Topic
12 replies Latest Post - ‏2012-05-04T14:58:52Z by Tivoli_Ying
SystemAdmin
SystemAdmin
770 Posts
ACCEPTED ANSWER

Pinned topic Deleting a post

‏2007-06-26T20:15:01Z |
Why we dont provide an option to delete a post? Many cases it might feel necessary to delete after posting, probably because of an error or a duplicate post etc. It sure makes it weird to let delete a post which has been responded to, but till then may be we should give the option to delete.
Updated on 2012-05-04T14:58:52Z at 2012-05-04T14:58:52Z by Tivoli_Ying
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    770 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

Re: Deleting a post

‏2007-06-26T20:20:02Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    By post I meant a response (well the last one) in a thread... but may be we should allow to delete the whole thread itself if there are no responses to it.
    • msiegel
      msiegel
      117 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-06-29T01:34:24Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      Hello AC Support,
      Thanks for writing. The short answer is "no", we won't add "delete/edit posts" as a future feature. But you certainly deserve a better answer than that, so let me try to share our thinking below. And if you disagree, please let's engage in a dialogue about it. I'd like to hear an argument on why it is a business-critical requirement to have this.

The issue of deleting or editing posts comes up every now and then. It is something we have been discussing for the last 5 years or so. You can go back to July 2003 to see part of an earlier discussion: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/dw_thread.jsp?foru m=348&thread=46394&cat=24

I'll summarize what we said then and what keeps us from implanting an edit/delete feature. I acknowledge upfront that reasonable people can disagree since there are pros and cons to allowing the feature or not.

Basically, even in your question and followup, you have hit on the main point against: such a feature could cause a lot of confusion for the folks trying to follow a thread. It can open lots of issues that we think aren't worth the minimal benefits.

For example, Wilma posts a controversial message saying "A". Fred gets fired up and wants to respond, but decides to sleep on it. Wilma rethinks things and changes her message to "B". So when Fred returns to respond, he can't find a shred of evidence that Wilma ever said "A". Fred leaves thinking he's gone bonkers.

Or what if Fred did respond to "A", and then Wilma changes her message. Fred's response is then orphaned and left hanging, perhaps not making any sense at all. There are a lot of scenarios where changing messages on the fly could cause confusion. So we decided it was best to leave a history of all messages. If folks want to change their tune, they can do it via subsequent postings.

None of this applies to a simple case of wanting to correct some typos for example. But we didn't see a way to take care of typos without opening up other, more gnarly cans of worms. So on the issue of typos, if a poster wants a perfect post, he/she must take their time and compose a carefully crafted messages the first time through.

That being said, if anybody (you included) ever wants me to take down a message so they can repost a cleaner version, I am happy to do this. I can also edit posts for typos and other little things. Though once posted, there is no way to recall the copies that may have gone out via e-mail subscriptions.

Yours, Marc

Marc Siegel
      IBM Rational developerWorks Community Manager
      408.463.5278, email: marcsiegel at us.ibm.com, AIM: marcsiegel10
      Updated on 2007-06-29T01:34:24Z at 2007-06-29T01:34:24Z by msiegel
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        770 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2007-07-02T04:08:29Z  in response to msiegel
        Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick response, definitely makes lot of sense. But I still feel, it could be doable with a simple check. This is just a suggestion. Edit/Delete would be allowed only if there is no response to it. You might need to do the check twice for edit, once before starting to edit and second before saving the changes. Everyone makes mistakes, no matter how hard you try. It may not be always spellings, could be incorrect info/qn etc. Of course it is not business critical, but more of being user friendly and making life easier for all Happy
        • SystemAdmin
          SystemAdmin
          770 Posts
          ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-22T22:15:35Z  in response to SystemAdmin
          Another possibility would be to allow deletes within a short time period, say, 5 minutes.

Mark S. Williams
          Software Engineer
          Safeway Inc.
          mark.williams6 at safeway dot com
          • msiegel
            msiegel
            117 Posts
            ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-01-26T00:01:45Z  in response to SystemAdmin
            Hello Mark,
            Currently there is now a short window after people post that allows them an opportunity to edit their own post without the intervention of any community leaders. By in large, in my mind, that addresses the item. If people make a mistake and they proofread their message in a timely way, they can indeed edit it.

Hello AC Support,
            I read what you say and I agree in theory. But let me write frankly... For me the nicest "nice to have" would be if we had extra resources to implement even the critical items. The "nice to haves" are so far down the priority list that I do not think we'll ever get there gven our severe resources constraints. I personally wish it weren't so, but it is.

Have a great weekend folks and thanks for continuing to engage on all of these issues.
            Your ideas are helpful.
            Yours, Marc

Marc Siegel
            408.705.0666 (personal cell), email: marcsiegel at us.ibm.com, AIM: marcsiegel1

• msiegel
              msiegel
              117 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2008-02-15T13:51:21Z  in response to msiegel
              Hello,
              I have an update on the request for people who created posts to be able to delete/edit them.

We have changed a bit so that people are free to modify their own posts as long as the post does not have any responses. Once a post has been responded to, then the original person posting loses the ability to edit.

All the objections to editing relate to it creating confusion when an earlier post changes such that follow on messages don't make sense any more. So by choosing the option I mentioned above, we preserve the ability for people to edit but until up to a point.

Our best advice remains that if you are really concerned about the details of your message, take the time to do it properly the first time. Once it posts, then look at the results right away and make any corrections immediately.
              Yours, Marc

Marc Siegel
              408.705.0666 (personal cell), email: marcsiegel at us.ibm.com, AIM: marcsiegel10
            • SystemAdmin
              SystemAdmin
              770 Posts
              ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-02T12:44:54Z  in response to msiegel
              Currently there is now a short window after people post that allows them an opportunity to edit their own post

How do you do this?

I cannot see a button anywhere on a recent post I make that says 'edit this post' or whatever?
              • JAntley
                JAntley
                109 Posts
                ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-03-02T18:47:56Z  in response to SystemAdmin
                Hello SeanF,

Currently there is no way to edit a message once it has been posted. Requesting deletion is the only alternative.

Jeff Antley
                developerWorks Feedback Team
  • SystemAdmin
    SystemAdmin
    770 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-06T15:18:51Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have posted a thread in to wrong forum, how can i delete it.
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=348439
    Delete it
    • john.holtman
      john.holtman
      64 Posts
      ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2010-10-06T15:28:07Z  in response to SystemAdmin
      PrakashPatel,

The thread has been deleted. Thanks for using developerWorks.
      John Holtman
      developerWorks Content Team
      • SystemAdmin
        SystemAdmin
        770 Posts
        ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-02-10T06:33:07Z  in response to john.holtman
        Hi,

Request you to delete this post "http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=14788029"
  • Tivoli_Ying
    Tivoli_Ying
    2 Posts
    ACCEPTED ANSWER

‏2012-05-04T14:58:52Z  in response to SystemAdmin
    I have posted a duplicate thread, pls help to delete below one. Thank you.
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=427331&# 38;tstart=0