Topic
2 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-03-13T23:30:48Z by strosake
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
63 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IBM P5 and Fedora

‏2008-02-29T04:00:36Z |
I am having a very hard time installing Fedora 8 for Power PC on IBM P5. I thought that IBM would be testing Fedora on P5. It looks like that they did not do that.

Why IBM has to make it so hard to install Linux on their box?

I am getting all kinds of errors?

Can someone give me a documentation on how to install FEDORA on IBM P5. I do not want to pay for RED HAT Updates.
Updated on 2008-03-13T23:30:48Z at 2008-03-13T23:30:48Z by strosake
  • strosake
    strosake
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM P5 and Fedora

‏2008-03-13T23:20:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I apologize for the delayed response; I used to get e-mail notifications when new messages were posted to this forum, and didn't realize that the messages had stopped being delivered. I am subscribing to the RSS feed to ensure that I don't miss any other posts.

We do not generally test Fedora on Power systems. As I'm sure you're aware, there are quite a few viable Linux distributions, and it's impractical to rigorously test each of them. When it comes to the kernel, toolchain, etc., the focus is on ensuring that the upstream code base is of a high quality, so that all distributions will be receiving defect-free code when they pull from the community sources. But the installation and configuration tools vary between the distributions, so the testing is focused on ensuring quality RHEL and SLES products.

Having said that, Fedora is fast becoming the vehicle for delivering new features in RHEL. As such, there is now more focus on installing Fedora on Power systems, so I would expect that you would have better luck with Fedora 9 or 10.
    • strosake
      strosake
      15 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IBM P5 and Fedora

‏2008-03-13T23:30:48Z  in response to strosake
      I forgot to mention; what are the specific errors you are seeing during the Fedora installation? I can see if there is anyone here who has run into similar issues. Though it's not run through the same testing process that RHEL is, there are a number of folks who install Fedora on Power systems.

In terms of documentation, I don't know of anything Power-specific beyond the standard Fedora docs at http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f8/en_US/.

Thanks,
      Mike Strosaker