7 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-28T06:53:19Z by prince1709
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
13279 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Director -Broadcast relay Agent

‏2008-01-08T16:03:27Z |
Hi,

We have our Blade Centers in our office that we can quite easily maintain and control from director 5.20.

We have many different clients all over that we need to manage their blade centers but I read that you can use a broadcast relay agent where you add a single machine from the remote clients side to our Director and then you can request the client to do a broadcast and report back all the the machines it has found?

If this is not the case how do i manage all our remote clients what do i need to do ?

Also we have a cisco firewall router and both our site and the clients site.
Updated on 2008-01-17T09:25:27Z at 2008-01-17T09:25:27Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Director -Broadcast relay Agent

‏2008-01-09T13:52:53Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can configure Level-2 Agent discovery to use a relay agent like you described. However you will not be able to discover the BC chassis' or Level-1 agents that way... you'll have to add them manually.

-

Paul Engel
    The Indiana Jones of IBM Director.
    • prince1709
      prince1709
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-28T06:53:19Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi can i check how do you do this manually?

• SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    13279 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-10T10:22:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Ok so it will only work with level 2 agents. What is the best practice method of being able to control all of our clients servers from our office? I have seen posts about people doing it but i do not know how they do it.

We have a Cisco firewall at our office and 99% of our clients also have the same or a similiar product so what is the best way to do this?

I have managed to add a single Server as a test but that was using NAT on the clients side.

Thank You
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      13279 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-15T11:43:09Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      nobody knows?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13279 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-16T09:45:33Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        To allow a Director server to talk to an agent behind a firewall you must open specific ports. For the agent only this is tcp/udp 14247 and tcp 14248.
        There are other ports you need to open to talk to the RSA II or for software distribution or RDM etc.
        These are detailed in the documentation.

Rehards, Graham.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        13279 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-16T15:26:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        The Install Guide lists all the ports used for the different types of objects an IBM Director Server can manage. Since these different objects have different communications needs, you need to setup discovery for each type separately. Since there is no agent for Level 0 objects or Physical Platforms they cannot be discovered by relay but have to be discovered by the server directly.
        -

Paul Engel
        The Indiana Jones of IBM Director.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          13279 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-17T09:25:27Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Yea i understand that ports on the firewall need to opened etc. There is a Cisco Firewall at the other end and our works IP addresses is permitted anywhere so I would not need to allow ports because it sums it all up in one command.

I have put in a NAT Translation rule on the cisco to point at 1 single server. I cant do 1 global IP for each server because its wasteful. How do I get the IBM Director in our office to search the rest of the domain or how do I add the rest of the servers?