15 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-03-05T08:29:22Z by GMG@IBM
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
14225 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic IWAE0023E Unable to open module file

‏2008-02-21T19:12:16Z |
Hello,

In RAD 7.0.0.5, I have an EAR project and a WAR project. The WAR project is specified as a J2EE Dependent Module of the EAR project.

When I try to deploy the EAR project to the local WebSphere 6.1 instance, I get the following error message:

Publish failed with errors, warnings or both. Please see server logs for more details.
Application Failed to Start. XyzEAR
Exception thrown in RequiredModelMBean while trying to invoke operation startApplication
Exception thrown in RequiredModelMBean while trying to invoke operation startApplication
Please see server logs for more details.

The stack trace in the console/logs are:

2/21/08 13:58:55:531 EST 00000013 ApplicationMg E WSVR0100W: An error occurred initializing, XyzEAR
org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.exception.NoModuleFileException: A file does not exist for module element having uri: XyzWeb.war
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.impl.ModuleRefImpl.checkType(ModuleRefImpl.java:490)
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.impl.ModuleRefImpl.initModuleFileFromEAR(ModuleRefImpl.java:127)
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.impl.ModuleRefImpl.getModuleFile(ModuleRefImpl.java:105)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.isOpen(DeployedModuleImpl.java:222)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.close(DeployedModuleImpl.java:277)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.initialize(DeployedModuleImpl.java:435)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.initializeModule(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:1084)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.initialize(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:527)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.initialize(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:327)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.initializeApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:445)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:1454)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:615)
at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:62)
at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor18.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:265)
at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invokeMethod(RequiredModelMBean.java:1089)
at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invoke(RequiredModelMBean.java:971)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.DynamicMetaDataImpl.invoke(DynamicMetaDataImpl.java:231)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MetaDataImpl.invoke(MetaDataImpl.java:238)
at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:833)
at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:802)
at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl$1.run(AdminServiceImpl.java:1057)
at com.ibm.ws.security.util.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:118)
at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.invoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:950)
at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.AdminServiceDelegator.invoke(AdminServiceDelegator.java:139)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnector.invoke(SOAPConnector.java:338)
at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnector.service(SOAPConnector.java:206)
at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.soap.SOAPConnection.handleRequest(SOAPConnection.java:55)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.readAndHandleRequest(HttpConnection.java:680)
at com.ibm.ws.http.HttpConnection.run(HttpConnection.java:484)
at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1510)

We've been looking at the .project, META-INF/application.xml and .settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component files but everything looks in order. Can anyone shed some insight into what RAD/WAS is looking for? I'm assuming it's going to use the project files in my workspace directly - but how is it determining dependent projects?

Thanks,
Andy
Updated on 2011-06-29T01:40:11Z at 2011-06-29T01:40:11Z by Packiaraj
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: IWAE0023E Unable to open module file

‏2008-02-21T21:39:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Some additional info: looking in my ...\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.wst.server.core\tmp1\ directory, I find an incomplete set of files from my XyzWar project. My WEB-INF folder is there but no web.xml (or any other file). It looks like all of my child folders are created and are partially populated, but not completely.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      14225 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-02-28T16:26:57Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Same problem here. I've gone into http://localhost:9060/admin, uninstalled all EARs, stopped the server, removed and re-added the projects to the server in RAD, and get the same error. I even deleted and re-created the server in RAD, re-added the project, and get the same error. It's looking for the WAR, claiming it's not there. Did a clean/build-all, too. WTF?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        14225 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-02-28T17:26:43Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        No definitive answers yet but I did eventually get the thing working.

Factors I found relevant include:

1. Server Publishing settings: whether the server runs with resources within the workspace or whether it runs with resources on the Server.
        2. If you are running with the resources in the workspace, you don't want to change anything using the admin console. I used the admin console to define resources, but not to deploy applications

When I was confident that my workspace changes were being published to my local server instance, I found that the "Unable to open module file" error was intermittent - that it came up when I deployed my app using the admin console but RAD was also trying to synch the local server with my workspace. When I allowed RAD to handle all the publishing and synch'ing, I didn't encounter the error anymore. I suspect it was also related to other things in my workspace stabilizing, but hopefully it might help clear things up for you.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-13T20:04:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I am experiencing the same problem. By reading this thread It looks like it goes away by doing "something". The problem is that we all dont know what that "something" is. If anyone reading this has solved the problem please post it here!

