Topic
  • 6 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-03-28T12:30:15Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
101 Posts

Pinned topic Can I DO this with JES2 (or anything?)...

‏2008-03-20T19:42:33Z |
First, I am a plain ol' programmer. I know JCL and a bit of JES. So, if you have some thoughts or advice for me, please talk 'simple' :-). Now, the issue. My team is on call for jobs that run over night. Of course, as it should be, when a critical Job abends we get paged and deal with it. However, there are several jobs that run to successful eoj but, depending on info in the JOB output, may require urgent attention. So, the question is, is there a way, immediately after a Job runs, to invoke a 'parser' job to look for specific messages in the JES log for that JOB? If there's anything else I can tell you, please ask. THANKS, Jeff.
Updated on 2008-03-28T12:30:15Z at 2008-03-28T12:30:15Z by SystemAdmin
  • PedroV
    PedroV
    15 Posts

Re: Can I DO this with JES2 (or anything?)...

‏2008-03-20T22:51:17Z  
    I did something similar. I used another batch job running rexx that:

1. submits the job
    2. captures job number from submit
    3. uses batch SDSF to list job status.
    4. when job completes, uses SDSF held output display to copy to a file.
    5. reads the file and examines each record.

Message was edited by: PedroV
    Updated on 2008-03-20T22:51:17Z at 2008-03-20T22:51:17Z by PedroV
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2008-03-21T12:22:44Z  
    Wow... that's cool. Batch SDSF, being a 'plain' programmer I didn't even know there was such a thing. The Jobs I have to monitor by checking their JES Logs are submitted by CA-7. They are part of our '"BIG" big company system' so I'm sure it would be too big of a 'thing' to implement all the changes to do all this via some marriage of CA-7, REXX and JCL. Hummm... so follow-up problem/question... any clue how to grab the JOB number from a CA-7 submitted JOB? If I can do that, then just maybe I could use the SDSF Batch interface to get to its JES Log. This would be SOOOO neat (especially when I DON'T get paged a 2 in the morning just to log in and see, oh... that's nothing).

Pedro... I'm not sure how much of this I'd be able to use, it I'd find it very interesting if you could post a sample of some of the code? Maybe you could show me the part of the batch job that invokes the REXX (I understand that part, but haven't seen code that does that) and the REXX code itself.

THANK YOU PedroV!
    Jeff
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2008-03-22T04:59:51Z  
    You can check CA-7 manuals whether it can capture and evaluate logged msg. If it can not, you can try a CBT freeware file 770. But you need to code a simple rexx program.

Instead of parsing logged msg, is it possible to identify which jobstep should produce what CC to trigger its successors? Unfortunately CA-7 does not support jobstep-level triggering (workload pipelining). But, you can use that freeware by coding a simple rexx program. Even easier than parsing logged msg. Hope this help.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2008-03-22T05:05:12Z  
    You can check CA-7 manuals whether it can capture and evaluate logged msg. If it can not, you can try a CBT freeware file 770. But you need to code a simple rexx program.

Instead of parsing logged msg, is it possible to identify which jobstep should produce what CC to trigger its successors? Unfortunately CA-7 does not support jobstep-level triggering (workload pipelining). But, you can use that freeware by coding a simple rexx program. Even easier than parsing logged msg. Hope this help.

Fyi: zJOS/Puspa (scheduler) supports all scheduling cases including yours. You can prove it.
  • PedroV
    PedroV
    15 Posts

‏2008-03-24T22:52:54Z  
    Wow... that's cool. Batch SDSF, being a 'plain' programmer I didn't even know there was such a thing. The Jobs I have to monitor by checking their JES Logs are submitted by CA-7. They are part of our '"BIG" big company system' so I'm sure it would be too big of a 'thing' to implement all the changes to do all this via some marriage of CA-7, REXX and JCL. Hummm... so follow-up problem/question... any clue how to grab the JOB number from a CA-7 submitted JOB? If I can do that, then just maybe I could use the SDSF Batch interface to get to its JES Log. This would be SOOOO neat (especially when I DON'T get paged a 2 in the morning just to log in and see, oh... that's nothing).

Pedro... I'm not sure how much of this I'd be able to use, it I'd find it very interesting if you could post a sample of some of the code? Maybe you could show me the part of the batch job that invokes the REXX (I understand that part, but haven't seen code that does that) and the REXX code itself.

THANK YOU PedroV!
    Jeff
    I have attached an example. Sorry, but it is not a complete example. The file contains:

1. JCL to call rexx
    2. sample program that calls SDSF to get job status
    3. sample rexx to get job output

What is missing is the logic to submit a job and save the job number.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2008-03-28T12:30:15Z  
    THANKs All...

I'm being slammed at work so I haven't been able to get back here to look at this and reply. But I wanted to say thanks, and I'll be back next week to have a close look at what you've written.

:-)... Thanks :-).
    Jeff