• 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-02-11T22:19:41Z by SystemAdmin
michael-t
michael-t
28 Posts

Pinned topic Are "interactive" nodes in LL also able to submit LL jobs

‏2008-01-29T17:40:18Z |
Hello,

we have a 40 node 1600 cluster (all 575s with Power5+ at 1.9GHz and 32GB DRAM)

We currently have designated 2 of the 40 nodes as "submit only" with the intention that are used for interactive user sessions to develop code and submit jobs.

Can we ALSO let these two submit_only nodes process "interactive" POE jobs? That is, we would like to be able to use them to BOTH develop code and submit LL batch jobs, AND also let them process interactive POE jobs.

I was thinking that the changes below may do the trick (f1n1 and f1n10 are the two "submit_only" 575 nodes):

In LoadL_admin:

f1n1.: type = machine
adapter_stanzas = HYDRA.tamu.edu f1n1-s1 f1n1 f1n1-s f1n1-s0

alias = HYDRA.tamu.edu f1n1-s f1n1
## submit_only = true
machine_mode = interactive ## or machine_mode = general
resources = .... consumable
max.... = # if needed
schedd_host = false
central_manager = false

Similar for f1n10,

and specify on f1n1's and f1n10's LoadL_config.local

Class = inter_class (N) ## tasks for interactive class
MAX_STARTERS = N

Again we want to be able to BOTH submit LL jobs from these two nodes AND aldo let them process "interactive" POE jobs (via the poe command)

thanks in advance for any hint
Michael

Message was edited by: michael-t

Message was edited by: michael-t
Updated on 2008-02-11T22:19:41Z at 2008-02-11T22:19:41Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    46 Posts

Re: Are "interactive" nodes in LL also able to submit LL jobs

‏2008-02-04T19:58:16Z  
    Michael, is this issue resolved?
  • michael-t
    michael-t
    28 Posts

‏2008-02-04T22:14:48Z  
    Michael, is this issue resolved?
    I've received a positive reply on the steps I proposed to modify the config files. I have not implemented this yet, as we are working on other more pressing issues.

Are the modifications I posted OK? Or do you see any unforeseen issue?

thanks for checking.

Michael
  • HPC_Central
    HPC_Central
    8 Posts

‏2008-02-04T22:30:15Z  
    I have sent your information to a senior developer in LL. He will further assist you if changes needed.

raval
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    46 Posts

‏2008-02-05T15:41:04Z  
    • michael-t
    • ‏2008-02-04T22:14:48Z
    I've received a positive reply on the steps I proposed to modify the config files. I have not implemented this yet, as we are working on other more pressing issues.

Are the modifications I posted OK? Or do you see any unforeseen issue?

thanks for checking.

Michael
    Hi Michael,

The modfiication looks ok to me.
    Indeed, you don't need 'submit_only = true' specified for those two nodes. 'Submit_only node' means the node is not installed with LoadLeveler daemon binary and no LL daemon is running on the node.
    That is not the case here, as you want the interactive POE jobs to be started by LoadLeveler to run on the two nodes.
    Regards,
    Waiman
  • michael-t
    michael-t
    28 Posts

‏2008-02-08T20:32:37Z  
    I have sent your information to a senior developer in LL. He will further assist you if changes needed.

raval
    Raval, thanks for checking back with me .... I have received support under PMR 10212,004,000 which is Q/A and is still open,

I will be asking some clarifications about how to best use "ffinity" settings for POE or hybrid POE/OMP jobs running on our cluster.

take care

Michael
  • michael-t
    michael-t
    28 Posts

‏2008-02-08T20:40:47Z  
    Hi Michael,

The modfiication looks ok to me.
    Indeed, you don't need 'submit_only = true' specified for those two nodes. 'Submit_only node' means the node is not installed with LoadLeveler daemon binary and no LL daemon is running on the node.
    That is not the case here, as you want the interactive POE jobs to be started by LoadLeveler to run on the two nodes.
    Regards,
    Waiman
    Hi "waiman", thanks for checking with me. I have implemented the changes and now the standard "inter_class" works for us.

Am I correct to think that LL cannot select on its own which nodes to use for interactive poe runs (ie, poe -resd yes), unless one specifies a pool # or a host list file? I thought that LL could match up the interactive poe run with the nodes which can run the inter_class as designated by their LoadL_config.local file.

I've received help through PMR 10212,400,000 which I will be using to pose further questions for issues such as how to best leverage affinity on POE/hybrid POE_OMP jobs in our cluster

I was also wondering if there is a new release of LL planned and if SMT is taken care of differently or with more controls therein.

best regards,
    Michael
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    46 Posts

‏2008-02-11T22:19:41Z  
    • michael-t
    • ‏2008-02-08T20:40:47Z
    Hi "waiman", thanks for checking with me. I have implemented the changes and now the standard "inter_class" works for us.

Am I correct to think that LL cannot select on its own which nodes to use for interactive poe runs (ie, poe -resd yes), unless one specifies a pool # or a host list file? I thought that LL could match up the interactive poe run with the nodes which can run the inter_class as designated by their LoadL_config.local file.

I've received help through PMR 10212,400,000 which I will be using to pose further questions for issues such as how to best leverage affinity on POE/hybrid POE_OMP jobs in our cluster

I was also wondering if there is a new release of LL planned and if SMT is taken care of differently or with more controls therein.

best regards,
    Michael
    Hi Michael,

LoadLeveler selects nodes for interactive jobs, in a similar way as it does for batch. You define in the local config files how many initiators ('inter_class' in your case) are available for interactive jobs on the nodes. LL will schedule new jobs to run only on the nodes where there are still free initiators available.

Some new enhancement for SMT support was made available last year in the LL 3.4.2 release. More information can be obtained from the README in the following web site :

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clresctr/vxrx/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.cluster.loadl.doc/llbooks.html
    Regards,
    Waiman