Topic
22 replies Latest Post - ‏2013-10-10T17:25:41Z by nagger
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2404 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic nmon analyzer for openoffice

‏2007-09-20T14:53:36Z |
With IBM's recent announcement of sending some devs to work on the OO project. Are there any plans to get nmon analyzer working with openoffice?
Updated on 2012-11-05T17:18:18Z at 2012-11-05T17:18:18Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2404 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: nmon analyzer for openoffice

‏2007-09-20T21:14:17Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Well, I'm not an IBM developer; I write and maintain the Analyser as a personal project and I do most of the work in my own time.
    I have looked at doing an OO version but the time required is more than I can spare with all the other things I do.

So, probably not gong to happen (unless someone else decides to do it).
    • sgarcia
      sgarcia
      5 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-06T13:29:47Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Microsoft has recently announced they will implement support for ODF in Office 2007 (aka OpenDocument Format has clearly won).

Any chance you change your mind about getting nmon analyzer working with openoffice?
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2404 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-06T13:57:25Z  in response to sgarcia
        Hi,
        it's not really a matter of changing my mind - it's finding the time to do it. Although ODF ensures that OO can handle basic xls files ok the VB development environment and object model are completely different and it's basically a rewrite.

Having said that, there are increasing reasons why I should migrate and I'm having a serious rethink about doing it. I've also figured out a way of dramatically reducing the amount of code the Analyser contains (thus reducing the migration effort) so I haven't closed the door completely. Can't say more than that at present.
        • nagger
          nagger
          1595 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

VOTE if you would definitaely use an Openoffice based nmon Analyser

‏2008-08-06T23:03:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          What I would like to determine is: How many people would actually use it?

*If you would definitely use regularly an Open Office based nmon Analyser
          • please add a reply to this Forum item.*

I believe you could already load the nmon file into Open Office as a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file.
          First sort the nmon file in AIX use: sort -n nmonfile.nmon >nmonfile.csv
          Then mark up the cells you want.
          For example, just the CPU_ALL percentage numbers but skip the first column "CPU_ALL".
          Then click on graph choice a graph type and OK
          and it should draw you a graph - this is what I did with Lotus 1-2-3 10 years ago until Steve automated the process.

Just downloaded Open Office for Windows and proved that it works fine.

thanks Nigel
          • tony.evans
            tony.evans
            34 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: VOTE if you would definitaely use an Openoffice based nmon Analyser

‏2008-08-07T08:17:03Z  in response to nagger
            Let's just say that since installing OpenOffice, nmon analyser is the only reason I open Excel any more.
          • sgarcia
            sgarcia
            5 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-07T09:10:43Z  in response to nagger
            At works, I use RHEL 5.2 on my laptop with OO 2.4 and Lotus Symphony as office suite.
            We are more and more numerous to abandon Windows for Linux and to abandon Microsoft Office for OO.

I am very interested in being able to run Analyser on OO.

At present, I have to launch XP under vmware to open Excel based nmon Analyser.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2404 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-20T14:47:24Z  in response to nagger
            Yes, I'd definitely use it.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2404 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-05T11:12:14Z  in response to nagger
            I am recently returned to IBM as a contractor, and my Thinkpad only has Lotus Symphony on it. As such, I cannot run the nmon analyser on any system provided to me as part of my role. An OpenOffice version that ran in Symphony would be very useful.

Interestingly, I'm fairly certain that I did use the nmon analyser in OpenOffice Calc a few years ago (~March '06 maybe), and although it was slow, I managed to get a full set of graphs. Don't know the version of the nmon analyser, although I could probably dig it out.
          • whatsup
            whatsup
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2011-04-15T01:59:07Z  in response to nagger
            How can I ana-lize data colection from nmon with OpenOffice 3.3?

When I push button to import data, nothing is happen.

In our organization, we do not have license for MS Office.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2404 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-11-05T17:18:18Z  in response to nagger
            OO for nmon
  • robstah
    robstah
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-07T20:47:28Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    If you wrote Analyzer for OO I would use it.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2404 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-08T08:25:17Z  in response to robstah
      OK, well I downloaded 2.4.1 of OO and played around a bit - still seems to be weak in some areas vs VBA but I'll try converting some of my simpler tools to get more experience and then form a view of whether it's currently possible to do the Analyser.

Understand that if I do convert to OO that I'll have to freeze the development for Excel - I can't do both.
      • tony.evans
        tony.evans
        34 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-08T08:38:04Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        OO
        Available on multiple platforms
        Free

Excel
        Available on a limited number of platforms
        Not Free

I personally won't mind if the Excel version is frozen.

If you get to the stage where you're looking for help testing an OO version (I know, a long way off, but thought I'd mention it anyway ...)
  • robstah
    robstah
    45 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-08-20T16:29:59Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Any reason to move away from MS is good in my opinion. Freeze the excel version.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2404 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-05T11:43:18Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I'm not sure the two are connected.
    Anyway, I spent AGES looking at this last year and the year before. I even sent the code off to one of the OO developers for assessment and he said "no way" - apparently it's just too complicated and makes far too much use of the graphics API.

I wrote a simple parser that loads nmon files into an OO spreadsheet and splits the sections out into separate sheets (which is how nmon_analyser started life) but, boy, is it SLOOOOOOW - slower than Lotus 1-2-3 used to be before I gave up using it and moved to Excel.

Interestingly though, because IBM seems to be moving to OO (via Symphony) I may be forced to do something about it - but it is going to take man weeks of effort and I just don't have the time in my current job (and I don't have the enthusiasm for doing unpaid work at weekends that I used to).

I guess you'll have to do what I do and get your manager to pay for an MS license.
    • MarkTaylor
      MarkTaylor
      70 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-05T20:37:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      VMWare just for Excel, are you mad ??? :) .. Get a copy of crossover office (they gave it away free not so long ago) or set up Wine yourself .. or do as Nigel said and do it manually ..

I would certainly use OO for the analyser if it were available ..
      • tony.evans
        tony.evans
        34 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-05T23:58:14Z  in response to MarkTaylor
        So all we really need is someone with the energy to start up an open source OO nmon analyser project somewhere and everyone can chip in, since so many people here would use it.
        • MarkTaylor
          MarkTaylor
          70 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-06-11T09:59:52Z  in response to tony.evans
          I gave in and installed excel in crossover office .. works ok for now ..
  • AndreKoonings
    AndreKoonings
    1 Post
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-09-20T07:52:44Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Having an open office version of Nmon Analyzer would help very much. I know this is quite an old topic. but recently this came up on a linked In group.

• nagger
    nagger
    1595 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2013-10-10T17:25:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Guys,
    You can hope and wish all you like but there is no plans to go OpenOffice or similar.

It was tried and failed - large numbers missing functions in OpenOffice and two orders of magnitude too slow
    - If Excel takes 30 second to run would you wait 30 minutes?

If you want Linux to graph the nmon data look to nmon2web (or nmon2rrd) for many machine on a regular basis or pgraph.

nmon2web can completely automate the process of graphing directly on your Linux machines so you don't have to "analyse" in that sense ever again.
    Just look at the graphs on a website when ever you like.

I hope this dashes your hopes and dreams one final tim so you can move on!!

Cheers, mr_nmon.