Topic
16 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-09-14T16:05:05Z by Omkarvenu
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
2105 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic DataStage Install on Windows

‏2007-08-02T17:54:47Z |
Howdy - I would like to install DataStage EE on my laptop that is currently running Windows XP. From what I understand, you cannot run DS jobs on XP. what tools are available to emulate Unix (preferably free) and would appreciate a couple of tips on how to accomplish this. Thanks.
Updated on 2010-09-14T16:05:05Z at 2010-09-14T16:05:05Z by Omkarvenu
  • vmcburney
    vmcburney
    11 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: DataStage Install on Windows

‏2007-08-03T03:02:42Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    You can use DataStage 7.5.2x or DataStage 8.0 or DataStage 8.0.1 on Windows 2003 or Windows XP and it can compile and run DataStage parallel jobs. You need over 2G to run version 8.0.1 due to the memory requirements of the Metadata Server and WebSphere Application Server.

regards
    Vincent McBurney
    ITToolbox Blogger: Tooling Around on the IBM Information Server
    • [url=http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/websphere/archives/the-best-online-forums-for-datastage-and-the-ibm-information-server-18058]The best online forums for DataStage and the IBM Information Server[/url]
    • [url=http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/bi/websphere/archives/ibm-virtual-world-guidelines-you-can-checkout-any-time-you-like-but-you-can-never-leave-18083]IBM Virtual World Guidelines: You can checkout any time you like but you can never leave[/url]
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2105 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T05:49:49Z  in response to vmcburney
      Vincent - Maybe I am missing something here but I've already installed, compiled and tried to run a couple of simple parallel jobs (compilation doesn't produce any errors). I get the following error message when I try to run the jobs "This jobtype is not currently runnable on this platform". What am I missing here?

Thanks.
      Suresh
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2105 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T05:52:31Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Just to add to the previous note...Server jobs work fine on XP. I am having problems with parallel jobs.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2105 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T06:03:26Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Simple, you don't have [b]7.5x2[/b] - as noted, that is the only version pre-8 that will run PX jobs on Windows.

-craig
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            2105 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T15:43:39Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Craig - Thanks for the reply. I've double checked and am running 7.5.2 EE.
        • Ray.Wurlod
          Ray.Wurlod
          78 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-30T07:44:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          7.5.2 is not the same as 7.5x2

The former can not execute parallel jobs on Windows platforms, the latter can.

Windows XP is not officially supported as a platform for DataStage, but can be gotten to work. You're on your own from a support perspective, though.
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2105 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T13:14:09Z  in response to vmcburney

If I read this right, only the 8.0.1 client can run on XP; if server is on Windows, then it must be on Windows Server 2003 SP1.

This info is from:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27008923

Platform requirements

The clients are supported on 32-bit systems that run Windows XP, Service Pack 2, or Windows Vista(TM).

The metadata repository, domain, and engine are supported on 32-bit systems that run Windows Server 2003, Service Pack 1
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2105 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T15:44:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Eric - Thats how I read it too. That the EE server has to be on Windows 2000 or Widnows 2003 Server. Hence, my original question.
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          2105 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-03T17:07:20Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi Suresh,

That is true for variations of version 7.5 but from the 8.0.1 docs I do not see Windows 2000 server listed as an option.

It's hard to tell from indentation, but my reply above was to Vincent about his statement "DataStage 7.5.2x or DataStage 8.0 or DataStage 8.0.1 on Windows 2003 or Windows XP" in that you can not run 8.0 or 8.0.1 on Windows XP, at least it would not be supported, which usually means it won't work.

To answer your original question, the software I see reference to most often is VMware. In fact when I took a class, the 7.5.2 EE server was running on red hat linux on VMware on a Windows PC. I don't know if it's free or not; you can search the web for VMware.

If you have or register an account on eServer, you can check the product availability matrix. According to that, version "7.5x2" requires Windows 2003 while plain version "7.5" is the only one listed where the server can run on XP (but it won't run EE jobs). Note that version "7.5x2" was release in 2004 and I have heard that support people no longer recommend it (I assume due to its age).

Eric
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2105 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-07T05:34:29Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    you can use centos 4.4 (red hat enterprise linux) and vmware on windows

but really, 7.5x2 works in XP ...
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      2105 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

DataStage Install on Windows

‏2007-08-30T19:20:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin

Hi All,

IF it is servicepak 2(ForXp) it is working for 7.5X2 version I had checked and worked with it.

If any concerns let me know.
      ----
      Arun Kumar
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        2105 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-28T03:00:08Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Arun,

I am getting the same message. As per some post from forum I have installed windows 2003 R2 and running DataStage 7.5. But job giving same error "This jobtype is not currently runnable on this platform." Job compiling properly.

Thanks,
        Raj
        • WalkerDean
          WalkerDean
          10 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-28T09:47:30Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          As per Vince's reply - Parallel Jobs will only run on Windows 2003 if you have installed DS 7.5x2 or 8.0 or 8.0.1.
      • Omkarvenu
        Omkarvenu
        1 Post
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-09-14T16:05:05Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Hi Arun,

Mine was the same problem here.

Trying to install datastage 7.5x2 on windows server 2003 R2 enterprise edition Sp2.

steps followed:
        1.installed datastage server first.
        2.uninstalled MKS flatform
        3.installed .NETframework(.EXE file was in my datastage client folder)
        4.installed datastage client
        5.installed MKS toolkit(.EXE file which was in my datastage server folder)

Able to run a server job but not a parallel.

Did i miss out any thing?

Can you help me out?

Thanks in advance

Omkar venu
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    2105 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-02-08T01:02:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I used VMWare with MS Server 2003 with SP and Visual C++ and everything worked okay. The C++ libs are critical or
    PX will not work.
    • MujeeburRehman
      MujeeburRehman
      1 Post
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-04-12T00:28:40Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Can you be more specific on the installation steps you did for to run DataStage on Windows 2003 with Visual C++