Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2008-10-20T07:59:03Z by aleks.dworak
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
1130 Posts

Pinned topic Loop Combined Fragment on Sequence Diagram

‏2007-12-17T16:03:29Z |
When dropping a loop combined fragment on a sequence diagram in RSA 7 you can only add a minimum or maximum number. But what if you don't know the exact maximum, or how do you model things like "for each". A classic example: order with order lines.

The for loop should be 0 to order.lines.count or something like that.
Updated on 2008-10-20T07:59:03Z at 2008-10-20T07:59:03Z by aleks.dworak
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts

Re: Loop Combined Fragment on Sequence Diagram

‏2008-01-07T10:49:06Z  
    Go to the "Properties" view of the constraint...Go to "Advanced" tab.Then in the "Property" column you would find "Maxint" and "Minint".The other column would be "Value". There you could specify various kind of conditions..

Hope it helps

Get back to me for anything further..

Manish
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts

‏2008-03-03T13:05:48Z  
    Go to the "Properties" view of the constraint...Go to "Advanced" tab.Then in the "Property" column you would find "Maxint" and "Minint".The other column would be "Value". There you could specify various kind of conditions..

Hope it helps

Get back to me for anything further..

Manish
    I'm probably overseeing something, but I can't find the "Value" attribute in the advanced tab you mention. If I click the loop I do find the Maxint and Minint.

(Thanks for your answer by the way; I've been away for a while so didn't find the tme to valdate it)

Regards,

Jacob.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts

‏2008-03-03T13:07:58Z  
    I'm probably overseeing something, but I can't find the "Value" attribute in the advanced tab you mention. If I click the loop I do find the Maxint and Minint.

(Thanks for your answer by the way; I've been away for a while so didn't find the tme to valdate it)

Regards,

Jacob.
    Sorry, got it.
    By default the maxint and minint are integers, but you can change them to string, expression, etc.
    This does it all for me.

Regsrds,

Jacob.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts

‏2008-03-03T13:58:24Z  
    Although I can cange the type f the minint and max, the other specified types such as string don't show in the diagram.

Instead of [0,*] that shows up I want something like [for each line item] which is often seen in examples of books. In other words I want to specify the loop condition/constraint myself.

Message was edited by: jhoeflaken

Updated on 2008-03-03T13:58:24Z at 2008-03-03T13:58:24Z by SystemAdmin
  • RobExley
    RobExley
    1 Post

‏2008-09-25T11:48:52Z  
    Although I can cange the type f the minint and max, the other specified types such as string don't show in the diagram.

Instead of [0,*] that shows up I want something like [for each line item] which is often seen in examples of books. In other words I want to specify the loop condition/constraint myself.

jhoeflaken,

Did you ever get a resolution to this? How do you represent a while loop for example which has a non-numeric upper bound? I have found myself wanting to represent something which will repeat until 'result <= threshold'. When I have tried to do this by changing the type of the 'maxint' guard attribute it doesn't alter the representation within the diagram (i.e. it still shows 0,*)

I can achieve something similar by nesting a 'break' fragment within this and adding this to that combined fragment but this would seem to be overkill for what I am trying to achieve.

Rob Exley.
    Systems Architect
    Equifax Plc.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1130 Posts

‏2008-10-05T16:28:47Z  

I'm also interested in the same thing.. I spent today 2 hours on this and still cannot figure out if there is a way to do it or if it is a bug in RSA.

Anybody, any help ?
  • aleks.dworak
    aleks.dworak
    1 Post

‏2008-10-20T07:59:03Z  
    I'm also interested in the same thing.. I spent today 2 hours on this and still cannot figure out if there is a way to do it or if it is a bug in RSA.

Anybody, any help ?
    I also had the same issue about "loop" fragment and I tried many ways to workaround this.

However, in the last version (RSM 7.5), I just had made a try :
    for a loop combined fragment, you still have to specify minimal and maximal number of operations. But these fields can be filled with a String for what I have seen.
    Besides, the "value" field of Properties view on a combined fragment allows to specify further informations, for example :
    0,*until myValue < 10

In my opinion, this is a step forward but does not completely solve the need of expressing "until / while". To be honest I do not exactky remember what UML2 spec says about that.

Hope it helps,

Regards,
    A.