Thanks.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      14225 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-09-25T17:40:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hi,

I had the same problem. but
      1.I have uninstalled the project from admin console and stoped the server.
      2.Added the project and Started the server its works for me.

Thanks,-Midhila
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        14225 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-11-04T07:17:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I have been facing this problem since yesterday.
        None of the solutions suggested above worked for me. Taking a clue from ayang's suggestion. I went to c:/program files/IBM/SDP70/runtimes/base61 and searched for all the folders with the name of the web application war file (XYZ.war).
        Then I opened each .war folder and copied WEB-INF folders(taken from my workspace project) into each one of them (there were around 6 -7 folders with that name). After this I restarted my server and the service started properly!
        Thanks,
        Praveen
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-01-23T15:08:23Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello guys, I was facing the same problem and I discovered that an old (and incompleted) version of my ear file was in a temporary directory in the server (and discovered this just removing my project from the server configuration and seing that the problem was still there). During the start, the server was getting that version instead of my new one.

In order to solve this problem, I removed my ear file through "add and remove projects..." button (right-click in the server config). Then I opened C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01\temp\<your-machine>\server1 and removed my ear directory. After I restarted my server to see if the problem continue persisting and it was working. Finally, I stopped the server and added my project again (through "add and remove projects...") and started the server. That's it.

Good luck :-p
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-04-20T13:55:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    As application got migrated to RAD7.0.0.2,i get the following exception
    An error occurred initializing, xyz
    org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.exception.NoModuleFileException: A file does not exist for module element having uri: xyz.war
    at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.impl.ModuleRefImpl.checkType(ModuleRefImpl.java:490)
    at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.impl.ModuleRefImpl.initModuleFileFromEAR(ModuleRefImpl.java:127)
    at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.impl.ModuleRefImpl.getModuleFile(ModuleRefImpl.java:105)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.isOpen(DeployedModuleImpl.java:222)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.close(DeployedModuleImpl.java:277)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedModuleImpl.initialize(DeployedModuleImpl.java:435)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.initializeModule(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:1084)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.initialize(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:527)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.DeployedApplicationImpl.initialize(DeployedApplicationImpl.java:327)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.initializeApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:445)
    at com.ibm.ws.runtime.component.ApplicationMgrImpl.startApplication(ApplicationMgrImpl.java:1454)
    at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.invoke(MethodUtil.java:62)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor20.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.invoke(MethodUtil.java:265)
    at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invokeMethod(RequiredModelMBean.java:1089)
    at javax.management.modelmbean.RequiredModelMBean.invoke(RequiredModelMBean.java:971)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.DynamicMetaDataImpl.invoke(DynamicMetaDataImpl.java:231)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MetaDataImpl.invoke(MetaDataImpl.java:238)
    at com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:833)
    at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:802)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl$1.run(AdminServiceImpl.java:1057)
    at com.ibm.ws.security.util.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:118)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.AdminServiceImpl.invoke(AdminServiceImpl.java:950)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.AdminServiceDelegator.invoke(AdminServiceDelegator.java:139)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.rmi.RMIConnectorService.invoke(RMIConnectorService.java:179)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.rmi._RMIConnectorService_Tie.invoke(_RMIConnectorService_Tie.java:395)
    at com.ibm.ws.management.connector.rmi._RMIConnectorService_Tie._invoke(_RMIConnectorService_Tie.java:160)
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ServerDelegate.dispatchInvokeHandler(ServerDelegate.java:613)
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ServerDelegate.dispatch(ServerDelegate.java:466)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.ORB.process(ORB.java:503)
    at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.process(ORB.java:1552)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.Connection.respondTo(Connection.java:2673)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.Connection.doWork(Connection.java:2551)
    at com.ibm.rmi.iiop.WorkUnitImpl.doWork(WorkUnitImpl.java:62)
    at com.ibm.ejs.oa.pool.PooledThread.run(ThreadPool.java:95)
    at com.ibm.ws.util.ThreadPool$Worker.run(ThreadPool.java:1510)
    I tried what all are specified above but here is no use.
    could any one help on this.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    14225 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-08-06T21:13:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I had the same problem...

Then
    1. I uninstalled the project from admin console and stopped the server from the Servers view
    2. I removed the project from the Servers view
    3. I added the project by right-clicking on the server from the Servers view then selected 'Add and Remove projects...'

