7 replies Latest Post - ‏2014-07-22T21:07:45Z by LeilaE
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
14225 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic RAD7 problem: cannot create a runtime

‏2007-07-31T04:11:18Z |
Hi,
I have just installed RAD7, and after successfully migrating a WSAD5.1 project (a web app), I cannot create a runtime to run the project. Description:
  • I click 'Run on Server', the first page of the Run On Server wizard appears.
  • I select 'WebSphere v6.1 Server' in the list of server types.
  • The 'Server runtime' dropdown menu only has one entry: 'Create a new runtime'.
  • The 'Installed Runtimes' button launches a popup that shows a list of installed runtimes, including 'WebSphere v6.1 Server stub'
  • There's no way to get the existing stub runtime selected in the wizard main page, so I click the Next button
  • The second page a the wizard appears, asking me for an 'Installation Directory'. Pointing to 'C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61_stub' fails, as does any additional path into the folder ('The WebSphere Application Server installation directory is not correct.')

What am I missing? Any help greatly appreciated.
Updated on 2012-01-19T18:16:50Z at 2012-01-19T18:16:50Z by EG2Q_Radha_Spencer
  • scottyab
    scottyab
    3 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: RAD7 problem: cannot create a runtime

‏2008-10-13T09:37:55Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Hey,

I'm getting the same issue, since installing RAD 7.5. I can't seem to add the WAS 6.1 runtime, pointing the 'Add server runtime' wizzard at E:\prg\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v61_stub\profiles but no joy? is this the correct path?

I've tried:
    E:\prg\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v61_stub\
    E:\prg\IBM\SDP\runtimes\
    E:\prg\IBM\SDP\runtimes\base_v61_stub\profiles\AppServer01\

The wizard doesn't like any of them and wont allow me to click next to create the rumtime :(

cheers

Scott
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      14225 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-10-14T08:02:37Z  in response to scottyab
      did you guys install the WAS6.1 properly?
      as far as i know, you should have a +italics+<install_dir>\SDP\runtimes\base_v61+italics+ directory .
      The italics_sub+italics+ is just a placeholder-directory and not useful for running the applications on.

I also understood that in RAD 7.5, the test-environments are optional and can be installed seperate from the tool itself as you can read in http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/radhelp/v7r5/topic/com.ibm.rad.install.doc/topics/c_whatsnew_product.html

hope it helps...
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        14225 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-03-20T20:18:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Same problem here.

Here is a breakdown of what I have-

1. Initial install was RSA 7.5 with WAS 7. Works fine.
        2. Added WAS 6.1 tools via Installation Manager. Success.
        3. Install WAS 6.1 via Installation Manager. Success.

The 6.1 server works perfectly fine. I can start/stop/deploy/etc outside of RSA. Try to add it to RSA as a server runtime - no joy. It is installed along side 7.0 as base_v61. I even used the 'Search' feature from Preferences > Server > Runtime Environments, starting at runtimes dir and it doesn't find anything.

I don't even care about the integration between RSA and WAS. I just want to build an app targeted for WAS 6.1 in RSA 7.5.

Any ideas?

Mike Finn
        Rochester, NY
        • kcarter
          kcarter
          2 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-01-31T23:41:32Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          I have been using WDSC for some time now and I have version 7.0 and can successfully start Websphere App Server within that version.
          I have just install the latest version of RDi and have the same issue. I can verify that the install is there as the path is simular
          as my current version. I choose to install WAS 6.1 inside the new version of Rdi in case there were version issues.

On our production and dev boxes we run WAS 6.1 and I've installed both of them.

I choose the path and lo and behold I get the error indicating that the server cannot be found. I even tried pointing it to the version
          that I know works with the same results.

There is definately a bug here. Thankfully my current version still works and I can start WAS 6.1 just fine.

Rdi must be hard coded to look for a specific folder or object and perhaps its installed somewhere else.

The working version Server is installed at: C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP70\runtimes\base_v61\profiles\AppSrv01 <---- works fine.
          The RDi version is installed at: C:\Program Files\IBM\SDP2\runtimes\base_v61_stub\profiles\AppSrv01

Perhaps this is the problem. *Note base_v61 verses base_v61_stub.
          I also have the stub folders in my working version but that WAS server that works is pointing to base_v61.

I will try again to point my Rdi to the base_v61 folder and see what happens. Will keep you posted.
          • EG2Q_Radha_Spencer
            EG2Q_Radha_Spencer
            1 Post
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-01-19T18:16:50Z  in response to kcarter
            Hi All,

I have the same issue. I have RAD 7.5.3 installed on my old computer and can easily deploy to WAS 6.1 located in c:/IBM/SDP/runtimes/base_v61/profiles/was61profile1

but on my new computer I have RAD 7.5.5 (64 bit) and cannot install to: /SDP/runtimes/base_v61_stub/profiles/AppSrv01

RAD comes back with the error: The WebSphere Application Server installation directory is not correct.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Please help!
            Thanks!
            Radha
            • Sweta
              Sweta
              1 Post
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-07-22T20:45:39Z  in response to EG2Q_Radha_Spencer

Hi ,

I was wondering if anyone found a solution to this. I am facing the same issue.

Thanks,

Sweta

• LeilaE
                LeilaE
                14 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2014-07-22T21:07:45Z  in response to Sweta

Stub folder only has the libraries for compiling app, it is not meant for creating a server instance or deploying an app.

The WebSphere Application Server Test Enviornment (WTE) installation is now separate in RAD 7.5.

Please see:

"Separate installation for WebSphere Application Server"

in this article:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/08/1111_chung/