• Latest Post - ‏2008-07-29T13:54:44Z by Haresh_Kainth_UK
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
10114 Posts

Pinned topic Installing FC7 on PS3

‏2007-12-20T21:18:47Z |
Hi everyone,

The install instructions for Fedora Core 7 on the PS3 have moved:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/powerarchitecture?entry=ibomb_ps3_sdk30_fc7

This thread will be used for discussion, updates, etc. on that article.

Thanks!
-- Jason

Message was edited by: Jason_Dale
Updated on 2008-07-29T13:54:44Z at 2008-07-29T13:54:44Z by Haresh_Kainth_UK
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

Re: Installing FC7 on PS3

‏2007-12-27T21:51:25Z  
    Hello Jason,

did you notice there is a new addon version from:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/

now it's 20071220 version 1.5.1 rather than 1.4.1 (this seems to take care of the firmware changes introduced in 2.10)

kernel source is now linux-2.6.23-20071219, is the LVM patch still needed?

spotted a minor typo in the instructions... initrd-2.6.3.img is created but initrd-2.6.3-rc3.img is used later on.

many thanks,
    andrea

Message was edited by: aBarbieri

Message was edited by: aBarbieri
    Updated on 2007-12-27T21:51:25Z at 2007-12-27T21:51:25Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-10T22:09:57Z  
    I'm also interested in an answer to this question, may you answer please?
    Thank you.
    Guillaume

Message was edited by: guillaume.pierron

Updated on 2008-01-10T22:09:57Z at 2008-01-10T22:09:57Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-11T23:14:07Z  
    I'm also interested in an answer to this question, may you answer please?
    Thank you.
    Guillaume

I just did a fresh system install with the 20071220 version of the Addon CD, and it seems that the LVM step (step 8) is still needed. I built the kernel and modules without it, and it couldn't boot.

I also fixed the typo that Andrea pointed out regarding initrd-2.6.3.img

I am trying to figure out the best way to keep the instructions up to date. If I edit the original post the reflect the most current information, then the comments that follow won't make sense. If I start a new thread with every update then there will be several versions of the instructions out there, which could get confusing.

One option is to turn this into an article on developerWorks, and use this thread to keep people posted as to updates of the main article.

I'll keep you posted.

--Jason
    Updated on 2008-01-11T23:14:07Z at 2008-01-11T23:14:07Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-13T17:49:17Z  
    I just did a fresh system install with the 20071220 version of the Addon CD, and it seems that the LVM step (step 8) is still needed. I built the kernel and modules without it, and it couldn't boot.

I also fixed the typo that Andrea pointed out regarding initrd-2.6.3.img

I am trying to figure out the best way to keep the instructions up to date. If I edit the original post the reflect the most current information, then the comments that follow won't make sense. If I start a new thread with every update then there will be several versions of the instructions out there, which could get confusing.

One option is to turn this into an article on developerWorks, and use this thread to keep people posted as to updates of the main article.

I'll keep you posted.

--Jason
    I had to use the 12/20 addon disc to get the system to even boot.
    In step 10 the last command doesn't work unless I do not include "-rc3".
    It appears to have worked

For sure keep updating the above guide. After it is stable for awhile maybe produce an article on it.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-15T23:15:35Z  
    I had to use the 12/20 addon disc to get the system to even boot.
    In step 10 the last command doesn't work unless I do not include "-rc3".
    It appears to have worked

For sure keep updating the above guide. After it is stable for awhile maybe produce an article on it.
    I made the -rc3 fix you pointed out, and also moved the instructions to a seperate developerWorks article. I think that will be the best way to keep it updated.

Like I said before, I did most of this work on a 20GB machine (no wifi), and ssh into it, so things like the graphics, wifi, and sound aren't used. If anyone knows of any issues, please feel free to bring them up, and I'll try to address them.

Thanks,
    --Jason
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-16T21:58:49Z  
    I made the -rc3 fix you pointed out, and also moved the instructions to a seperate developerWorks article. I think that will be the best way to keep it updated.

Like I said before, I did most of this work on a 20GB machine (no wifi), and ssh into it, so things like the graphics, wifi, and sound aren't used. If anyone knows of any issues, please feel free to bring them up, and I'll try to address them.

Thanks,
    --Jason
    Hello Jason,

the current version of your install guide is very thorough now.

