Topic
8 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-02-14T07:21:25Z by zianbasra
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
88 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic How is the migration from Panagon to a P8 system done?

‏2007-10-02T14:27:28Z |
Is the content, classes, etc. migrated to the database for the P8 Content Engine so its possible to switch the Panagon system off after the migration, and only use FileNet P8?

Or is a migration an upgrade to a later version of Panagon, that I understand is called Image Manager or Image Service, that is just searched from FileNet P8?

Hope someone can give me a better understanding in this matter.
Updated on 2012-02-14T07:21:25Z at 2012-02-14T07:21:25Z by zianbasra
  • PerrySG
    PerrySG
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: How is the migration from Panagon to a P8 system done?

‏2007-10-23T09:56:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If you're talking about CS, then it can be upgrade/migrate to P8 CE object stores and ultimately get rid of Panagon CS. But if you're talking about IS, whatever the version, I don't see any case in which can migrate all documents to P8 platform, because the structures are quite different. Insteadly, we use CFS-IS to retrieve federated documents on both system (with the same document class).
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      88 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-01-06T11:54:53Z  in response to PerrySG
      Hello,

Can you expand a bit more when you say 'CS to P8 can be upgrade/migrate'.
      We a looking to move from FileNet Panagon CS v5.2 to P8 4.5.
      We do not want to use CFS. We want to move completely. What is the approach
      for 'upgrade' and for 'migrate'?
      Are there tools / services that IBM provides? What is the cost?

Thanks

Sanjay
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        88 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-01-07T13:03:50Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I totally agree with the above.

For Panagon Content Services, I see it better to migrate to FileNet P8 CM, that will save you the licensing and support cost and any future worries about end of life for the product.

For Image Services, it is a different story. IS is a solid product and will be there for a long time and capable of handle huge volumes of images. Federating IS content through CFS-IS is a good option if you huge investment in IS and large volumes (if the volume is low, them a migration off IS is not a bad idea either).
        I would certainly phase out eProcess and move all workflow processes into a P8-based solution.

In any case, I am interested in any success stories of migrations from CS 5.x to FileNet P8 4.x. How did the process go and how long it took for the volume of content you had? Was it done internally or did you engage a third-party vendor for the migration? Any insight will be appreciated since we are looking at something within these guidelines.

Thanks
    • zianbasra
      zianbasra
      3 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-09T05:44:46Z  in response to PerrySG
      I want to move (migrate) Contents from Panagon 5.5 to P8 5.0. Panagon Services 5.5 API can be accessed by Visual Basic 6.0 and visual C. P8 JAVA API is also available. How can this migration be possible?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    88 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-12-06T09:46:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can use CFS to migrate. Please plan carefully! CFS Guide attached
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      88 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-12-06T18:58:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      CFS allows you to access Images and Content stored in Panagon Images Service and/or Content Services without migrating. Some of the issues with this approach are that you will be paying license fees for both products and the CFS connector as well.

If you have relatively little content in IS/CS, it might be better for you to migrate the content entirely to P8 Content Engine and save yourself license fees. You also get a simpler architecture with fewer parts that can break.

Ayo
      afalokun@gmail.com
      614-315-2293
      www.ecmbpm.com
      • zianbasra
        zianbasra
        3 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-14T07:21:25Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        I want to move (migrate) Contents from Panagon 5.5 to P8 5.0. Panagon Services 5.5 API can be accessed by Visual Basic 6.0 and visual C. P8 JAVA API is also available. How can this migration be possible?
    • ELutz
      ELutz
      2 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-08-06T13:20:15Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      We're using the CFS for access from P( to IS-documents more than one year & it works propely. However, we would like to switch off the current IS-systenm since we wouldn't like to make a hardware update. The mirgration of the index-catalogue is no problem - but we would like to migrate the documents located in the IS as well. Are there any possibility to transfer the catalogue as well as the data from IS to P8 using CFS?

Thank,
      Ernst