Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2009-03-04T03:36:29Z by SystemAdmin
jmathane
jmathane
3 Posts

Pinned topic How to create a new version of an asset with the Eclipse client.

‏2007-09-18T10:36:20Z |
I have modified the artifacts of an asset, in the general details, the button "update" is active.
I want to submit a new version of the asset. I modify the version field in the general details (change it from 1.0 to 1.1), and press the buton "Update".
I expect that it will propose either to modify the existing version, or to create a new version. But is does not propose to create a new version. It proposes only to update the existing version, does it (takes into account the changes in the artifacts) but does not take into account the change in the version field.
What did I miss ???
Updated on 2009-03-04T03:36:29Z at 2009-03-04T03:36:29Z by SystemAdmin
  • ricky1
    ricky1
    84 Posts

Re: How to create a new version of an asset with the Eclipse client.

‏2007-09-18T13:55:16Z  
    It is supposed to see that you changed the version and then when you hit update it should ask whether you want to create a new version or replace the existing version with this one.

But I'm a little confused because there is no "Update" button on the General Details, but there is an "Update" button on the Confirm tab.

I just tested it on our own 7.0GA image and it works fine.

What browser are you using, IE, Firefox, etc. and what version of the browser?

Also make double sure that on the confirm page itself that it shows the version as updated. It may be that some keystroke you hit had undone the change.
  • jmathane
    jmathane
    3 Posts

‏2007-09-18T14:00:43Z  
    I have found the solution : do a save of the data (Ctrl-Shift-S) before doing the "update". Then it takes into account the change in the "Version" field.. and proposes you the choice to create a new version of the asset..
    This is so stupid.. RAM should do this automatically.. or else warn you that "what you see is not what you get" .. !!
  • ricky1
    ricky1
    84 Posts

‏2007-09-18T14:04:40Z  
    • jmathane
    • ‏2007-09-18T14:00:43Z
    I have found the solution : do a save of the data (Ctrl-Shift-S) before doing the "update". Then it takes into account the change in the "Version" field.. and proposes you the choice to create a new version of the asset..
    This is so stupid.. RAM should do this automatically.. or else warn you that "what you see is not what you get" .. !!
    Wait, are you RCP/Eclipse? I thought you were web. Please specify in the future which you are. I don't know the Eclipse/RCP client. I will need to forward this to our RCP/Eclipse developer instead.
  • ricky1
    ricky1
    84 Posts

‏2007-09-18T14:06:28Z  
    • ricky1
    • ‏2007-09-18T14:04:40Z
    Wait, are you RCP/Eclipse? I thought you were web. Please specify in the future which you are. I don't know the Eclipse/RCP client. I will need to forward this to our RCP/Eclipse developer instead.
    Dumb me. :-) The title said you were Eclipse! Duh!
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    217 Posts

‏2007-09-18T16:07:03Z  
    • jmathane
    • ‏2007-09-18T14:00:43Z
    Hello,
    I totally agree that the file should be automatically saved for you once the button is pressed. I have opened a defect to track this problem, and shall be fixed in the next release.
    Regards,
    Srimanth.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    217 Posts

‏2009-03-02T10:01:40Z  
    Hi

I am using RAM from eclipse client. Whenever I am updating my asset I am getting an Asset Update Confirmation window saying 'Confirm that you want to update the asset without updating its version'. If I say 'Yes' it updates the asset without changing its version. But how to automatically change the version of the asset whenever I update the asset?
  • ricky1
    ricky1
    84 Posts

‏2009-03-02T14:29:11Z  
    Hi

I am using RAM from eclipse client. Whenever I am updating my asset I am getting an Asset Update Confirmation window saying 'Confirm that you want to update the asset without updating its version'. If I say 'Yes' it updates the asset without changing its version. But how to automatically change the version of the asset whenever I update the asset?
    Hi,

There is no automatic way. When you update an asset you can either replace the existing asset (with or without changing the version) or create a new asset with a new version and keep the old asset around. It is up to you on each update which it is you intend to do.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    217 Posts

‏2009-03-04T03:36:29Z  
    Hi

In RAM v7.1.1 you could create a policy that automatically checks the asset version to see if it is an update and force it to create a new version each time. I believe in V7.1.1 we made is so the previous version of the asset is still in existence while the new version or update goes through the review process. The policy you would write would be on asset review. Watch the policy tutorial on the Rational Asset Manager Exchange or on the RAM Insider Blog