For people wanting to use the HugeTLB filesystem the article from the cell performace web site (the third link mentioned at the bottom) is also a very useful.

It also seems that FC8 would be a feasable (not supported) alternative if it wasn't for these two known issues:

It would be also nice to come up with a guide to slim down the services and the actual kernel to maximise the size of the memory available to the user... YellowDogLinux claims it can make available up to 192MB to the user.

cheers,
    andrea
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-17T15:58:32Z  
    Hello Jason,

the current version of your install guide is very thorough now.

For people wanting to use the HugeTLB filesystem the article from the cell performace web site (the third link mentioned at the bottom) is also a very useful.

It also seems that FC8 would be a feasable (not supported) alternative if it wasn't for these two known issues:

It would be also nice to come up with a guide to slim down the services and the actual kernel to maximise the size of the memory available to the user... YellowDogLinux claims it can make available up to 192MB to the user.

cheers,
    andrea
    Andrea,
    The known issues both appear to have work arounds, so if someone wrote up a guide that used the work arounds I would think FC8 would work.

Jason,
    Thanks for the guide; it was very helpful since I'm new to all this.

Some comments: I think that if you partition your disk the way the gnuradio page suggests (ie. without LVM) you won't need to install the updated lvm package and won't need to recompile the kernel. Also, it seems that "make install" for dtc will install it into $(HOME)/bin/, which is probably not where you want it to go. I got around this by running "HOME=/usr make install" so that it gets put into /usr/bin.

One thing I wasn't sure about was whether or not all of these steps should be run as root. Some of them say to run them as root and others don't so I wasn't sure. I ended up running them all as root; hopefully that won't cause permissions problems later on.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-01-17T16:34:56Z  
    Andrea,
    The known issues both appear to have work arounds, so if someone wrote up a guide that used the work arounds I would think FC8 would work.

Jason,
    Thanks for the guide; it was very helpful since I'm new to all this.

Some comments: I think that if you partition your disk the way the gnuradio page suggests (ie. without LVM) you won't need to install the updated lvm package and won't need to recompile the kernel. Also, it seems that "make install" for dtc will install it into $(HOME)/bin/, which is probably not where you want it to go. I got around this by running "HOME=/usr make install" so that it gets put into /usr/bin.

One thing I wasn't sure about was whether or not all of these steps should be run as root. Some of them say to run them as root and others don't so I wasn't sure. I ended up running them all as root; hopefully that won't cause permissions problems later on.
    Hello Jeshua,

the URLs I have provided contain already details of work arounds, so it is not an unsurmountable problem. one just needs to be aware of them.

for the latter it is possible to specify root=/dev/ps3da1 at the kboot prompt (and yaboot.conf)
    this is a very useful place to check for the Linux Kernel on PS3
    https://ozlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/cbe-oss-dev
    Updated on 2008-01-17T16:34:56Z at 2008-01-17T16:34:56Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-02T11:02:30Z  
    Hello,

just hot from the press :)

new kboot and CELL-Linux-CL Addon from Geoff, now at version 1.6.

more details here:
    http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2008-February/004070.html

in practice ... kernel version 2.6.24

cheers,
    andrea
  • maturin
    maturin
    43 Posts

‏2008-02-03T20:14:23Z  
    Does this fix the problems with PS3 firmware update 2.10? After I updated the firmware on my console, the PS3 wasn't able to send output to my monitor.

So I bought another PS3 and installed Linux without a problem. But when I try to start Linux, the console won't display data. And holding in the power button doesn't help either--it's completely non-responsive.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-04T11:47:19Z  
    • maturin
    • ‏2008-02-03T20:14:23Z
    Does this fix the problems with PS3 firmware update 2.10? After I updated the firmware on my console, the PS3 wasn't able to send output to my monitor.

So I bought another PS3 and installed Linux without a problem. But when I try to start Linux, the console won't display data. And holding in the power button doesn't help either--it's completely non-responsive.
    Does this fix the problems with PS3 firmware update 2.10? After I updated the firmware > on my console, the PS3 wasn't able to send output to my monitor.
    that was initially fixed with v1.5.1 (20071220, kernel 2.6.23)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-04T16:09:11Z  
    • maturin
    • ‏2008-02-03T20:14:23Z

maturin wrote:

Do you mean the PS3 running the GameOS wasn't able to send output, or Linux running on the PS3 wasn't able to send output?

