10 replies Latest Post - ‏2010-07-04T17:05:41Z by PedroGonnet
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
10114 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic realloc_align bug

‏2007-07-08T13:19:50Z |
The realloc_align routine in
/opt/ibm/cell-sdk/prototype/src/lib/misc/realloc_align.h seems to have a bug.

If malloc_align(100,4) happens to get a result from malloc that matches you requested alignment then malloc_align will return a pointer that is sizeof(void*) from what was algined.

You then write some data, do some unrelated mallocs and call realloc_align(ptr,500,4)
If realloc then returns a pointer that no longer matches your alignment then realloc_align will offset the result to get your new alignment but it doesn't move your data.

The comment in the header indicates that realloc_align will preserve your data if the requested alignment matches the original alignment. This isn't true, data only gets preserved if the alignment of the original malloc() call matches the alignment of the underlying realloc() call (so the offset stays constant)

The attached test code demonstrates the problem on my PS3 with sdk 2.0

You can fix the problem by adding a memmove() to realloc_align to move the data the difference between the old offset and the new offset. This might mean that the data gets transfered twice (once by realloc and once by realloc_align)

Updated on 2010-07-04T17:05:41Z at 2010-07-04T17:05:41Z by PedroGonnet
  • CellServ
    CellServ
    1346 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: realloc_align bug

‏2007-07-09T22:36:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    Does this code print "Error" for you every time you run it? I tested this with SDK 2.1 (compiled on x86) and run both in simulator and blade and don't get the "Error" printed.

I compiled with:

/opt/cell/bin/ppu-gcc -W -Wall -Winline -I. -I /opt/ibm/cell-sdk/prototype/sysroot/usr/include -O3 realloc_align_test.c

--
    IBM SDK Service Administrator
    • SystemAdmin
      SystemAdmin
      10114 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-07-15T16:22:55Z  in response to CellServ
      If I compile the program like
      gcc -I /opt/ibm/cell-sdk/prototype/sysroot/usr/include realloc_align_test.c

It fails everytime, even after upgrading to sdk2.1

However,

If I compile it with
      ppu-gcc -I /opt/ibm/cell-sdk/prototype/sysroot/usr/include realloc_align_test.c

I don't get the error.
      For PPU code does ppu-gcc do something different than the stock gcc?
      • CellServ
        CellServ
        1346 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-07-16T15:04:16Z  in response to SystemAdmin
        Your tests have answered your question :)

You need to use "ppu-gcc" if you're using any code from the SDK since everything is written to properly align (memory or otherwise) with SPE code, even if you're not starting any SPE threads.

--
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          10114 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-08T14:45:57Z  in response to CellServ
          Hi,

Compiling the test using the SDK ppu32-gcc does not work. It seems that the realloc_align only works correctly when compiling for 64 bits. Can anybody else check that bug. (I've checked it using the last SDK on a PS3 and on a blade).

Thanks in advance,
          Salut!

Ramon.
          • SystemAdmin
            SystemAdmin
            10114 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-08T19:25:36Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            My coworker and I corroborate ssinger's claim of the incorrectness of realloc_align.

The following code will crash on a PS3 with sdk2.1. Compile with ppu-gcc -m32 file.c -o file

code
            #include </opt/ibm/cell-sdk/prototype/src/lib/misc/malloc_align.h>
            #include </opt/ibm/cell-sdk/prototype/src/lib/misc/realloc_align.h>
            #include <stdint.h>
            #include <stdbool.h>

#define INITIAL_ARRAY_SIZE 1024

int main(int argc, char ** argv)
            {
            int i = 0;
            int icurrentArraySize = INITIAL_ARRAY_SIZE;
            unsigned long long * db_ppu;
            unsigned char * str;

str = (unsigned char*)_malloc_align(256, 4);

db_ppu = (unsigned long long *)_malloc_align(icurrentArraySize*sizeof(unsigned long long), 4);
            printf("db_ppu ptr = %lx, db_ppu realptr = %lx\n", db_ppu, *((void **)(db_ppu)-1));
            for(i = 0; i < icurrentArraySize; i++)
            db_ppu[i] = i;

while(true)
            {
            icurrentArraySize = icurrentArraySize*2;
            db_ppu = (unsigned long long *)_realloc_align(db_ppu, icurrentArraySize*sizeof(unsigned long long), 4);
            printf("db_ppu ptr = %lx, db_ppu realptr = %lx\n", db_ppu, *((void **)(db_ppu)-1));

if(db_ppu == NULL)
            {
            printf("Was enable to assign memory... Exiting\n");
            exit(0);
            }

for(i = 0; i < INITIAL_ARRAY_SIZE; i++)
            {
            if( db_ppu[i] != i)
            {
            printf("ERROR: Data does not match what is expected. Check if the lower four bits of the real pointer have changed.\n");
            exit(1);
            }
            }

