Topic
7 replies Latest Post - ‏2008-03-24T08:18:01Z by _g1
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
14225 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RSA 6/7 How to Display/Hide/Customize message numbers in Sequence Diagram?

‏2007-11-06T21:08:47Z |
Hello everyone!

With RSA 6 or RSA 7, when I create a message in a sequence diagram, a message number is generated automatically and assigned to a message. Eg. 1.1.1.2.1.1.1:requestBusinessProcess() and as my sequence diagram gettting larger, the generated message number is huge and long like 1.1.1.2.1.2.1.1.1.2.1.1.1:ProductAdminSave().

I went into Window, Preference, Modeling, Diagrams, Sequence Diagram and couldn't find anyway to turn off this display. Or is there anyway to customnize this generated display number? For an example 1.a:process(), 1.b:submit(), 1.c:save(), instead of 1.1:process(), 1.1.1:submit(), 1.1.1.1:save(), 1.1.1.1.1.1.1.1:sendEmailNotification(), etc.

Does anyone know the trick?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: danscreens
Updated on 2008-03-24T08:18:01Z at 2008-03-24T08:18:01Z by _g1
  • Carl_Routledge
    Carl_Routledge
    9 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RSA 6/7 How to Display/Hide/Customize message numbers in Sequence Diagram?

‏2007-11-09T11:24:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can hide them.

If you go into the Preferences -> Modeling -> Diagrams -> Sequence and Commnication Diagrams. There is an option called Show message numbering on Sequence Diagrams.

Cheers

Carl
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      14225 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-11-11T01:40:20Z  in response to Carl_Routledge
      Hi Carl,

I use RSA 6 (V6.0.1.2) and RSA 7 (V7.0.0). Both do not have that option.

I navigate to Window > Preferences > Modeling > Diagrams > Sequence and Communication Diagrams.
      I see only 4 options as shown below:

- Automatically create return message

- Show Operation signatures instead of Message signagures

- Always show signatures (overrides individual Message settings)

- Use "parametername=value" notation in Message signature

There is no "Show message numbering on Sequence Diagrams" option as you said.

I read the ?Help Contents about "Customizing sequence diagram display". It shows you how to customize it by
      selecting Window > Preferences > Profiling and Logging > Appearance > UML2 Sequence diagram.

However, I can go only this far on that path: Window > Preference. I do not see the "Profiling and Logging",
      therefore, I can't navigate to "UML2 Sequence diagram" dialog window.

I don't have any clue why these options are not available or not shown on my RSA6 and RSA7.
      Is there anything that you need to enable first (Window > Prefenrece > ...???) before it allows you to access these options ?

Best regards,
      Dan

Updated on 2007-11-11T01:40:20Z at 2007-11-11T01:40:20Z by SystemAdmin
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      14225 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-11-12T03:14:55Z  in response to Carl_Routledge
      Hi Carl,

I found the problem with my RSA6/RAS7 that do not display the option "Show message numbering on Sequence Diagrams". The reason is that this feature was not available in versions 6.x or 7.0.0.0 of RSA (nor of Rational Software Modeler, nor of Rational Systems Developer). You need to have the RSA version 7.0.0.1 or later to have this option available.

Thank you for your help.
      Dan.
      • Carl_Routledge
        Carl_Routledge
        9 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-11-12T14:16:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Glad you found it. I'm using version 7.0.0.4.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          14225 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-11-16T20:33:06Z  in response to Carl_Routledge
          Hi Carl,

Ok, now I can hide message numbers in sequence diagram.

How can you customize the number displayed along with the message?
          For an example, instead of displaying 1: sendAcknowledgement(), 1.1: sendEmail(),
          1.1.1: sendTimeSheetRequest(), the message numbers should be displayed like this:
          1: sendAcknowledgement(), 2: sendEmail(); 3: sendTimeSheetRequest()

Thanks
          dan
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            14225 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RSA 6/7 How to Display/Hide/Customize message numbers in Sequence Diagr

‏2008-03-23T03:57:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hello,

I am having the same problem with sequence numbers growing longer and longer. (1, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.1.1 etc)
            I am following the Hello World: Rational Software Architect V7 tutorial, using the online trial environment.
            Oddly enough, the tutorial shows the desirable sequence numbering (1.1, 1.2 etc).

Did you ever find a solution for this?

Kind regards,
            Ingo
  • _g1
    _g1
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-03-24T08:18:01Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    My query is kind of related;
    My sequence diagram is gettting longer, I mean wider (left to right), becuase of the display style.

Does your version of RSA/ RSM offer a solution/ preferance?

Please refer to the post http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=197649&tstart=0

~g1