• 5 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-03-28T19:53:11Z by SystemAdmin
evandras
evandras
4 Posts

Pinned topic z/OS log trace etc. import

‏2008-02-25T16:57:18Z |
Hi

I'm in searching for a tool to analyse and evaluate the z/OS log , trace, SMF etc. files, and
I found in the WebSphere Developer for System Z the various log trace samples.
It is fine, but the log views in my current versions are not very nice and most of them are not very usefull in the current form.

My questions:
  • Exist somewhere something better adapter/formatter ?
  • I would like to write some adapter or converter for exsisting GTF, SMF etc output to the Common Base Event format,
where can I start ?
(as I'm not very experienced in Java I would prefer a C++ API)
Updated on 2008-03-28T19:53:11Z at 2008-03-28T19:53:11Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    549 Posts

Re: z/OS log trace etc. import

‏2008-02-27T12:06:27Z  
    I am not sure how old is ur WebSphere Developer or the adapters. You may try the BTM Toolkit, which might have a newer version:
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/autonomic/btmpd/

You may either use the "Log and Trace Analyzer, GLA, and Eclipse" for an eclipse environment or "Log and Trace Analyzer for Java Desktop" if you want a java swing application. But note that Log and Trace Analyzer for Java Desktop doesn't support remote import of log files thru RAC (but instead u can use a URL to access remote logs).

You may also try the ISA (IBM Support Assistant), it also ships the LTA tool (This forum supports only BTM Toolkit)
    http://www-306.ibm.com/software/support/isa/

Regarding creating a new one... you have two options:
    1) Static Adapter - you have to write a java class with the parsing logic (faster performance)
    2) Rules Adapter - the parse logic is written as regular expressions (slower, but easy)

Check these articles on creating a rules-based adapter:
    http://help.eclipse.org/help31/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.tptp.monitoring.doc.user/tasks/tcreatingregexadapter.html
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/autonomic/library/ac-glarules1/

Adapters are readily available for z/OS System trace, z/OS System log(SYSLOG), z/OS QHST log, z/OS master trace, z/OS Logrec, z/OS Joblog, z/OS JES DLOG, z/OS GTF trace, z/OS Component trace, DB2/WAS on Z/OS etc...
  • evandras
    evandras
    4 Posts

‏2008-02-27T13:19:08Z  
    Hi

Thank you very much

If you can point , where can I find some samples ( or get the source code)
    for the z/OS static adapters.
    I have seen the z/OS adapters, but in the current form they are not very
    interseting for an MVS System Programmer
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    549 Posts

‏2008-02-29T09:38:20Z  
    • evandras
    • ‏2008-02-27T13:19:08Z
    Hi

Thank you very much

If you can point , where can I find some samples ( or get the source code)
    for the z/OS static adapters.
    I have seen the z/OS adapters, but in the current form they are not very
    interseting for an MVS System Programmer
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/autonomic/btmpd/

If you install the "Log and Trace Analyzer, GLA, and Eclipse" from above link, and go to the GLA runtime (BuildToManageTKPD\ACLT_GLA\config\zOS) or LTA (BuildToManageTKPD\ACLT_GLA\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.etools.logging.parsers_7.0.0.v200610270946\config\zOS) you can find the respective adapters I mentioned in last post. Example logs are also available at above location. But the source is not available to the public. The JES log uses a rules adapter (regex.adapter).

Would like to know more about you, how you would like to use it and what are you expecting differently. You may mail to actkit at in.ibm.com.
  • evandras
    evandras
    4 Posts

‏2008-03-26T13:38:14Z  
    Hi

I'm now so far with my adapter:

ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2008-03-26 14:18:28.129
    !MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Importing log file...".
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.hyades.logging.parsers.internal.importer.LocalLogImportLoader.setParserLogger(LocalLogImportLoader.java:99)
    at org.eclipse.tptp.monitoring.logui.internal.wizards.ImportLogWizard$LocalLogImportJob.runOnLocalHost(ImportLogWizard.java:1478)
    at org.eclipse.tptp.monitoring.logui.internal.wizards.ImportLogWizard$LocalLogImportJob.run(ImportLogWizard.java:1469)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:58)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    549 Posts

‏2008-03-28T19:53:11Z  
    • evandras
    • ‏2008-03-26T13:38:14Z
    Hi

I'm now so far with my adapter:

ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 4 2 2008-03-26 14:18:28.129
    !MESSAGE An internal error occurred during: "Importing log file...".
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.eclipse.hyades.logging.parsers.internal.importer.LocalLogImportLoader.setParserLogger(LocalLogImportLoader.java:99)
    at org.eclipse.tptp.monitoring.logui.internal.wizards.ImportLogWizard$LocalLogImportJob.runOnLocalHost(ImportLogWizard.java:1478)
    at org.eclipse.tptp.monitoring.logui.internal.wizards.ImportLogWizard$LocalLogImportJob.run(ImportLogWizard.java:1469)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:58)
    Is this the only error in the log? None of the records are imported?