• 4 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2007-07-24T16:42:03Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
101 Posts

Pinned topic Pricing information for z/Series MIPS

‏2007-07-18T20:04:59Z |
Hello,

I would like to find out the 'exact' cost of IBM z/Series scalablilty. System z has the 'on-demand' feature to scale up mips when workloads are at a maximum. What are the cost of the extra usage(s) by the z/Series owners?

Thanks in advance....Rick
Updated on 2007-07-24T16:42:03Z at 2007-07-24T16:42:03Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

Re: Pricing information for z/Series MIPS

‏2007-07-20T16:51:46Z  
    Hi there--

thanks for being the first to post! Will do a little digging and get you an answer.

Paul
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2007-07-23T17:03:02Z  
    Hi there--

thanks for being the first to post! Will do a little digging and get you an answer.

Paul
    Thanks, I am not usually 1st at anything :-)

This forum can be an excellent source of information for developers with questions that are not technical. I look forward to the information!

Regards,
    Rick
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2007-07-23T21:55:41Z  
    Thanks, I am not usually 1st at anything :-)

This forum can be an excellent source of information for developers with questions that are not technical. I look forward to the information!

Regards,
    Rick
    Hi again--

Still researching, and finding out this is a complex question. System z pricing depends on the specific implementation/installation details. Until I get a better answer, the best thing is to use the Request a Quote tool at:

http://www.ibm.com/products/specialoffers/us/en/zseries_servers.html

By the way, OK to discuss anything mainframe-related here, whether it is on the business or technical side of things.

Paul
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    101 Posts

‏2007-07-24T16:42:03Z  
    HI again--

After some more digging, I have a little more information for you:

First, System z pricing very much depends on your needs and plans. Typically, it requires a sales person to do a precise, useful job. I would recommend that you get in touch with your sales rep if you have specific needs, or even general questions about how much you might expect to spend if you use the System z platform. You can also request a quote via the web from the following page:

https://www-931.ibm.com/bin/raq/route.cgi?page_id=169395&route=display-quote&quote_id=39&source=raq-web-page&bu_id=0

Second, I have information from one of our pricing experts that might be useful. Here is what he has to say:

"The question appears to relate to our On/Off Capacity on Demand offering. The cost of additional temporary MIPS would be priced on a MIPS/Day basis. In general this cost would be equal to 1/90th of the Price/MIPS purchase cost. (This will vary, and it is negotiable.)

"There would also be SW costs associated with the activation of the O/OCoD MIPS. The WLC software would be priced on the rolling 4 hour average MSUs used (if the customer were a SubCapacity WLC customer) for the month. (WLC would be billed on a monthly basis.) OTC licenses would be billed on the number of new processors added that were above the number of OTC licenses already owned by the customer.

"Today, no Maintenance charges would be added, but this might change sometime in the future."

Perhaps this will help clarify things for you. Please post any additional comments or questions here, and perhaps others will join in.

Speaking of which, does anyone reading this have comments about this issue?

Paul