Holding the power button it's completely non-responsive? If the PS3 is running and you hold the power button down for 10 seconds, the PS3 should beep, the power light should start flashing, and eventually it should turn off (ie. power light turns red). None of this happens? If the PS3 is off, touching the power button doesn't make it beep and turn the PS3 on? If the PS3 is off, holding the power button down for more than 10 seconds doesn't cause it to beep a second time and boot the GameOS?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-05T16:16:49Z  
    Hello,

just hot from the press :)

new kboot and CELL-Linux-CL Addon from Geoff, now at version 1.6.

more details here:
    http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2008-February/004070.html

in practice ... kernel version 2.6.24

cheers,
    andrea
    Great - thanks for the update, Andrea!

I'm revising the how-to to include this new update.

Also, I think I'm going to change the instructions so that LVM isn't used by default. Originally I wanted to keep the system as close to a default FC7 install as possible, but a friend of mine who was following these instructions hit a wall when the site that hosts the LVM patch became inaccessible for a day.

I'm currently installing a system with the new 20080201 add-on and no LVM. I'll use it for a day or so to make sure it's ok, and then post a new guide.

Does anyone think it's worth keeping the current (LVM based) guide around? Is there any specific scenerio where a non-LVM based install wouldn't be acceptible?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-07T21:32:08Z  
    Great - thanks for the update, Andrea!

I'm revising the how-to to include this new update.

Also, I think I'm going to change the instructions so that LVM isn't used by default. Originally I wanted to keep the system as close to a default FC7 install as possible, but a friend of mine who was following these instructions hit a wall when the site that hosts the LVM patch became inaccessible for a day.

I'm currently installing a system with the new 20080201 add-on and no LVM. I'll use it for a day or so to make sure it's ok, and then post a new guide.

Does anyone think it's worth keeping the current (LVM based) guide around? Is there any specific scenerio where a non-LVM based install wouldn't be acceptible?
    Hello Jason,

I admit... I found very simple the process of keeping the default anaconda (Fedora 7) disk partitioning even though it requires to install the LVM rpm package later on (also when using SDTV it's better not to have to make too many screen based changes given the very poor screen resolution!)

what would be ideal on the other hand is to provide a Fedora 8 installation guide and the two known workarounds.

it appears that the CELL SDK 3.0 copes with F8 as per this thread:
    http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2008-January/003809.html

and given that Fedora 9 is just few months away.... better be ready.

the new stable kernel (2.6.24) also provides improved native support for the Gelic wireless interface.

btw... did you get my PM on how to make/install the compressed kernel image (bzImage)... ~7MB rather than 45MB a big saving for the /boot partition.

cheers,
    andrea
    Updated on 2008-02-07T21:32:08Z at 2008-02-07T21:32:08Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-11T19:16:47Z  
    The bootloader on the Addon CD in this set of instructions does not seem to allow booting back into GameOS.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-11T19:54:03Z  
    The bootloader on the Addon CD in this set of instructions does not seem to allow booting back into GameOS.
    What trouble are you having with it? I'm able to boot back into the GameOS just fine with the bootloader from the 20071220 release of the Addons CD.

I haven't tried the latest (20080201) release, but judging from the release notes it looks like the command may have changed from "boot-game-os" to "ps3-boot-game-os".
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-12T15:54:11Z  
    Hello Jason,

I admit... I found very simple the process of keeping the default anaconda (Fedora 7) disk partitioning even though it requires to install the LVM rpm package later on (also when using SDTV it's better not to have to make too many screen based changes given the very poor screen resolution!)

what would be ideal on the other hand is to provide a Fedora 8 installation guide and the two known workarounds.

it appears that the CELL SDK 3.0 copes with F8 as per this thread:
    http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/cbe-oss-dev/2008-January/003809.html

and given that Fedora 9 is just few months away.... better be ready.

the new stable kernel (2.6.24) also provides improved native support for the Gelic wireless interface.

btw... did you get my PM on how to make/install the compressed kernel image (bzImage)... ~7MB rather than 45MB a big saving for the /boot partition.

cheers,
    andrea
    Yes, I did an install without LVM and it seems fine, but since the install instructions are basically the same as the ones from the Gnuradio link that is referenced at the end of the infobomb, it doesn't make sense to repeat them all here.