Then it worked.
  • radscad
    radscad
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-02T19:16:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Using RAD 7.0, I have a somewhat more complicated project in which I am using the Voice tool Kit VTK6.1.0 plugins. I was developing just fine and did nothing exceptional when I saw that message EWAE0023E unable to open the war file. There are three other messages that follow. I opened the Admin Console > Applications > Enterprise Applications and it display any apps that are installed. click the check box of your app and delete (Uninstall) the app. exit there and start the server. It does work BUT I worked a little more on the project and it happened again. this time Nothing I did helped. I've tried many things after that and still can not resolve this issue.
    • radscad
      radscad
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-11-03T17:44:26Z  in response to radscad
      A continuation of my previous submittal. Think Refactor > rename. Has anyone renamed anything in their projects? In the project EAR folder open each folder in the META-INF > ibmconfig > cells > defaultcell > applications > defaultApp > deployments > defaultapp > and deployment.xml. It mentions a URI = and the Name of your WAR file. Verify the spelling. If that's correct then go back to the project web content > WEB-INF > web.xml file and open it. Some dont have a web.xml file. You can create one and inser your project name in it. there's an application ID field specified but this must be researched further.

If developers want to create another workspace, you can. just use FILE on the upper left and click on switch workspace. enter a new workspace name. the app closes then opens again using the new workspace. If you want to copy your project exactly as is with all the settings and variables, to another workspace, you can. Before you switch to new workspace then right click on your project > Export > Other > Project Interchange. Creates a .ZIP file on your C drive. Then do the above creating a new workspace. When the tool opens again, you click on file > Import > Other > Project Interchange. Browse your C drive where you created the .ZIP file and click on project and EAR files > Finish. With your new copy of the project you can experiment without risking anything.
  • Packiaraj
    Packiaraj
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-06-29T01:40:11Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    The origin of this problem is with ".settings/org.eclipse.wst.common.component" under EAR folder of the project. This file would be missing details of the project war. Below is the sample information that would be missing and hence causing all the problem.

<dependent-module deploy-path="/" handle="module:/resource/ABC/ABC">
    <dependent-object>WebModule_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</dependent-object>
    <dependency-type>uses</dependency-type>
    </dependent-module>
    where ABC is project context information and XXXXXXXXXX is numberic id that you can get it from application.xml. You can mail me to packiarajv@gmail.com, if you need any assistance regarding this.
    • GMG@IBM
      GMG@IBM
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-03-05T08:29:22Z  in response to Packiaraj

This is the perfect solution. Thank you..

• nzcoder
    nzcoder
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-04-23T02:32:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin

I had this exact same problem (it said it cannot find a .war file which was clearly in the EAR application I was trying to deploy), and none of the above suggestions fixed it.

The solution I found was to clear both the temp directory and the wstemp directory of the server profile.

For example in the directory:

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\<App Server Profile Name> 

So if I was using the profile called "AppSrvWSFP01" the directory would be 

C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrvWSFP01

I deleted the wstemp and temp directorties after stopping the server, and then started the server and installed the EAR file and it worked. Actually I think it was deleting the wstemp directory that fixed the problem. 

First delete the application from the server (uninstall it) and then stop the server, and if you are doing this on Windows 7 you need to run Windows Exporer as administrartor.

Oh, also, you need to run RAD as administrator also if you want it to be able to create log files correctly as it tries to put this in the /logs directory of the above profile path.

The problem is that somehow Websphere is caching an old version of your EAR file and not actually deploying the latest version of it as it should do. Worked for me to just delete the temp dirs as above.

Hope this helps someone avoid the pain I experienced trying to fix this!

Updated on 2013-04-23T02:48:48Z at 2013-04-23T02:48:48Z by nzcoder
  • STHV_Fabio_Marano
    STHV_Fabio_Marano
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-06-11T14:34:00Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi I've the same problem : Websphere 7 is unable to open modules configured in the ear's application.xml. 

it says: 

wtp           E org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.commonarchivecore.internal.strategy.LoadStrategyImpl openNestedArchive(String) An error occurred while opening a nested archive: IWAE0023E Unable to open module file "MEV_Domain-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar" in EAR file "C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v7\profiles\AppSrv01\wstemp\0\upload\MavenJee-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.ear"

Hope someone can help me on this long issue.