Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2008-03-13T23:42:02Z by strosake
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
63 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Partitioning with DLPAR of dual core Processor.

‏2008-01-23T16:36:34Z |
Hi all,

I have a question about the partitioning with DLPAR. Can I partition using DLPAR as well as dual-core processors, the single core processor? so I can use only a core of the dual-core processor (P5).

Thanks a lot.
V.
Updated on 2008-03-13T23:42:02Z at 2008-03-13T23:42:02Z by strosake
  • strosake
    strosake
    15 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Partitioning with DLPAR of dual core Processor.

‏2008-03-13T23:42:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hello:

I apologize for the delayed response; I used to get e-mail notifications when new messages were posted to this forum, and didn't realize that the messages had stopped being delivered. I am subscribing to the RSS feed to ensure that I don't miss any other posts.

When partitioning, all of the computing capacity of all of the processors is available for use. If you have a 2 processor POWER5 system, for example, you could create up to 20 partitions (each with 10 units of entitled capacity, where 100 units = 1 full processor). When any of those partition is executing, if it has SMT enabled, it is able to use both of the execution threads on the processor that it is using (SMT is usually enabled by default). Even if you move entitled processing capacity around between partitions using DLPAR, a partition is capable of using both execution threads of any processor on which it is running.

Hopefully that answers your question. Please let me know if it doesn't, or if you need more detail.

Thanks,
    Mike Strosaker