Topic
1 reply Latest Post - ‏2007-12-17T20:35:39Z by SystemAdmin
labulle
labulle
3 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How to build a field that is either a free format field or a choice list?

‏2007-10-11T15:56:54Z |
Hi all,

I do not succeed in building a field that will be either a free format field or a choice list depending on the value of another field. Webddts always displays a choice list - that is empty if the condition for the field to be a free format field is not met -.

Is there a way to do that or is it a known limitation of the web interface of DDTS?

Thanks for your help.
Updated on 2007-12-17T20:35:39Z at 2007-12-17T20:35:39Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    280 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How to build a field that is either a free format field or a choice list?

‏2007-12-17T20:35:39Z  in response to labulle
    You're looking to change the interpretation of the field derivation on the fly based on the value of another field (or similar). The re-derivation of the field isn't possible w/o a round trip to the server (which in WebDDTs isnt' really possible without submitting the form.)

I know what you're trying to do... the quickest way would be to have a two field combo:

Field1A: <combo list> "Select one of these values OR"
    Field1B: <freeform> "if 'OTHER' enter it here"

..itll be quicker to revamp any queries to look in both fields. A while ago, we tried to implement a dynamically re-derived field but no success (gave up). I suppose if you have the time you could dive into the perl_modules of your web interface and define a new type of field interpreter..... ick.