Topic
4 replies Latest Post - ‏2009-07-15T21:36:51Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
11979 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Files missing from the *.war file after deployment

‏2007-10-11T23:32:36Z |
I have a very strange problem, while investigating a java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError I've discovered that WAS is losing some files from my war file.

I am using RSA to test our application and when I use run on server the application runs as expected, when I build a war file there is at least one place where I find java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError and this also happens when I deploy to a second server. I'm sure it will happen elsewhere but I did not do an exhaustive search for this error.

To troubleshoot the problem I re-built the war file with the source and prepared to edit/compile/deploy from inside the server.

I went to the java file where the NoClassDefFoundError is generated and the first thing I noticed was that the class file was present but the java file was not. I examined the war I created, and both files are in the war.

Then I went to inspect the class that was not being found and discovered that the java file was there but the class file was not. I re-examined the war file and both files were present inside the war.

My conclusion is that somehow WAS loses the files when it explodes the war inside the server.

As I was typing this a co-worker suggested we try to find where WAS stores the war before exploding it (it was here C:\IBMWAS\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\AppSrv01\wstemp\514564614\upload). We examined it and found the files we know are missing inside the server. So the war is getting on the server without problems, but it loses files sometime after that.

Anyone have any ideas?
Updated on 2009-07-15T21:36:51Z at 2009-07-15T21:36:51Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    11979 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

    Re: Files missing from the *.war file after deployment

    ‏2007-10-12T15:41:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I think I might have posted this in the wrong place. I've made a duplicate of this post in "WebSphere Application Server".

    So, if you want to follow my progress on this problem this post is at http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?forum=266&thread=178959&cat=9

  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    11979 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

    Re: Files missing from the *.war file after deployment

    ‏2007-11-06T16:43:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Wow, lot of views but no replies....it's a stumper.

    I have no solution to this problem, but I have a work around. Since I was using RSA I created a new work space and everything worked fine.
    I diff'd the projects in the work spaces and edited various files.
    After each edit I built / deployed / tested a war file, worked everytime.
    When I made my final edit to the work spaces, I built / deployed / tested a war and it worked just fine.

    So like I say I have no idea what has happened, I don't know what the diferences in the files are, I don't know anything.

    I've been told over and over again that this problem just isn't possible....I now have a greater respect for people who admit to having seen UFOs, ghosts, mermaids etc.,
    Hope no one else ever has this problem.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      11979 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

      Re: Files missing from the *.war file after deployment

      ‏2009-07-15T21:36:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      I have seen this too, usually related to classloader problems. We had different WAR files with different versions of struts. Apparently if there is a problem it gives up in the middle of deployment. Using the same version of struts seemed to fix it, but the problem is back now. RAD shows no error, but by trial and error I can narrow the problem down to a WAR or elements within a WAR.
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        11979 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

        Re: Files missing from the *.war file after deployment

        ‏2009-07-15T21:36:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        In my case I had entire WAR directories missing.