Topic
  • 7 replies
  • Latest Post - ‏2012-06-19T12:10:35Z by SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
37421 Posts

Pinned topic RAD v7.0 Duplicate entry issue possibly caused by .runtime or .classpath files

‏2007-06-29T12:42:03Z |
We have migrated from RAD v6.0 and WAS v5.1 to RAD v7.0 and WAS v6.1 (with much pain).
Our RAD v7.0 projects WEB, EJB and APPLICATION all contain .runtime files that still point to WAS 5.1:
<runtime runtime-id="was.base.v51"/>
and the .classpath file contain old WAS v5.1 references as well as the now WAS v6.1 ones:
<classpath>
<classpathentry kind="src" path="ejbModule"/>
<classpathentry kind="lib" path="/EPSApl/com.ibm.mq.jar"/>
<classpathentry kind="lib" path="/EPSApl/com.ibm.mqbind.jar"/>
<classpathentry kind="lib" path="/EPSApl/com.ibm.mqjms.jar"/>
<classpathentry kind="con" path="com.ibm.wtp.server.java.core.container/com.ibm.etools.websphere.runtime.core.runtimeTarget.v51/was.base.v51"/>
<classpathentry kind="lib" path="/EPSApl/commons-io-1.2.jar"/>
<classpathentry exported="true" kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.module.container"/>
<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jst.server.core.container/com.ibm.ws.ast.st.runtime.runtimeTarget.v61/was.base.v61"/>
<classpathentry kind="con" path="org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/WebSphere v6.1 JRE"/>
<classpathentry kind="output" path="ejbModule"/>
</classpath>

We are getting errors of "build path contains duplicate entry".

The only way to stop the errors is to alter any line in the .classpath file (in any legal way) and rebuild.

The questions boil down to:
1) should we have these lines in both files referring to WAS 5.1?
2) is the .runtime file still being used by RAD v7.0?
Many thanks in advance....
Updated on 2012-06-19T12:10:35Z at 2012-06-19T12:10:35Z by SystemAdmin
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

Re: RAD v7.0 Duplicate entry issue possibly caused by .runtime or .classpath files

‏2007-07-06T05:33:26Z  
    Hello,

Did you find a solution to the below issues?
    I'm also getting a build path contains duplicate entry: '.....' for project '.....'.
    Although, when I look in the .classpath file for this project, I cannot see any duplicate entries here for the entry that is mentioned in the error message.

When running the application on the local server within the workspace I'm also getting an error: "Error 500: SRVE0203E: Servlet action: org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet was found, but is missing another required class. SRVE0206E: This error typically implies that the servlet was originally compiled with classes which cannot be located by the server. SRVE0187E: Check your classpath to ensure that all classes required by the servlet are present.SRVE0210I: This problem can be debugged by recompiling the servlet using only the classes in the application's runtime classpath SRVE0234I"

I've attached all shared libraries to the application as I did in WAS5.1. Does WAS6.1 build the classpath differently? Or can this be caused by the entry of the was.base.v51 in the .classpath file?
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

Re: RAD v7.0 Duplicate entry issue possibly caused by .runtime or .classpath files

‏2007-07-09T07:51:21Z  
    Hello,

Did you find a solution to the below issues?
    I'm also getting a build path contains duplicate entry: '.....' for project '.....'.
    Although, when I look in the .classpath file for this project, I cannot see any duplicate entries here for the entry that is mentioned in the error message.

When running the application on the local server within the workspace I'm also getting an error: "Error 500: SRVE0203E: Servlet action: org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet was found, but is missing another required class. SRVE0206E: This error typically implies that the servlet was originally compiled with classes which cannot be located by the server. SRVE0187E: Check your classpath to ensure that all classes required by the servlet are present.SRVE0210I: This problem can be debugged by recompiling the servlet using only the classes in the application's runtime classpath SRVE0234I"

I've attached all shared libraries to the application as I did in WAS5.1. Does WAS6.1 build the classpath differently? Or can this be caused by the entry of the was.base.v51 in the .classpath file?
    It turns out we get the error after doing any kind of debugging within RAD.
    It seems that extra references are added the "EAR libraries" entry under Java Build Path | Libraries in our web application project properties.

It looks like that a timely upgrade to RAD v7.0.0.3 may have solved the problem.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

‏2007-07-18T22:10:06Z  
    It turns out we get the error after doing any kind of debugging within RAD.
    It seems that extra references are added the "EAR libraries" entry under Java Build Path | Libraries in our web application project properties.

It looks like that a timely upgrade to RAD v7.0.0.3 may have solved the problem.
    7.0.0.3 does not solve the problem. From their readme.txt

Error "Unnecessary classpath entries duplicating MANIFEST.MF entries" in J2EE project

When working with J2EE projects, you might see an error message "Unnecessary classpath entries duplicating MANIFEST.MF entries" in the Problems view.; These errors might prevent you from being able to deploy the application to the sever.

Cause:

The project contains a .classpath entry which is unnecessary because the class path information is computed dynamically from the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file (which is the method that is used at runtime). The result is an error message reporting that the .classpath entry is unnecessary.

Workaround:

To fix this error, either remove the .classpath entry manually or right-click on the error and select Quickfix to have the .classpath entry automatically removed. If there are many errors of this type in the project, they can all be fixed simultaneously:

1. Right-click one of the errors,
    2. Select Quickfix.
    3. In the Quickfix dialog, select Find similar problems.
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

‏2007-08-16T16:15:12Z  

Error "Unnecessary classpath entries duplicating MANIFEST.MF entries" in J2EE project

When working with J2EE projects, you might see an error message "Unnecessary classpath entries duplicating MANIFEST.MF entries" in the Problems view.; These errors might prevent you from being able to deploy the application to the sever.

Cause:

The project contains a .classpath entry which is unnecessary because the class path information is computed dynamically from the META-INF/MANIFEST.MF file (which is the method that is used at runtime). The result is an error message reporting that the .classpath entry is unnecessary.

Workaround:

To fix this error, either remove the .classpath entry manually or right-click on the error and select Quickfix to have the .classpath entry automatically removed. If there are many errors of this type in the project, they can all be fixed simultaneously:

2. Select Quickfix.
    In my attempt to continue to find information on this topic, I found this to be very helpful:

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?forum=430&thread=169793&cat=24
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

‏2008-10-13T12:49:06Z  
    Hi,

We need to upgrade WAS from 5.1 to WAS 6. Currently we are using WSAD. We have to import our project into RSA 6.1 version. Please give your suggestion to complete this successfully.

Regards,
    Asha
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

‏2009-07-30T06:41:25Z  
    Hi....

I have created a project in RAD 6 with websphere6.0.
    Now i want to migrate the project to RAD 7. If i import the project means it give error and not able to add the project in server.
    please help me..........

Thanks,
    Jayaprakash.R
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    37421 Posts

‏2012-06-19T12:10:35Z  

Cause:

Workaround:

2. Select Quickfix.
    The "Quickfix" tip was helpful. Thank You.