Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-05-16T14:51:14Z by DonCarr
queequeg
queequeg
250 Posts

Pinned topic Having trouble connecting to the dW online trials environment?

‏2008-01-14T18:31:27Z |
I put this forum together to try to assist those of you who want to use the developerWorks online trial environment to evaluate IBM software, but have run into a problem.

Normally connecting should be trouble free, but there are a number of possible reasons why some users cannot connect. So please let me know what the problem is (post as much detail as you can) and I will see if I provide you with a fix.

The list of products that use the online trial can be found: Available online trials

Steve Luyendyk -- Online trials butcher, baker and connection-maker

Message was edited by: queequeg

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    329 Posts

Re: Having trouble connecting to the dW online trials environment?

‏2008-01-19T01:21:20Z  
    I am trying to use the online trial version of Clear Quest. I installed Citrix as instructed. When I try to launch the English version (icon), I get this message:

Cannot Connect to the Citrix MetaFrame Server. There is no route to the specified subnet address.
  • queequeg
    queequeg
    250 Posts

‏2008-01-21T15:49:36Z  
    I am trying to use the online trial version of Clear Quest. I installed Citrix as instructed. When I try to launch the English version (icon), I get this message:

Cannot Connect to the Citrix MetaFrame Server. There is no route to the specified subnet address.
    Hello Watzamatoni,

I'm sorry you have had trouble connecting to our offer.

For this error
    Error: Cannot connect to the Citrix MetaFrame Server. There is no route to the specified subnet address.

I have found two pieces of support information that should asssist you in connecting.

Article: http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX106531

Forum: http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=70&thre adID=64291&tstart=0

Please let me know if this helps you.

Steve Luyendyk -- dW Online trials head groundskeeper

• mcoble
    mcoble
    2 Posts

‏2012-05-03T11:37:16Z  
    Hello

I am trying to use the Websphere Operational Dec Mgmt online trial and encounter the errors attached. I have tried multiple times. I have it as an application to use in my sandbox and it does start to connect via citrix but then says connection is interrupted.

It seems the 4 hour countdown for use has already started, so if I do get this issue resolved do you know if I will have then lost my trial access? If so how do I request a new one?

Thanks
    Mark
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    329 Posts

‏2012-05-03T13:14:41Z  
    • mcoble
    • ‏2012-05-03T11:37:16Z
    Hello

I am trying to use the Websphere Operational Dec Mgmt online trial and encounter the errors attached. I have tried multiple times. I have it as an application to use in my sandbox and it does start to connect via citrix but then says connection is interrupted.

It seems the 4 hour countdown for use has already started, so if I do get this issue resolved do you know if I will have then lost my trial access? If so how do I request a new one?

Thanks
    Mark
    Hi Mark,

Sometimes the session gets locked when network connectivity is lost. Please close all active windows, and then shut down your browser normally. If your cache is note cleared automatically, please clear your cache.

We have utilities that monitor session active. When sessions are dormant for more than twenty minutes, our utility refreshes the session. Given the fact that twenty minutes has passed since you first posted, when you register for a new session, you should be able to connect normally and restart the exercise. Unfortunately, you will need to start from the beginning, as once the session is assigned, we have no means of saving work. All sessions get recycled at the end of the four-hour trial, or after twenty minutes of inactivity.

The refreshing of your browser should clear your issue. You should have no trouble logging back in after your session has expired. You can log in for as many sessions as you like.

Robin Langford
    developerWorks evaluation software
  • DonCarr
    DonCarr
    45 Posts

‏2012-05-03T13:39:04Z  
    Hi Mark,

Sometimes the session gets locked when network connectivity is lost. Please close all active windows, and then shut down your browser normally. If your cache is note cleared automatically, please clear your cache.

We have utilities that monitor session active. When sessions are dormant for more than twenty minutes, our utility refreshes the session. Given the fact that twenty minutes has passed since you first posted, when you register for a new session, you should be able to connect normally and restart the exercise. Unfortunately, you will need to start from the beginning, as once the session is assigned, we have no means of saving work. All sessions get recycled at the end of the four-hour trial, or after twenty minutes of inactivity.

The refreshing of your browser should clear your issue. You should have no trouble logging back in after your session has expired. You can log in for as many sessions as you like.

Robin Langford
    developerWorks evaluation software
    Hello Mark,

In addition to what Robin recommended, can you provide the URL details (copy / paste) from your open MetaFrame window should you still fail to start the exercise? There are links to the specific image assigned to you that I can reset manually if needed to clear your 4-hour clock.

Also, can you tell us something of the system (i.e. OS, Browser, etc.) you are using to connect to the SOA Sandbox?
  • mcoble
    mcoble
    2 Posts

‏2012-05-16T14:21:14Z  
    • DonCarr
    • ‏2012-05-03T13:39:04Z
    Hello Mark,

In addition to what Robin recommended, can you provide the URL details (copy / paste) from your open MetaFrame window should you still fail to start the exercise? There are links to the specific image assigned to you that I can reset manually if needed to clear your 4-hour clock.

Also, can you tell us something of the system (i.e. OS, Browser, etc.) you are using to connect to the SOA Sandbox?
    Hello guys

Thanks for the responses. I was waiting for an email notification to response, which I just noticed in my junk mail. Anyway still not having luck. I am trying this from work and have recently had to switch computers. I now get

"A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time." when trying to connect to

http://198.81.193.170:10090/Citrix/MetaFrame/default/login.aspx

I will try the suggestions made earlier from my home computer. I had tried before and was encountering a different problem where it kept prompting me for a user name/password.

Mark
  • DonCarr
    DonCarr
    45 Posts

‏2012-05-16T14:51:14Z  
    • mcoble
    • ‏2012-05-16T14:21:14Z
    Hello guys

Thanks for the responses. I was waiting for an email notification to response, which I just noticed in my junk mail. Anyway still not having luck. I am trying this from work and have recently had to switch computers. I now get

"A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out"
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time." when trying to connect to

I will try the suggestions made earlier from my home computer. I had tried before and was encountering a different problem where it kept prompting me for a user name/password.

Mark
    Hello,

We suspect your corporate firewall may be blocking outgoing connections to our image. What HW / SW are you using to connect from work and @ home?

The fact that you were able to connect from home originally is a good sign. Of late, our resource manager has been acting up and not recycling images correctly. The poorly recycled images did not get the proper sign-on creds, hence some users were prompted to enter userid / PW.

We've fixed this issue, so you should be able to connect from home without further problems, assuming no new "ghosts" enter our machines ; - )

That said, how long along were you assigned the following?

We have a application that recycle unused images after 30 minutes of inactivity. If the time has been more than 1 hour, we will not need to manually recycle this image.

Regards,
    Don