Topic
  • 8 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2013-01-02T21:07:44Z by BruceMacIsaac
Peter_Haumer
Peter_Haumer
372 Posts

Pinned topic [FAQ] How to find information about using IBM Rational ClearCase with Rational Method Composer

‏2007-07-12T00:53:04Z |
Here an overview on material around the CC integration:

RMC Online Help:
Book: Using version control system

Technote:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=2360&context=SSBSK5&context=SSSTWP&dc=DB520&q1=ClearCase&uid=swg21251785&loc=en_US&cs=utf-8&lang=en

RMC pre-7.1 Version Control Kit
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/06/0228_hedstrom/

EPF Composer Version Control overview
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/org.eclipse.epf/docs/Using%20EPF%20with%20a%20Version%20Control%20System.htm?root=Technology_Project&content-type=text%2Fhtml&revision=HEAD

Please, let us know if you find errors or omissions as well as your suggestions for improvement.

Peter Haumer.
Updated on 2013-01-02T21:07:44Z at 2013-01-02T21:07:44Z by BruceMacIsaac
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1193 Posts

Re: [FAQ] How to find information about using IBM Rational ClearCase with Rational Method Composer

‏2007-12-03T19:19:47Z  
    I need to know if the information in the above referenced toolkit, particular the Appendix, "Based on Your Actions, What Files Change" still holds. (Given it is pre 7.1 and my company will be using 7.2 with clearcase integration.)
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    1193 Posts

Re: [FAQ] How to find information about using IBM Rational ClearCase with Rational Method Composer

‏2008-10-02T00:28:28Z  
    Hi,

I am running into some stubming blocks following these steps in the EPF Composer Version Control overview

I completed step 2 by:
    • Created new C:\Documents and Settings\glagron\glagron_Costco_Unified_Process_3.x_int\CUP_Source\RMC\libraries\library.72

I completed steps 2.1 by:
    • Expanded the library.72.zip into it
    • Version controlled ONLY library.xmi
    • Launched RMC via this shortcut "C:\Program Files\IBM\RMC72\rmc\rmc.exe" -data "C:\Documents and Settings\glagron\glagron_Costco_Unified_Process_3.x_int\CUP_Source\RMC\libraries\library.72" to point to the new workspace

Questions:
    • Launching EPF into that workspace did not create the .project file per step 2.4
    • File / Open Library from workspace does not populate RMC as expected. Only opening C:\Program Files\IBM\RMC72\rmc\library.72 populates RMC, but again that defeats the whole purpose of step 2.1
    • EPF & RMC is being used interchangeably in the document, are they the same? I am on IBM Rational Method Composer Version: 7.2.0 & ClearCase SCM Adapter 3.0

Please advise as to the necessary corrective steps so far.
  • Peter_Haumer
    Peter_Haumer
    372 Posts

‏2008-10-07T02:48:50Z  
    Hi,

I am running into some stubming blocks following these steps in the EPF Composer Version Control overview

I completed step 2 by:
    • Created new C:\Documents and Settings\glagron\glagron_Costco_Unified_Process_3.x_int\CUP_Source\RMC\libraries\library.72

I completed steps 2.1 by:
    • Expanded the library.72.zip into it
    • Version controlled ONLY library.xmi
    • Launched RMC via this shortcut "C:\Program Files\IBM\RMC72\rmc\rmc.exe" -data "C:\Documents and Settings\glagron\glagron_Costco_Unified_Process_3.x_int\CUP_Source\RMC\libraries\library.72" to point to the new workspace

Questions:
    • Launching EPF into that workspace did not create the .project file per step 2.4
    • File / Open Library from workspace does not populate RMC as expected. Only opening C:\Program Files\IBM\RMC72\rmc\library.72 populates RMC, but again that defeats the whole purpose of step 2.1
    • EPF & RMC is being used interchangeably in the document, are they the same? I am on IBM Rational Method Composer Version: 7.2.0 & ClearCase SCM Adapter 3.0

Please advise as to the necessary corrective steps so far.
    Hello Guidlain.
    The EPF Composer document does not deal with workspace libraries as this is an RMC-only feature. Please, check out the RMC online help instead. The section explaining workspaces can be found here in the online help here: Rational Method Composer > Creating reusable method content > Workspace method libraries

You should follow the steps in Converting a single-project method library to a workspace method library. Follow the steps in the way that you
    • create your own workspace directory in your home directory (not a CC view)
    • start RMC with -data pointing to that directory
    • follow the steps in the online help (open lib from workspace; import RUP from its location in the install directory)
    • once RUP has been imported in your workspace it will appear in your library view
    • now you can import or create your own plug-ins (that extend RUP)
    • only for those plugins and method configuration projects that you own do a right-click and select Show in Resource Navigator. In the navigator right-click the package and select Team -> Share Project to place these plug-ins under CC control.

Hope this help,
    Peter.
  • Peter_Haumer
    Peter_Haumer
    372 Posts

‏2008-10-07T02:49:46Z  
    I need to know if the information in the above referenced toolkit, particular the Appendix, "Based on Your Actions, What Files Change" still holds. (Given it is pre 7.1 and my company will be using 7.2 with clearcase integration.)
    No. We have updated tables in the online help.
    Peter.
  • Peter_Haumer
    Peter_Haumer
    372 Posts

‏2008-12-18T00:33:15Z  
    A 48 min. demo video for "How to get started using ClearCase and RMC" is now available here: http://blog.haumer.net/rational-method-composer/113

Peter.
  • Ankit_Shah
    Ankit_Shah
    1 Post

‏2009-01-21T21:05:41Z  
    A 48 min. demo video for "How to get started using ClearCase and RMC" is now available here: http://blog.haumer.net/rational-method-composer/113

Peter.
    I saw the following on RMC 7.5 help:

Restrictions
    Rational Method Composer should not be used with the following versions of Rational ClearCase because files in the method library cannot be easily merged.
    ClearCase MultiSite
    ClearCase UCM

So I cannot use RMC 7.5 with CC UCM? Any one knows why is this restriction. Is this restriction due to Binary File merge? Are there Binary Files in RMC?
  • Peter_Haumer
    Peter_Haumer
    372 Posts

‏2009-01-23T03:51:10Z  
    I saw the following on RMC 7.5 help:

Restrictions
    Rational Method Composer should not be used with the following versions of Rational ClearCase because files in the method library cannot be easily merged.
    ClearCase MultiSite
    ClearCase UCM

So I cannot use RMC 7.5 with CC UCM? Any one knows why is this restriction. Is this restriction due to Binary File merge? Are there Binary Files in RMC?
    Yes, the reason is that RMC does not support merging files at all. UCM, however relies on merging capabilities. We therefore recommend to use Base ClearCase and using reserved check-outs only. Hope this helps, Peter.
  • BruceMacIsaac
    BruceMacIsaac
    72 Posts

‏2013-01-02T21:07:44Z  
    The latest information on using RMC with version control systems can be found here:
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/W6b0a089a62f3_4493_bcc1_ebe60a2ebb41/page/Using%20RMC%20with%20Version%20Control%20Systems