohn
    • ‏2009-02-20T09:59:46Z
    Hi ,

Thanks a million for your inputs.That was really important.
    Yes we are using a remote cognos server which has Anonymous access enabled.
    Hence we did not provide a User Name / pwd and Namespace.

Couuld you please tell me how to configure the userid/pwd and namespace for a cognos server.I am planing to try and install the same on my local system.

Also how do I raise a PMR?

Thanks
    Reema.
    Open the "IBM Cognos Configuration", and right click the "Security->Authentication", select "New Resource -> Namespace".

There are several types for you to select, a common-used one is NTLM, which uses OS user registry.

See the snapshot for a clear view :)

As the PMR, I think you'd contact WDF L1.
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-02-23T09:52:06Z  
    Open the "IBM Cognos Configuration", and right click the "Security->Authentication", select "New Resource -> Namespace".

There are several types for you to select, a common-used one is NTLM, which uses OS user registry.

Hi ,

I tried with the username and password.The connection workded fine.
    Thanks a lot.

I have another query:
    I wanted to know if the following are possible with WDF after retrieving the reports using the cognos Data Access Builder:

1.)Emailing the Report obtained from Cognos Data Access Builder
    2.)Launch of Tools (like query Studio, Report Studio, Analyst Studio, Event Manager)
    3.)Setting personalization preferences that Cognos supports e.g. Cognos Screen, portal and Label language and Report Content Lanaguage, User Prefered currency etc.
    4.) Be able to create Report Views for Adhoc and standard reports with personalized prompt settings for future execution (The user can open a report, set the prompt values, output preference e.g. PDF, EXCEL, Schedule, emails etc. save the report link in own "My folders" for future use)
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-02-23T10:48:57Z  

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for your help.I used a username and pwd and it connected

I have another query.
    I want to know if its possible to (after retrieveing the reports using Cognos Data Access Builder):

1.)Launch Tools (LIKE Query Studio, Report Studio, Analyst Studio, Event Manager)using WDF?

2.)Setting background execution of reports and / or emailing the output of reports

3.)Creating an adhoc report in Query Studio, save it and be able to see the report name in the folder portlet immediately for execution or further administration

4.)Setting personalization preferences that Cognos supports e.g. Cognos Screen, portal and Label language and Report Content Lanaguage, User Prefered currency etc.

5.)Be able to create Report Views for Adhoc and standard reports with personalized prompt settings for future execution (The user can open a report, set the prompt values, output preference e.g. PDF, EXCEL, Schedule, emails etc. save the report link in own "My folders" for future use)

Thanks
    Reema,
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2009-02-24T04:18:03Z  
    • ReemaJohn
    • ‏2009-02-23T10:48:57Z
    Hi ,

Thanks a lot for your help.I used a username and pwd and it connected

I have another query.
    I want to know if its possible to (after retrieveing the reports using Cognos Data Access Builder):

1.)Launch Tools (LIKE Query Studio, Report Studio, Analyst Studio, Event Manager)using WDF?

2.)Setting background execution of reports and / or emailing the output of reports

3.)Creating an adhoc report in Query Studio, save it and be able to see the report name in the folder portlet immediately for execution or further administration

4.)Setting personalization preferences that Cognos supports e.g. Cognos Screen, portal and Label language and Report Content Lanaguage, User Prefered currency etc.

5.)Be able to create Report Views for Adhoc and standard reports with personalized prompt settings for future execution (The user can open a report, set the prompt values, output preference e.g. PDF, EXCEL, Schedule, emails etc. save the report link in own "My folders" for future use)

Thanks
    Reema,
    Hi,
    The features you queried are Cognos specified features. WDF Cognos Data Access Delegate builder is designed to get report data from Cognos, and present them in the Portal.
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-03-17T09:50:31Z  
    Hi,
    The features you queried are Cognos specified features. WDF Cognos Data Access Delegate builder is designed to get report data from Cognos, and present them in the Portal.
    Hi ,

I am able to connect to Cognos and fetch the reports from there and display on WPS.I used the Cognos Data Access Buider and Automatic Drill down Builder.
    I have hardcoded the username / password of the cognos server in the Default Properties file.I need to do this dynamically and not hard code any values in the Default Properties file.

I must have a login page in the Portlet.This username/password has to be picked up from here and then fed to the Default Properties file.Could you please tell me how i could send the values to the Default Properties file dynamically??

Thanks,
    Reema.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    801 Posts

‏2009-03-17T10:03:49Z  
    • ReemaJohn
    • ‏2009-03-17T09:50:31Z
    Hi ,

I am able to connect to Cognos and fetch the reports from there and display on WPS.I used the Cognos Data Access Buider and Automatic Drill down Builder.
    I have hardcoded the username / password of the cognos server in the Default Properties file.I need to do this dynamically and not hard code any values in the Default Properties file.

I must have a login page in the Portlet.This username/password has to be picked up from here and then fed to the Default Properties file.Could you please tell me how i could send the values to the Default Properties file dynamically??

Thanks,
    Reema.
    Hi,
    I remember that there is overwrite section in the bottom of the Cognos builder, in which you can specify username and password from variables. May this help.
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-03-17T10:53:42Z  
    Hi,
    I remember that there is overwrite section in the bottom of the Cognos builder, in which you can specify username and password from variables. May this help.
    Hi ,

Thank you for your reply.I checked that option in the Cognos Data Access Builder under the Coonection overide Section.It does not allow any variables to be used.It wants the username/password as the input.
    Waht can be done?please help me.
    I have attached a section of that.

Thanks,
    Reema.
  • ReemaJohn
    ReemaJohn
    7 Posts

‏2009-03-18T10:40:59Z  
    • ReemaJohn
    • ‏2009-03-17T10:53:42Z
    Hi ,

Thank you for your reply.I checked that option in the Cognos Data Access Builder under the Coonection overide Section.It does not allow any variables to be used.It wants the username/password as the input.
    Waht can be done?please help me.
    I have attached a section of that.

Thanks,
    Reema.
    Hi ,

I am able to provide the UserName and Password Dynamiccaly.There was an option in the Cognos Data Access Builder.(Specify Execution Credentials.) and used variables as you had suggested.

Now i want to do a validation for Valid User id and thorw an error meesage on the page.

If the Userid/pwd is wrong then the connection to Cognos fails and it throws an Excpetion .I have attached the Excpetion .Now i want to handle this Excpetion.I tried using the Error Handler Builder.However I am unable to handle this.

Could u please help me.

Thanks
    Reema.

Attachments