As a side note, if anyone tries to do a yum update, it looks like the PS3-specific version of wpa_supplicant on the 20080201 add-on CD is confusing to yum. Try this if you want to do a full update:

yum update -x kernel* -x wpa_supplicant
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-02-13T17:07:32Z  
    Yes, I did an install without LVM and it seems fine, but since the install instructions are basically the same as the ones from the Gnuradio link that is referenced at the end of the infobomb, it doesn't make sense to repeat them all here.

As a side note, if anyone tries to do a yum update, it looks like the PS3-specific version of wpa_supplicant on the 20080201 add-on CD is confusing to yum. Try this if you want to do a full update:

yum update -x kernel* -x wpa_supplicant
    in my /etc/yum.conf I use the following permanent exclude options:
    exclude=kernel kernel-headers blas blas-devel

"kernel kernel-headers" because of the ad-hoc Cell kernel
    "blas blas-devel" because I have the IBM Cell SDK 3.0 installed

at the moment I didn't need to exclude wpa_supplicant but thanks for the head-up
  • MikeNY
    MikeNY
    1 Post

‏2008-05-12T01:13:35Z  
    in my /etc/yum.conf I use the following permanent exclude options:
    exclude=kernel kernel-headers blas blas-devel

"kernel kernel-headers" because of the ad-hoc Cell kernel
    "blas blas-devel" because I have the IBM Cell SDK 3.0 installed

at the moment I didn't need to exclude wpa_supplicant but thanks for the head-up
    I'm trying to get FC7 on a PS3. I've hit a stone wall on the lvm patch. Every attempt to get it fails. (http://david.woodhou.se/lvm2-2.02.24-1.fc7.ps3.ppc.rpm) Is there another location available, or a newer installation procedure? Thanks.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-05-12T14:55:02Z  
    • MikeNY
    • ‏2008-05-12T01:13:35Z
    I'm trying to get FC7 on a PS3. I've hit a stone wall on the lvm patch. Every attempt to get it fails. (http://david.woodhou.se/lvm2-2.02.24-1.fc7.ps3.ppc.rpm) Is there another location available, or a newer installation procedure? Thanks.
    Take a look at the GNURadio instructions (http://www.gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/PS3FC7Install?format=txt) to see how to partition without LVM. That way you won't need the LVM patch.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    10114 Posts

‏2008-06-23T15:33:52Z  
    Hi,

I've recently installed FC7 using Geoff Levand's recent Cell Utilities CD. I did this without any direct internet connection to the PS3.

Here's a short rundown:

1) Update the system to whatever Sony let's you download. Use the Storage Media option if you don't have an internet connection. http://www.playstation.com/

2) Install the boot loader from Sony employee and Linux developer Geoff Levand's most current CD iso image, available here:
    http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-distro-kit/

3) At the kboot prompt: Insert the Fedora 7 PPC DVD and type the 2 magic words:
    linux64 text
    and hit enter.

4) Install from CDROM, you will need to enable the ps3_storage module since FC7 can't autodetect the drive model in the PS3.

Fabulous, now you will have a working installation of a nearly EOL'd Fedora Core!

Yay!

Now if only I could install the Cell SDK 3.0 without an internet connection...

-Rich
    PS the code markup doesn't work.
    http://nutation.net/blog
    my username at usc.edu, gmail.com, or chevron.com (summer 2008 only) will get to me in email form.

Message was edited by: rseymour
    Updated on 2008-06-23T15:33:52Z at 2008-06-23T15:33:52Z by SystemAdmin
  • Haresh_Kainth_UK
    Haresh_Kainth_UK
    7 Posts

‏2008-07-29T13:54:44Z  
    Ive followed the instructions and everything seems to be fine (using FC7 & CELL-Linux-CL_20071220-ADDON.iso) but then i have this problem, once logged into FC7 either normal user or root, after i try to load an application or try to open the system monitor application, fedora just logs me out, im then presented with the login screen.

Ive done two installations on two PS3's, i followed the instructions carefully, double checking everything.

I must be doing something wrong. Im becoming a bit frustrated with this issue, any ideas anybody?

I tried to update the system (not kernel updates), but it wont install due to error, i cant tell you the error message, because when i try to read the error message fedora logs me out!