Topic
No replies
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
783 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Development tooling story with XD Compute Grid

‏2008-01-22T21:46:47Z |

Over the last 6 months or so, the development has put together quite a few new tools and packages to ease the development of XD Compute Grid applications. The attached .ppt, supported by the following posts and descriptions, highlights the available tools:

1. The Batch Datastream (BDS) Framework. This is a development toolkit that implements the Compute Grid interfaces for accessing common input and output sources such as files, databases, and so on. The following post goes into more details. BDS Framework will be delivered and supported in the 6.1.0.3 PTF, but in the meantime you can download it at: BDS Framework Download

2. a Pojo-based application development model. As of XD 6.1, you only have to write Pojo-based business logic. Tooling executed during the deployment process will generate the necessary Compute Grid artifacts to run your application. The following developerworks article goes into more details: Intro to Batch Programming with WebSphere XD Compute Grid

3. The Batch Simulator. A light-weight, non-J2EE batch runtime that exercises the Compute Grid programming model. This runs in any standard Java development environment like Eclipse, and facilitates simpler application development since you're only dealing with Pojo's and no middleware runtime. The Batch Simulator is really for developing and testing your business logic. Once your business logic is sound, you would execute function tests, system tests, and then deploy to production. This will be officially supported in 6.1.0.3 and beyond. You can download this from batch simulator download

4. The Batch Packager. This utility generates the necessary artifacts for deploying your Pojo-based business logic into the Compute Grid runtime. The packager is a script that can be integrated into the deployment process of your application. It can also be run independently of the WebSphere runtime, so you don't need any heavy-weight installs in your development environment. The following http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/message.jspa?messageID=14071820&tstart=0 provides an example for how to use the batch packager. This is now officially supported.

5. The Unit-test environment (UTE). The UTE package is described in the following post. The UTE runs your batch application in a single WebSphere server that has the Compute Grid runtime installed. It's important to function-test your applications in the UTE to ensure that it behaves as expected when transactions are applied. This is now officially supported.

[b][i]Note[/i][/b]: [u][i][b]There is now a pre-built Eclipse workspace that contains the BDS Framework, the Batch Simulator, and some commented samples.[/b][/i][/u] This workspace is a more consumable package that will help you get started quickly. You can read more about this at: http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=210834&tstart=0

Message was edited by: Snehal Antani
Updated on 2008-06-24T15:37:20Z at 2008-06-24T15:37:20Z by SystemAdmin