}

return 0;
            }
            [/code]

The only difference between my code and ssinger's code is that I dirty the heap in a different way than he does. I'm going to guess that the difference between gcc and ppu-gcc as previously questioned is that either ppu-gcc has a different mallocater than the stock gcc.

ssinger had it bang on - realloc_align is incorrect code. malloc_align and realloc_align are wrappers to malloc and realloc that ask for a bit more space than the caller requests and increments the pointer returned by the libc call until it is appropriately aligned. something like:

code
            real_ptr = malloc(size + (1 << log2_align) + sizeof(void**))
            p = real_ptr;
            while(((int)p)&0xf) p++;
            *(p-1) = real_ptr;
            return p;
            [/code]

Suppose your code looks like this:
            code
            p = malloc_align(some_space, some_alignment);
            p[0] = some_value;
            p = realloc_align(some_more_space, some_alignment);
            [/code]

malloc_align wraps a call to malloc which returns some value real_p. malloc_align returns some p > real_p that is properly aligned - so the line p[0] write at address p.
            Now when realloc is called, real_p is computed from p, and realloc'ed, say real_p'. Now p' is computed, but is purely based on the offset of real_p'! This disregards the fact that the offset of the DATA in the data block is already fixed by the assignment before the realloc. Thus realloc_align works fine provided that libc's realloc returns a pointer with the same alignment, but that kind of defeats the purpose of the wrapper.

It takes a special heap situation to have the mallocater return memory that's on a different byte boundary. The sample above needs to be compiled for 32bits because we don't particularily clutter the heap. The malloc on line 15 is the only other heap request, but it is enough; commenting out that line and recompiling and the program runs to completion.

realloc_align can certainly be coaxed to fail even when working in a 64bit environment, but with the larger address space there has to be considerably more clutter on the heap to force the realloc or malloc to return a pointer with a peculiar alignment.

Without access to the internals of malloc, our workarounds are either:
            • malloc new memory, do a memcopy, free the old memory (requires both objects to be resident simultaneously, thus may fail if the heap if pretty full)
            OR
            • realloc the memory, but do a memcopy if the alignment of the original pointer has changed (this requires an extra memcopy than the one already implicitly executed in realloc)

however both of those require that we know the size of the old pointer so we don't generate a segfault copying off the address-space.

v.
            • CellServ
              CellServ
              1346 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-08-08T19:47:48Z  in response to SystemAdmin
              I believe you are correct about the failings of realloc_align and will open an internal defect to get this worked on.

thanks
              --
              • SystemAdmin
                SystemAdmin
                10114 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-09T15:38:25Z  in response to CellServ
                Is this fixed?
                • CellServ
                  CellServ
                  1346 Posts
                  ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-04-09T16:13:37Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                  Yes, this is fixed in SDK 3.0.

--
                  • SystemAdmin
                    SystemAdmin
                    10114 Posts
                    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2009-02-18T17:23:05Z  in response to CellServ
                    In my opinion, there are still 2 bugs in realloc_align.h (SDK 3.1).

• First bug: I would replace the 'prev_offset' computation

prev_offset = ptr - real_ptr;

with

prev_offset = ptr - (real_ptr + 2*sizeof(

void *));

Otherwise 'prev_offset' is wrongly computed (especially with several
                    successive calls to _realloc_align()).

• Second bug: replace

memmove(ret, ptr, (size > prev_size) ? prev_size : size);

with

memmove(ret, (

void *)(real + 2*sizeof(

void *)) + prev_offset, (size > prev_size) ? prev_size : size);

since the call to realloc() can modify the content of the "old" memory area
                    (this actually happens in some of my tests). Therefore we cannot rely on the content
                    of this old memory area, and we should better move the content of the "new" memory area.

Can you please confirm/invalidate these 2 points?
                    Thank you.
                    • PedroGonnet
                      PedroGonnet
                      12 Posts
                      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-07-04T17:05:41Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                      I can confirm that realloc_align is broken in SDK 3.1 for 64-bit applications. Since the code that breaks it is part of a much larger program, I won't post it here, but I was getting shifted data after calling realloc_align and doing the re-allocation "by hand" (e.g. malloc_align, memcpy, free_align) fixed the problem.

Cheers, Pedro.